IE cache corruption ??

Jos

IE cache corruption ??
I have a problem reaching sites on some servers.
This is the situation:

I have several laptops with which I regularly logon to any one site on three
multi homed servers (W2003/IIS6) that I manage.
The servers run classic ASP and Mysql as the database. All three are
similarly configured and running up to 50 web sites

How it happens I don't know, but when I am with one of the laptops on the
location of one of our major clients, after a couple of hours, I can reach
with IE none of the sites on one or more of the three servers. Firefox and
Safari keep working fine.

Even after I get to another location (home for instance) I stil cannot IE
the sites on the servers.

I put a test html on the default site of the serrver :
http://217.77.141.190/index.html or http://www.ceric.nl/index.html

I still have the same problem, so it is not a DNS or ASP problem.

The page IE shows has a diagnos network button displayed. If I press that,
the report shows all is OK
If I look up the two events in the IIS log file, the actual HTTP request
never shows up. The diagnostic request does :
2009-05-08 08:44:01 W3SVC259463726 217.77.141.190 GET /index.html - 80 -
84.140.104.123 Microsoft+Windows+Network+Diagnostics 200 0 0

This narrows it down to a problem with the local cache on the laptops.
One machine went away for reparation and when it came back after three weeks
(untouched, it had a screen problem). The Ie problem had disappeared.

I did all the suggested tests: No AV, no Firewall, emptied all IE caches,
nothing helped. I also rebooted my router and had the company where the
problem first appeared restart theirs. They did not like this and it did not
help.

What did help was to create a new user, with the new user's account I can
logon to the sites. But after I use the import settings wizard the problem is
back.

If I take the laptop with the new user to the location the problem appeared,
after a few hours this users'cache is also corrupted. It also happened on the
laptop of a collegue of mine.

Both laptops are running Vista Business edition, IE version is irrelevant, I
downgraded to IE6 and that did not help.

I now have more and more users from the location the problem appeared that
complain that their sites are unreachable. I have to tell them to install
Firefox, since I have no other solution or workaround.

Is there another way to flush the user cache to make the problem go away ?
I read tons of solutions, but as I said, the new user solution is the only
one that works, and it is not a solution I can recommend on a regular basis.

Please help. I see that many people have similar problems, but none could
actually look at the server side and I tell you, the request never arrives at
IIS or is thrown out for other reasons. The other logs (system and
application) show nothing special

rob^_^

Re: IE cache corruption ??
Hi Jos,

Troubleshoot your sites by downloading and running the fiddler tool from
http://www.fiddlertool.com

The test pages you provided http://217.77.141.190/index.html or
http://www.ceric.nl/index.html

are of no use without a <head> block.

The fiddler tool will give you max-age caching values of your cached

"Firefox and
> Safari keep working fine." - they always check the cache first. Test with
> Opera that has options to read from the cache or server. All browsers
> maintain their own cache. Background services calling home (see below)
> will be using winsoc.

My guess would be that you clients have incorrect Disk Space Allocations for
the TIF (Recommended 50-250 MB). A value greater than 250Mb is not
recommended and does not necessarily mean better performance. See the
default value that is allocated on your new User account. (Tools>Internet
Options - General tab, Browsing History 'Settings' button.)

Unbeknown to you there are background processes continually calling home
(fiddler will show you your outbound traffic and responses), and slowly
filling the cache to the point that some house cleaning is undertaken and
your pages are being cleared from the cache (no max-age values?). This would
explain why it does not occur on the new User account, where these
background services/processes may not be running and/or you have the optimal
cache disk space allocations.

Unless it is happening to ALL of your clients, it is highly unlikely that it
is a server issue.

If your web site pages do not have a <head> block, this may be the reason.

Regards.

"Jos" <Jos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> laptop of a collegue of mine.
>
> Both laptops are running Vista Business edition, IE version is irrelevant,
> downgraded to IE6 and that did not help.
>
> I now have more and more users from the location the problem appeared that
> complain that their sites are unreachable. I have to tell them to install
> Firefox, since I have no other solution or workaround.
>
> Is there another way to flush the user cache to make the problem go away ?
> I read tons of solutions, but as I said, the new user solution is the only
> one that works, and it is not a solution I can recommend on a regular
> basis.
>
> Please help. I see that many people have similar problems, but none could
> actually look at the server side and I tell you, the request never arrives
> at
> IIS or is thrown out for other reasons. The other logs (system and

Thanks for the reply Rob. At one point you misunderstood me, I agree with you
that it is a problem with the client machine, not the server, since I could
find no entry for the request in the iis log meaning the request probably
never left the client.

Since AFAIK the head tag is not obligatory I left it out in my test HTML
file, in the hope to make things as simple as possible and the number of
handlers minimal.

I now added the headers to index.html I add to most of the sites I put on
the server (Not all are built by me though)

The two URL's point to the same file.

The TIF cache is at it's default value of 50 Mb I never touch that.

I downloaded and ran the fiddler tool. Very handy tool that !

I typed in http://www.ceric.nl/index.html in IE and was rewarded in fiddler
with a red line appearing. No response had been received. All reply
indicators were empty or 0
If I issue the GET from fiddler I get a normal reply, what you would expect
basically.
Of course I then hit the clear cache button in fiddler and tried again in
IE. Same result, IE gives a network error with diagnose button, fiddler a red
entry for the GET.

This means it's not the IE cache per se, but what it is beats me completely

Hope you or someone has more clues

"rob^_^" wrote:

> [...]

> > laptop of a collegue of mine.
> >
> > Both laptops are running Vista Business edition, IE version is irrelevant,
> > downgraded to IE6 and that did not help.
> >
> > I now have more and more users from the location the problem appeared that
> > complain that their sites are unreachable. I have to tell them to install
> > Firefox, since I have no other solution or workaround.
> >
> > Is there another way to flush the user cache to make the problem go away ?
> > I read tons of solutions, but as I said, the new user solution is the only
> > one that works, and it is not a solution I can recommend on a regular
> > basis.
> >
> > Please help. I see that many people have similar problems, but none could
> > actually look at the server side and I tell you, the request never arrives
> > at
> > IIS or is thrown out for other reasons. The other logs (system and

Are the laptops ever connected to the internet outside of your
client's/clients' offices? (We don't know if the machines belong to one or
multiple clients.)

> Both laptops are running Vista Business edition, IE version is irrelevant,
> downgraded to IE6 and that did not help.

IE version *is* relevant if the machine's had been upgraded to IE8 (even a
beta build) at any point.

PS: Please tell us how you downgraded Vista machines to IE6?

Jos wrote:
> [...]
> the laptop of a collegue of mine.
>
> Both laptops are running Vista Business edition, IE version is irrelevant,
> downgraded to IE6 and that did not help.
>
> I now have more and more users from the location the problem appeared that
> complain that their sites are unreachable. I have to tell them to install
> Firefox, since I have no other solution or workaround.
>
> Is there another way to flush the user cache to make the problem go away ?
> I read tons of solutions, but as I said, the new user solution is the only
> one that works, and it is not a solution I can recommend on a regular
> basis.
>
> Please help. I see that many people have similar problems, but none could
> actually look at the server side and I tell you, the request never arrives
> at IIS or is thrown out for other reasons. The other logs (system and

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE cache corruption ??

"Jos" <Jos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77915BAC-CA97-42EC-B65A-9AEA80D4A212@microsoft.com...

> I downloaded and ran the fiddler tool. Very handy tool that !
>
> I typed in http://www.ceric.nl/index.html in IE and was rewarded in fiddler
> with a red line appearing. No response had been received. All reply
> indicators were empty or 0
> If I issue the GET from fiddler I get a normal reply, what you would expect
> basically.
> Of course I then hit the clear cache button in fiddler and tried again in
> IE. Same result, IE gives a network error with diagnose button, fiddler a red
> entry for the GET.
>
> This means it's not the IE cache per se, but what it is beats me completely

Probably User-Agent. Try using Compatibility mode (for MSIE 7.0.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE cache corruption ??

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:OvHjeLB0JHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> Probably User-Agent. Try using Compatibility mode (for MSIE 7.0.)

Since you're claiming IE version doesn't matter IE8's compatibility mode
won't help. Nevertheless all your symptoms point to a problem with the
UA string--whether it is corrupt or just being ignored by the server because
it is from IE.

Go here and post the results of the User-Agent: line:

http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx

Make sure you capture the whole thing.

You can also compare what you get when you enter this from
the Address bar:

javascript:navigator.userAgent

which should be the same as that Object Model UA String button
but just easier to capture.

HTH

Robert
---

Jos

Re: IE cache corruption ??
Hi Rob,

I just downgraded to IE7 again, just to make sure version did not matter
The user agent stirng gave a warning in the fiddler tool as being too long,
and you are right, it looks mighty curiuous.

(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; Embedded Web Browser from:
http://bsalsa.com/; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; eSobiSubscriber 2.0.4.16; .NET
CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)

It looks as though the bsalsa part and esobisubscriber part are viral. They
look unfamiliar to me

I'll try to clean that up and post the results.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> [...]

> > laptop of a collegue of mine.
> >
> > Both laptops are running Vista Business edition, IE version is irrelevant,
> > downgraded to IE6 and that did not help.
> >
> > I now have more and more users from the location the problem appeared that
> > complain that their sites are unreachable. I have to tell them to install
> > Firefox, since I have no other solution or workaround.
> >
> > Is there another way to flush the user cache to make the problem go away ?
> > I read tons of solutions, but as I said, the new user solution is the only
> > one that works, and it is not a solution I can recommend on a regular
> > basis.
> >
> > Please help. I see that many people have similar problems, but none could
> > actually look at the server side and I tell you, the request never arrives
> > at
> > IIS or is thrown out for other reasons. The other logs (system and

Sorry, that was a typo, IE7 of course.
I just did that again to verify nothing had changed and nothing has.

The user agent string has some unfamiliar addons :

(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; Embedded Web Browser from:
http://bsalsa.com/; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; eSobiSubscriber 2.0.4.16; .NET
CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)

However if IIS rejects the UA string is it not supposed to send that as an
error message to the client, or at least log the fact ? As I said i see
nothing in the IIS log if I issue a request from the machine with the problem.

The machine I'm testing this with is my personal laptop. It is usually
connected to the internet, through many different means and gateways, and in
a number of different countries, as I'm a roaming user.

Until I solve this, I'm forced to use FF to access the sites on my own
servers.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > the laptop of a collegue of mine.
> >
> > Both laptops are running Vista Business edition, IE version is irrelevant,
> > downgraded to IE6 and that did not help.
> >
> > I now have more and more users from the location the problem appeared that
> > complain that their sites are unreachable. I have to tell them to install
> > Firefox, since I have no other solution or workaround.
> >
> > Is there another way to flush the user cache to make the problem go away ?
> > I read tons of solutions, but as I said, the new user solution is the only
> > one that works, and it is not a solution I can recommend on a regular
> > basis.
> >
> > Please help. I see that many people have similar problems, but none could
> > actually look at the server side and I tell you, the request never arrives
> > at IIS or is thrown out for other reasons. The other logs (system and

SOLVED in part Re: IE cache corruption ??
Thanks everybody, becaus of your hints I at least found out how to solve the
problem, even though I still do not know how it got there in the first place.
Also, I cannot recommend tweaking the registry to customers having the same
problem.

Anyway, here's what I found:

Wicked, wicked. It turns out that I had a user agent string in the registry,
which was added to the default UA string the browser would normally send, so
there were two similar entries in the UA.

In the case below, the browser sent :

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0;

But because of registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntversion\Internet
settings\User Agent\Post Platform\Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows
NT 5.1; SV1) ;

it also sent Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ;

All other keys turn out to be "legitimate" or spyware crap. I'll remove them
one by one.

How the extra key got there and why it prevented IIS from responding i would
very much like to find out. Cna it really have been the length ? (249)
The customer where the problem first appeared is running gateway software.
Could that tweak my UA string this way ?