Very small text fields in IE8

Avi

Very small text fields in IE8
I've installed IE8 on my Vista 64 24" Monitor. For some reason the text
fields became very tiny, even as other text is more of less normal. How can
I fix it.
Thanks
Avi

VanguardLH

Re: Very small text fields in IE8
Avi wrote:

> I've installed IE8 on my Vista 64 24" Monitor. For some reason the
> text fields became very tiny, even as other text is more of less
> normal. How can I fix it.

Wow, how did you manage to install software on a monitor?

Do you use some 3rd party theme manager, like WindowsBlinds? Those
products may not yet be IE8 compatible (i.e., they screw up the window
display for IE8). Either you uninstall them or see if they can be
configure to NOT alter the window contents of IE8.
Avi

Re: Very small text fields in IE8
No I don't have WindowsBlinds.
My monitor is wide a screen 24" and EI8 opens wide. Some fonts are too big
some are too small . The entire display looks very bad.

Avi wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>
>> Avi wrote:
>>>
>>> I've installed IE8 on my Vista 64 24" Monitor. For some reason the
>>> text fields became very tiny, even as other text is more of less
>>> normal. How can I fix it.

>> Wow, how did you manage to install software on a monitor?
>>
>> Do you use some 3rd party theme manager, like WindowsBlinds? Those
>> products may not yet be IE8 compatible (i.e., they screw up the window
>> display for IE8). Either you uninstall them or see if they can be
>> configure to NOT alter the window contents of IE8.

> No I don't have WindowsBlinds.
> My monitor is wide a screen 24" and EI8 opens wide. Some fonts are too big
> some are too small . The entire display looks very bad.

WindowsBlinds was an *example* of 3rd party theming software. There may
be others.

Did you check that you are using a standard theme included with Vista?

Is this a new problem just in IE8 and not back in IE7? Or was it also a
problem in IE7?
Robert Aldwinckle

"Avi" <adubnikov@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:1B638340-84A6-46E7-816D-E97AAB7F515E@microsoft.com...
> I've installed IE8 on my Vista 64 24" Monitor. For some reason the text
> fields became very tiny, even as other text is more of less normal. How can
> I fix it.

Another poster having this symptom resolved it by figuring out which
font was being used and deleting it...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...a69&sloc=en-us

> Thanks
> Avi

Avi

Re: Very small text fields in IE8
There was always a display problem with IE7 that IE8 solved. I think that
the problem might have emerged after i installed a new version of Java.

Avi wrote:

> VanguardLHwrote ...
>>
>> Avi wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> No I don't have WindowsBlinds.

>> WindowsBlinds was an *example* of 3rd party theming software. There
>> may be others.
>>
>> Did you check that you are using a standard theme included with
>> Vista?
>>
>> Is this a new problem just in IE8 and not back in IE7? Or was it
>> also a problem in IE7?

> There was always a display problem with IE7 that IE8 solved. I
> think that the problem might have emerged after i installed a new
> version of Java.

I can't see how Java would be involved unless the problem you
experience is exhibited only at sites that use Java applets - which you
did not mention.

You could always uninstall all versions of Java to check.
Avi

Re: Very small text fields in IE8
I don't know how to uninstall the latest Java version, there's no obvious
way.

> Avi wrote:
>
>> VanguardLHwrote ...

>>> WindowsBlinds was an *example* of 3rd party theming software. There
>>> may be others.
>>>
>>> Did you check that you are using a standard theme included with
>>> Vista?
>>>
>>> Is this a new problem just in IE8 and not back in IE7? Or was it
>>> also a problem in IE7?

>> There was always a display problem with IE7 that IE8 solved. I
>> think that the problem might have emerged after i installed a new
>> version of Java.

> I can't see how Java would be involved unless the problem you
> experience is exhibited only at sites that use Java applets - which you
> did not mention.
>
> You could always uninstall all versions of Java to check.

Steve Hebert

Re: Very small text fields in IE8
Java can usually be uninstalled from that Add & Remove Programs utility in
Control Panel.

Try this first though: In IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab.
In the 'browsing' section, uncheck the option for 'enable visual styles on
buttons and controls....'

Steve

>I don't know how to uninstall the latest Java version, there's no obvious
>way.
>
> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Avi wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLHwrote ...

>>> There was always a display problem with IE7 that IE8 solved. I
>>> think that the problem might have emerged after i installed a new
>>> version of Java.

>> I can't see how Java would be involved unless the problem you
>> experience is exhibited only at sites that use Java applets - which you
>> did not mention.
>>
>> You could always uninstall all versions of Java to check.

DerekMorrison is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Very small text fields in IE8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hebert View Post
Java can usually be uninstalled from that Add & Remove Programs utility in
Control Panel.

Try this first though: In IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab.
In the 'browsing' section, uncheck the option for 'enable visual styles on
buttons and controls....'

Steve
Thank You Steve!

IE8 is fairly new on my system and recently the text box / font size was so small that it looked like each character was a dot.

I tried your suggestion and now text boxes are back to normal.

BTW. I am running window blinds on XP, so that may have something to do with the problem. There was no problem with IE7 and I don't think there was any problem with IE8 when it was first installed. (maybe 'patch tuesday' made some changes) When the problem cropped up I just viewed those pages with Chrome.

Thanks again.

Derek