Hyperlinks hijacked by Microsoft

John TCI

Hyperlinks hijacked by Microsoft
Thought that I had turned off automatic Microsoft updates on 3 family
computers.

However, during a very recent download of many updates, including Office
2007 Service Pack 2, unfortunately it also installed IE8.

Am now having problems with hyperlinks. On all 3 computers:-

(a) Have not used either IE6 or 7 for absolutely ages.
(b) The default browser is set as Firefox 3.0.10.
(c) I rejected IE8 as the default browser during installation

(A) First problem: On trying to open a hyperlink link, in a Word 2007
document on all 3 computers, it opens in IE8 (or IE7, when IE8 has been
uninstalled) and IE8 promptly crashes and goes into a vicious circle and
unsuccessfully attempts to recover itself ad infinitum.

(B) Second Problem: On trying to open a link from Outlook 2007 (however on 1
computer only) the following error message appears:-

General failure. The URL was:
http://www.blablabla.com/etc “. The system cannot find the file specified.

Have uninstalled IE8 and reset Firefox as the default and even tried
reinstalling it on one of the computers (but not a “clean” reinstall as yet).
Have also reset the Default Programs via Control Panel and turned off access
to Internet Explorer. No result. However, if IE8 or IE7 are set as the
default browser, the link from Outlook works fine. Changing back to Firefox,
the problem reappears.

Could it be something to do with the Office 2007 update and not IE8?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Re: Hyperlinks hijacked by Microsoft
[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP2; WinXP SP3; Vista
SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.

> Thought that I had turned off automatic Microsoft updates on 3 family
> computers.

Not necessarily a wise idea, even if you religiously & frequently check-in
at Microsoft Update website to install critical security updates and others.

> However, during a very recent download of many updates, including Office
> 2007 Service Pack 2, unfortunately it also installed IE8.

Assuming these two (2) updates were downloaded via Automatic Updates, you
had to approve the install of IE8, right?

Before you installed IE8 on the computers, what IE version was installed,
IE7 or IE6? Did uninstalling IE8 automatically return the machine(s) to the
previous IE version?

Was IE or FF set as your default Browser prior to installing IE8?

Last but not least, do you have an available Restore Point which predates
the install of IE8? <=JUST ASKING for now!!

John TCI wrote:
> Thought that I had turned off automatic Microsoft updates on 3 family
> computers.
>
> However, during a very recent download of many updates, including Office
> 2007 Service Pack 2, unfortunately it also installed IE8.
>
> Am now having problems with hyperlinks. On all 3 computers:-
>
> (a) Have not used either IE6 or 7 for absolutely ages.
> (b) The default browser is set as Firefox 3.0.10.
> (c) I rejected IE8 as the default browser during installation
>
> (A) First problem: On trying to open a hyperlink link, in a Word 2007
> document on all 3 computers, it opens in IE8 (or IE7, when IE8 has been
> uninstalled) and IE8 promptly crashes and goes into a vicious circle and
> unsuccessfully attempts to recover itself ad infinitum.
>
> (B) Second Problem: On trying to open a link from Outlook 2007 (however on
> 1
> computer only) the following error message appears:-
>
> General failure. The URL was:
> “http://www.blablabla.com/etc “. The system cannot find the file
> specified.
>
> Have uninstalled IE8 and reset Firefox as the default and even tried
> reinstalling it on one of the computers (but not a “clean” reinstall as
> yet). Have also reset the Default Programs via Control Panel and turned
> off
> access to Internet Explorer. No result. However, if IE8 or IE7 are set as
> the default browser, the link from Outlook works fine. Changing back to
> Firefox, the problem reappears.
>
> Could it be something to do with the Office 2007 update and not IE8?
>
> Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

John TCI

Re: Hyperlinks hijacked by Microsoft

Apologies the oversight.

Vista - Home Premium Edition (x32)
Service Pack 1
Build: 6001
Direct X version: 10.0

John TCI

Re: Hyperlinks hijacked by Microsoft
Thanks Robert,

In addition to previous answer, re Windows version, the rest of the answers
are within your original text in curly parenthesis/brackets/braces.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP2; WinXP SP3; Vista
SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.

Thought that I had turned off automatic Microsoft updates on 3 family
computers.

Not necessarily a wise idea, even if you religiously & frequently check-in
at Microsoft Update website to install critical security updates and others.
{thought I had set automatic download but ask to install}

However, during a very recent download of many updates, including Office
2007 Service Pack 2, unfortunately it also installed IE8.

Assuming these two (2) updates were downloaded via Automatic Updates, you
had to approve the install of IE8, right? {Right}

Before you installed IE8 on the computers, what IE version was installed,
IE7 or IE6? {IE7}

Did uninstalling IE8 automatically return the machine(s) to the previous IE
version? {Yes}

Was IE or FF set as your default Browser prior to installing IE8? {FF}

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed {Norton 360} and
is your subscription current? {Yes}

What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? {Norton 360}

What third-party firewall (if any)? {Norton 360}

IE8? {Yes . . . all of them}

(e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)? {Yes}

Last but not least, do you have an available Restore Point which predates
the install of IE8? <=JUST ASKING for now!! {Unfortunately no}

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> John TCI wrote:
> > Thought that I had turned off automatic Microsoft updates on 3 family
> > computers.
> >
> > However, during a very recent download of many updates, including Office
> > 2007 Service Pack 2, unfortunately it also installed IE8.
> >
> > Am now having problems with hyperlinks. On all 3 computers:-
> >
> > (a) Have not used either IE6 or 7 for absolutely ages.
> > (b) The default browser is set as Firefox 3.0.10.
> > (c) I rejected IE8 as the default browser during installation
> >
> > (A) First problem: On trying to open a hyperlink link, in a Word 2007
> > document on all 3 computers, it opens in IE8 (or IE7, when IE8 has been
> > uninstalled) and IE8 promptly crashes and goes into a vicious circle and
> > unsuccessfully attempts to recover itself ad infinitum.
> >
> > (B) Second Problem: On trying to open a link from Outlook 2007 (however on
> > 1
> > computer only) the following error message appears:-
> >
> > General failure. The URL was:
> > “http://www.blablabla.com/etc “. The system cannot find the file
> > specified.
> >
> > Have uninstalled IE8 and reset Firefox as the default and even tried
> > reinstalling it on one of the computers (but not a “clean” reinstall as
> > yet). Have also reset the Default Programs via Control Panel and turned
> > off
> > access to Internet Explorer. No result. However, if IE8 or IE7 are set as
> > the default browser, the link from Outlook works fine. Changing back to
> > Firefox, the problem reappears.
> >
> > Could it be something to do with the Office 2007 update and not IE8?
> >
> > Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Re: Hyperlinks hijacked by Microsoft
Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Tip #1: Tempoarily disable NAV, any/all Norton Add-ons, and the Norton
Firewall and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing a Windows
or Office Service Pack and/or an IE upgrade and/or a Cumulative Security
Update for IE (e.g., KB963027) & reboot twice after installing same.

Tip #2: At all costs, avoid installing any of the following at the same
time: A Windows Service Pack (e.g., Vista SP2); an Office Service Pack
(e.g., Office 2007 SP2); an IE upgrade (e.g., IE8); and/or critical security
updates for Windows and/or Office. To be able to adhere to the above,
you'll need to configure Automatic Updates to the "Notify Only" setting; see
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...dowsvista.mspx
(Vista) or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525 (WinXP).

Tip #3: Your Office applications (e.g., Outlook) will be much happier with
IE configured as the default browser.

Good luck. Wish I had better news for you.
--
~PA Bear

John TCI wrote:
> [...]
>>> on
>>> 1
>>> computer only) the following error message appears:-
>>>
>>> General failure. The URL was:
>>> “http://www.blablabla.com/etc “. The system cannot find the file
>>> specified.
>>>
>>> Have uninstalled IE8 and reset Firefox as the default and even tried
>>> reinstalling it on one of the computers (but not a “clean” reinstall as
>>> yet). Have also reset the Default Programs via Control Panel and turned
>>> off
>>> access to Internet Explorer. No result. However, if IE8 or IE7 are set
>>> as
>>> the default browser, the link from Outlook works fine. Changing back to
>>> Firefox, the problem reappears.
>>>
>>> Could it be something to do with the Office 2007 update and not IE8?
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Sincere thanks for taking your time to explain all the details and may I
profusely apologise for making an error in your name last time.

Bad news indeed about the format & clean install of Windows. I am not a
computer WizKid, (I’m actually retired) and I know that doing it on all 3
computers will take me ages.

Nevertheless, one has to be positive and I prefer to see it as an
opportunity rather than a disaster.

To wit: I have been very unhappy with both Vista and Office 2007. Appreciate
that opinions about such things are very personal . . . but for me, putting
aside the slowness, instability and frequent crashes, my main
problem/criticism is that there were just too many changes all at once. For
example: many of the old “right clicks and the drop down lists” just vanished
or changed completely overnight and I waste an inordinate amount of time just
looking for them, often unsuccessfully, especially in Office 2007.

I am almost certainly going to install Office 2003 instead of 2007 (if I can
find the old installation disks) and am seriously considering Windows 7
instead of Vista on at least one computer. Before I attempt it on the laptop,
which seems to have more problems than the 2 desktops, I would very much
value your opinion:-

(a) Is System Recovery from the Factory image the same as your recommended
“format and clean install”?

(b) Windows 7 (yes or no?)

(c) If yes to (b), would it be easier/wiser to first install from the
Factory image and then install Windows 7?

(d) If yes to (c) Is it better to have the 2 Operating Systems (Vista and/or
Windows 7) on completely separate partitions (I have Norton Partition Magic
v8.05, so can easily create a new partition for Windows 7)

(e) However, would it be better to start from scratch and just install
Windows 7?

(f) If yes to (d) is it best to create a new partition for it?

Seems I have enough resources for Windows 7: The 2 PCs have 2.5Gb of memory
each and the laptop has 3Gb. They respectively have 500Gb, 300Gb and 220Gb
hard drives and 2.7GHz Dual Core, 2.5GHz Dual Core and 2.0Ghz 2 Duo
processors.

Many thanks in advance

Re: Hyperlinks hijacked by Microsoft
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
access this newsgroup via the web-interface you're using, John. Thank you.]

(a) Yes, assuming you do it correctly. Contact the manufacturer's Tech
Support (pages).

(b) Perhaps, but understand that Win7's still in development, even though a
Release Candidate is available for beta testing. (Many consider Win7 to be
"Vista SP3" or "Vista Lite.")

(c) Yes, I would return the machine to OOBE (like new) state and then
purchase & install an Upgrade to Win7.

(d) You can dual-boot and install a retail version of Win7 on another
partition but you can't install an Upgrade on another partition.

(e) & (f) See my answer to (c) above.

Please begin a new thread in a Vista-specific newsgroup (e.g., Vista
General) if you have additional questions, John. We're getting very OT
here.
--
~PA Bear

John TCI wrote:
> Sincere thanks for taking your time to explain all the details and may I
> profusely apologise for making an error in your name last time.
>
> Bad news indeed about the format & clean install of Windows. I am not a
> computer WizKid, (I’m actually retired) and I know that doing it on all 3
> computers will take me ages.
>
> Nevertheless, one has to be positive and I prefer to see it as an
> opportunity rather than a disaster.
>
> To wit: I have been very unhappy with both Vista and Office 2007.
> Appreciate
> that opinions about such things are very personal . . . but for me,
> putting
> aside the slowness, instability and frequent crashes, my main
> problem/criticism is that there were just too many changes all at once.
> For
> example: many of the old “right clicks and the drop down lists” just
> vanished or changed completely overnight and I waste an inordinate amount
> of time just looking for them, often unsuccessfully, especially in Office
> 2007.
>
> I am almost certainly going to install Office 2003 instead of 2007 (if I
> can
> find the old installation disks) and am seriously considering Windows 7
> instead of Vista on at least one computer. Before I attempt it on the
> laptop, which seems to have more problems than the 2 desktops, I would
> very
> much value your opinion:-
>
> (a) Is System Recovery from the Factory image the same as your recommended
> “format and clean install”?
>
> (b) Windows 7 (yes or no?)
>
> (c) If yes to (b), would it be easier/wiser to first install from the
> Factory image and then install Windows 7?
>
> (d) If yes to (c) Is it better to have the 2 Operating Systems (Vista
> and/or
> Windows 7) on completely separate partitions (I have Norton Partition
> Magic
> v8.05, so can easily create a new partition for Windows 7)
>
> (e) However, would it be better to start from scratch and just install
> Windows 7?
>
> (f) If yes to (d) is it best to create a new partition for it?
>
> Seems I have enough resources for Windows 7: The 2 PCs have 2.5Gb of
> memory
> each and the laptop has 3Gb. They respectively have 500Gb, 300Gb and 220Gb
> hard drives and 2.7GHz Dual Core, 2.5GHz Dual Core and 2.0Ghz 2 Duo
> processors.
>
> Many thanks in advance

<PASTE>