unwanted audio (voice, music, etc) playing

Beemer Biker

unwanted audio (voice, music, etc) playing
I have unchecked IE7's Tools-InternetOptions -Advance- "Play Sounds in web
pages" but I still get crap being played
on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/cd3jb5 (sales pitch for memory) and on other
sites as well, not just ebay.

I do not want any audio played unless I click on a button to play something.
Surely, there must be some setting for this other than turning the speakers
off.

...TIA..

Leonard Grey

Re: unwanted audio (voice, music, etc) playing
Keeping your version of Windows a big secret? Here are instructions for XP:

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume tab > 'Place volume
icon in the taskbar'

Two clicks to mute; 2 to un-mute. Ahhh...
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Beemer Biker wrote:
> I have unchecked IE7's Tools-InternetOptions -Advance- "Play Sounds in
> web pages" but I still get crap being played
> on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/cd3jb5 (sales pitch for memory) and on
> other sites as well, not just ebay.
>
> I do not want any audio played unless I click on a button to play
> something. Surely, there must be some setting for this other than
> turning the speakers off.
>
> ..TIA..

Beemer Biker

> Keeping your version of Windows a big secret? Here are instructions for
> XP:
>
> Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume tab > 'Place volume icon
> in the taskbar'
>
> Two clicks to mute; 2 to un-mute. Ahhh...
> ---

Been there, done that. Two clicks to too much for that t-shirt.

Just want one click to play and no play if no clicks. Is that too much to
ask for?

FF has the same problem, not just IE7 so this is a windows thing. Vista-64
here.

> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Beemer Biker wrote:
>> I have unchecked IE7's Tools-InternetOptions -Advance- "Play Sounds in
>> web pages" but I still get crap being played
>> on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/cd3jb5 (sales pitch for memory) and on
>> other sites as well, not just ebay.
>>
>> I do not want any audio played unless I click on a button to play
>> something. Surely, there must be some setting for this other than turning
>> the speakers off.
>>
>> ..TIA..

Leonard Grey

Re: unwanted audio (voice, music, etc) playing
Do your speakers have a volume control?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Beemer Biker wrote:
>> Keeping your version of Windows a big secret? Here are instructions
>> for XP:
>>
>> Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume tab > 'Place volume
>> icon in the taskbar'
>>
>> Two clicks to mute; 2 to un-mute. Ahhh...
>> ---

> Been there, done that. Two clicks to too much for that t-shirt.
>
> Just want one click to play and no play if no clicks. Is that too much
> to ask for?
>
> FF has the same problem, not just IE7 so this is a windows thing.
> Vista-64 here.
>
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Beemer Biker wrote:
>>> I have unchecked IE7's Tools-InternetOptions -Advance- "Play Sounds
>>> in web pages" but I still get crap being played
>>> on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/cd3jb5 (sales pitch for memory) and on
>>> other sites as well, not just ebay.
>>>
>>> I do not want any audio played unless I click on a button to play
>>> something. Surely, there must be some setting for this other than
>>> turning the speakers off.
>>>
>>> ..TIA..

Beemer Biker

> Do your speakers have a volume control?

last time i checked they certainly did. The are set for the correct volumn
for all my youtube videos and games. Fortunately, I am not visual impaired
where the unwanted audio would conflict with a page reader.

Say , have you been by redmond recently? Are you missing any days you
cannot account for?

> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Beemer Biker wrote:
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Keeping your version of Windows a big secret? Here are instructions for
>>> XP:
>>>
>>> Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume tab > 'Place volume
>>> icon in the taskbar'
>>>
>>> Two clicks to mute; 2 to un-mute. Ahhh...
>>> ---

>> Been there, done that. Two clicks to too much for that t-shirt.
>>
>> Just want one click to play and no play if no clicks. Is that too much
>> to ask for?
>>
>> FF has the same problem, not just IE7 so this is a windows thing.
>> Vista-64 here.
>>
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Donald Anadell

"Beemer Biker" <jstateson@swri.edu> wrote in message

>I have unchecked IE7's Tools-InternetOptions -Advance- "Play Sounds in web
>pages" but I still get crap being played.

That setting will not control the sound you are hearing at the Ebay site, it
only controls .MID, .WAV, .AU sound files that embedded using the BGSOUND or
EMBED tags.

> on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/cd3jb5 (sales pitch for memory) and on other
> sites as well, not just ebay.

The two sounds you are hearing at that Ebay site are coming from the
following two Flash files:

The sound affect:
http://click-here-to-listen.com/players/iaPlay18.swf

The sales pitch:
http://click-here-to-listen.com/074/...7235MSFCRW.swf

> I do not want any audio played unless I click on a button to play
> something.

Contact the web site owners and complain to them about it.

> Surely, there must be some setting for this other than turning the
> speakers off.

In this case, you will have to disable the Flash Player add-on in Manage
Add-ons to prevent the sound from playing at the site.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> ..TIA..

rob^_^

Re: unwanted audio (voice, music, etc) playing
Hi,

Add http://click-here-to-listen.com to your Hosts file/Ad blocking list or
Block Shockwave Flash.

To disable scripted Flash audio/animations in IE disable "Run ActiveX
controls and plug-ins" on the Security zone tab of Internet Options.
(Internet zone default is "enable").

The penny has dropped for the online advertisers that we have ears too.

Expect more sites to be serving up audio-spam (known from now on as
"spaudio" - I claim the naming rights)

Prediction - Next they will be inserting subliminal visual and audio queues
in your youtube videos and streaming media.

Someone will come up with counter-measures soon...( a job for Steve or Eric)
or
Complain to the web sites that host this kind of advertising

Regards.