Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer

Ron Avanzino

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
I understand that using Protected Mode is the default setting for IE7 and
IE8. I'm not saying that disabling Protected Mode is a permanent solution
to this problem. I'm all for enhanced security. The fact that the problem
goes away when Proteced Mode is disabled should tell us something and lead
us to a more secure solution. Obviously, we need to be able to access our
email. It's one of the primary reasons we have a computer in the first
place.

I will try posting a message in the Y!Mail newsgroup or contacting Yahoo
Support. Thank you for your input and interest in this problem.

> [...]

> your default Mail Client such that clicking on IE's Mail button will
> automatically open your browser to Yahoo Mail page and clicking on a
> MailTo link will do the same.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Ron Avanzino wrote:
>> Thank you for mentioning Internet Explorer Protected Mode. When I turn
>> off
>> protected mode using Tools->Internet Options->Security->(Uncheck) Enable
>> Protected Mode, and restart IE, I no longer experience the problem. So,
>> think the problem has something to do with Protected Mode. This would
>> explain why I don't have a problem when using Firefox.
>>
>> I found one other person who had a similar problem and traced it to
>> Protected Mode.
>> http://www.fixya.com/support/t164052...mail_when_ie_7
>>
>> Ways to turn off Protected Mode are described at this site:
>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...rotected-mode/
>>
>> The yahoo login page "https://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=us" is a
>> secure page, but the page that comes up next after login
>> (http://us.mg201.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?......)
>> is insecure. Also, the address of this next page changes each time I
>> login
>> to Yahoo Mail.
>>
>> Regarding your other questions:
>>
>> 1. As I explained in the other thread, I had installed and ran numerous
>> malware scanners and they never came up with anything significant. I
>> don't
>> think you actually recommended a "clean install" but in any event, a
>> "clean
>> install" is a last resort. I filed a Windows Support Request with
>> Microsoft, as you suggested, and followed their instructions. They
>> eventually sent me a free, operating system DVD, which I did not have
>> previously, so I could do the In-Place Upgrade. I was pretty much
>> obligated
>> to follow their recommendations. Yes, it's always possible that the
>> computer could be infected with malware that has not been discovered yet
>> and
>> that the malware scanners don't know about.
>>
>> 2. The NIS free trial was not re-installed with the in-place upgrade.
>> The
>> upgrade disk came directly from Microsoft; the NIS was from Symantec,
>> pre-installed by Lenovo and was already gone when I did the in-place
>> upgrade. I ran a Norton removal tool each time before installing Norton
>> 360.
>>
>> 3. I did as you suggested by changing the home page and then restarting
>> IE.
>> It doesn't matter what home page I use. I still have the same problem.
>> even tried www.google.com as the home page.
>>
>> I right-clicked on the Mail link and selected "Open a new window". I saw
>> the same problem behavior.

>>> [PMIE = Internet Explorer Protected Mode, part of UAC.]
>>>
>>> 1. If your earlier problems were caused by hijackware, doing an In-Place
>>> Upgrade (Repair Install) may have resolved the Windows Update problems
>>> but
>>> it would NOT have resolved the hijackware infections, Ron. This is why
>>> recommended doing a "clean install" (in the other thread).
>>>
>>> 2. When you did the In-Place Upgrade, the NIS free trial would have been
>>> reinstalled (but invalid). After doing the In-Place Upgrade, did you
>>> also
>>> run the Norton Removal Tool prior to installing N360?
>>>
>>> 3. With UAC enabled: If you reset your home page to www.yahoo.com, close
>>> all IE windows, and then open a new IE window, can you successfully
>>> sign-in to your account use the Mail link on that page?
>>>
>>> If not, right-click on the Mail link and select "Open in new window",
>>> then
>>> see if you can sign-in.

Re: Unable to access Yahoo Mail using Internet Explorer
Yahoo Mail (button & links) are the problem, not UAC/PMIE, Ron. Good luck.