Google

Ollie

Google
The last few weeks IE will not access any google sites. Why?
TaurArian

Re: Google
We don't know, perhaps you would like to tell the folk here what OS you're
running (and SP level) and which IE version you're using.
Provide further information and anything that may be relevant and perhaps
someone may be able to assist.

Have you actually considered a malware infection or virus related problem?

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Ollie" <Ollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsEBA246D-74D0-4F31-B13A-14AE14139CBD@microsoft.com...
> The last few weeks IE will not access any google sites. Why?

Ollie

Re: Google
I have ran a full sweep several times and quarantined anything questionable.
I am running XP.
The problem started when I downloaded IE 8. Today I went back to IE 7
thinking that might solve the problem but it is still there.
I would contact Google and see what they think except I cant pull up their
site.

It's pretty strange. Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

Thanks for responding,

"TaurArian" wrote:

> We don't know, perhaps you would like to tell the folk here what OS you're
> running (and SP level) and which IE version you're using.
> Provide further information and anything that may be relevant and perhaps
> someone may be able to assist.
>
> Have you actually considered a malware infection or virus related problem?
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>

> "Ollie" <Ollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsEBA246D-74D0-4F31-B13A-14AE14139CBD@microsoft.com...
> > The last few weeks IE will not access any google sites. Why?

TaurArian

Re: Google
Hi Ollie, I haven't installed IE8 as yet (maybe I won't yet), so I'm not
sure how to assist you.

Try IE in no add ons mode and see if that helps.

Perhaps someone here may have more suggestions for you.

--

>I have ran a full sweep several times and quarantined anything
>questionable.
> I am running XP.
> The problem started when I downloaded IE 8. Today I went back to IE 7
> thinking that might solve the problem but it is still there.
> I would contact Google and see what they think except I cant pull up their
> site.
>

> It's pretty strange. Any thoughts/help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks for responding,
>

> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> We don't know, perhaps you would like to tell the folk here what OS
>> you're
>> running (and SP level) and which IE version you're using.
>> Provide further information and anything that may be relevant and perhaps
>> someone may be able to assist.
>>
>> Have you actually considered a malware infection or virus related
>> problem?
>>
>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
>> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>>

>> "Ollie" <Ollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsEBA246D-74D0-4F31-B13A-14AE14139CBD@microsoft.com...
>> > The last few weeks IE will not access any google sites. Why?

Don Varnau

Re: Google
Hi,
As TaurArian suggested...
First...
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Next...
1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

Last... this may be a malware problem- a search engine hijack or attempted
hijack.
1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free download
for XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.

3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

4. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
Read:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
then
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

Bleeping Computer:
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Ollie" <Ollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have ran a full sweep several times and quarantined anything

questionable.
> I am running XP.
> The problem started when I downloaded IE 8. Today I went back to IE 7
> thinking that might solve the problem but it is still there.
> I would contact Google and see what they think except I cant pull up their
> site.
>

> It's pretty strange. Any thoughts/help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks for responding,

- - -
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > We don't know, perhaps you would like to tell the folk here what OS

you're
> > running (and SP level) and which IE version you're using.
> > Provide further information and anything that may be relevant and

perhaps
> > someone may be able to assist.
> >
> > Have you actually considered a malware infection or virus related

problem?

- - -
> > "Ollie" <Ollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > newsEBA246D-74D0-4F31-B13A-14AE14139CBD@microsoft.com...
> > > The last few weeks IE will not access any google sites. Why?

Jeff Layman

Re: Google
Ollie wrote:
> The last few weeks IE will not access any google sites. Why?

What do you mean exactly by "not access"? Do you get a "Not found" message,
or does IE just hang?

Can you access Google groups (http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q)?
If so, you might want to check your IE options for "Security" to make sure
you haven't included Google where it shouldn't be.

--
Jeff

Re: Google
"Full sweeps" (using what?) cannot and do not detect & remove all
hijackware.

Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What happens when you try to access, e.g., www.google.com?

1. Does the behavior persist if you access the page in Compatibility Mode?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?