IE8 & Visual Studio

PG

IE8 & Visual Studio
Besides the fact that IE8 install forced me to reformat my entire system and
for the last few days it has crashed multiple times (20 or so) all of which
are submitted to MS, i had been developing a web app in vs2008. All of a
sudden today everything is screwed up. Things are stretching and moving all
over the place. All that i did from last night to this AM is sleep. When i
woke up to resume, my formatting is all screwed up. Yes, i put IE8 in
compatibility mode for all web sites. And, of course in frustration i tried
BOTH fire fox and Apple browswer and my pages are perfect in them.

Why is it that IE is not capable of displaying pages that other browsers can
display perfectly that are developed in VS2008?

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 & Visual Studio
Seems like you're having trouble getting Internet Explorer 8 to install,
and that's the underlying cause of your problem.

I had no trouble installing IE 8 and it has not crashed once, which goes
to show--since I'm nobody's idea of a computer genius--that careful
preparation is key to success. You might want to reconsider your
installation procedures against a web search for "how to install
internet explorer 8". Here is one of the many places I went to prepare:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38848

In addition, you would have no need to reformat your hard drive if you
have a backup of your hard drive (i.e., a disk image.)
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PG wrote:
> Besides the fact that IE8 install forced me to reformat my entire system and
> for the last few days it has crashed multiple times (20 or so) all of which
> are submitted to MS, i had been developing a web app in vs2008. All of a
> sudden today everything is screwed up. Things are stretching and moving all
> over the place. All that i did from last night to this AM is sleep. When i
> woke up to resume, my formatting is all screwed up. Yes, i put IE8 in
> compatibility mode for all web sites. And, of course in frustration i tried
> BOTH fire fox and Apple browswer and my pages are perfect in them.
>
> Why is it that IE is not capable of displaying pages that other browsers can
> display perfectly that are developed in VS2008?

rob^_^

Re: IE8 & Visual Studio
Hi PG,

When you launch IE from the VS IDE, it uses the .net debug user account, not
your windows user account. You may be confused by this as IE8 has
Compatibility view switches and automatic rendering errors handling which
effect the rendering outcome of your pages when viewed under the .net debug
account.

To correct this launch IE from VS.

Tools>Compatibility View Settings - uncheck "Display intranet sites in
Compatibility View".

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, Uncheck "Automatically recover from
page layout errors with Compatibility View".

Press F12 to display the Developer Tool and check that the Browser and
Document modes are what you expect for your target doctype schema. Depending
upon if you are using the localhost or a publicly accessible web site, you
can then use the Validate menu options on the Developer tool to validate
your markup and Layout (css). But in VS there are options to highlight and
warn about markup and layout errors. Heed the errors and warnings reported
by intellisense and correct these before you try to display your web
page/site.

It sounds like you are involved in converting legacy web sites to W3C
standards. (been there, done that). I have found that it is best not to try
to dress up mutton to look like lamb. Start by creating your master pages,
then copy and paste your legacy markup into content placeholder controls,
correcting the errors and warnings as reported by the VS intellisense and
error reports as you go.

Get involved in your local Developer Communities. You will get lots of
valuable advice from your peers. Here - http://www.ssw.com.au is my local
..net user group. You will find lots of advice and tips on their site. Do a
web search to find a usergroup near to your location.

Here are some links that you should also browse. It is near the weekend...
step back and do some research and planning, so you can start afresh next
week (you will loose less hair, if you can vent your frustrations).

IE8 Readiness -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...and-links.aspx
IE Web Developer Forum -
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...pment/threads/

Regards.

"PG" <PG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Besides the fact that IE8 install forced me to reformat my entire system
> and
> for the last few days it has crashed multiple times (20 or so) all of
> which
> are submitted to MS, i had been developing a web app in vs2008. All of a
> sudden today everything is screwed up. Things are stretching and moving
> all
> over the place. All that i did from last night to this AM is sleep. When i
> woke up to resume, my formatting is all screwed up. Yes, i put IE8 in
> compatibility mode for all web sites. And, of course in frustration i
> tried
> BOTH fire fox and Apple browswer and my pages are perfect in them.
>
> Why is it that IE is not capable of displaying pages that other browsers
> can
> display perfectly that are developed in VS2008?

PG

Re: IE8 & Visual Studio
Thanks for the post. I am developing a new application from scratch. I tried
your suggestions but unfortunately no luck. There are no errors in the
HTML/ASPX as i carefully look for anything. I have also taken the generated
html and run it into the w3c validators.

I grabbed the code that won't display correctly and saved it as html. It
displays correctly in IE and Firefox.

So there is something happening in VS's designer. I had done nothing to the
aspx file or to anything that impacts it. And, the next time i continued my
testing -- the page (in particular tables in the page) all screwed up. Yet
there were no changes.

Something is just not working correctly...maybe it isn't ie8 specifically.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> [...]
> > Besides the fact that IE8 install forced me to reformat my entire system
> > and
> > for the last few days it has crashed multiple times (20 or so) all of
> > which
> > are submitted to MS, i had been developing a web app in vs2008. All of a
> > sudden today everything is screwed up. Things are stretching and moving
> > all
> > over the place. All that i did from last night to this AM is sleep. When i
> > woke up to resume, my formatting is all screwed up. Yes, i put IE8 in
> > compatibility mode for all web sites. And, of course in frustration i
> > tried
> > BOTH fire fox and Apple browswer and my pages are perfect in them.
> >
> > Why is it that IE is not capable of displaying pages that other browsers
> > can
> > display perfectly that are developed in VS2008?

The W3C validators aren't perfect.

Tables problems indicate that you may be using browsing sniffing (client or
server side) to push different css files to the client or that you are using
an incorrect doctype schema.

From an IE window launched from VS type

javascript:navigator.userAgent;

in the address bar to inspect your UAS and check it is what you expect. Post
back here with the string if you are unsure. A common problem is a nested
IE6 UA within the IE8 UA caused by UA switching utilities.

If you have a publicly accessible web site, post your pages to a location
that we can have a look at.

newsFFF9E31-E101-49EB-9836-9301DF51579F@microsoft.com...