IE8: Cookies not being recognized!

Bill

IE8: Cookies not being recognized!
I have a number of cookies I set for various websites which save
user-id information, page defaults used by the web page, etc. Once I
set the cookies the various websites I use continue to recognize them
and they all work fine for the remainder of the day, even though I may
close and re-open IE8 a number of times. But when I boot up the next
day, IE8 no longer recognizes any of these cookies. I've checked and
they are still in my cookie folder. FWIW, I never had this problem in
IE7 . . . what's going on?

OS is Vista Premium, fully updated. IE8 is the latest non-beta
version.

- MrBill
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8: Cookies not being recognized!
Internet Explorer does not edit or otherwise change the content of
cookies. Neither does it erase cookies, unless instructed to do so.

You should check your cookie settings in Internet Explorer (Tools >
Internet Options > Privacy tab) or in your security software.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bill wrote:
> I have a number of cookies I set for various websites which save
> user-id information, page defaults used by the web page, etc. Once I
> set the cookies the various websites I use continue to recognize them
> and they all work fine for the remainder of the day, even though I may
> close and re-open IE8 a number of times. But when I boot up the next
> day, IE8 no longer recognizes any of these cookies. I've checked and
> they are still in my cookie folder. FWIW, I never had this problem in
> IE7 . . . what's going on?
>
> OS is Vista Premium, fully updated. IE8 is the latest non-beta
> version.
>
> - MrBill

Bill

Re: IE8: Cookies not being recognized!
On Thu, 07 May 2009 10:28:46 -0400, Leonard Grey
<l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Internet Explorer does not edit or otherwise change the content of
>cookies. Neither does it erase cookies, unless instructed to do so.
>
>You should check your cookie settings in Internet Explorer (Tools >
>Internet Options > Privacy tab) or in your security software.

The IE8 Privacy settings are still at the default - medium. I've made
no changes to my security software when upgrading to IE8, so I don't
think this is part of the problem.

Since my initial post I've been playing around with different things
and noticed something odd. To illustrate, I'm copying the full name
of one of the problem cookies, substituting (at) for (@) so that your
NG reader doesn't try to make the file name into an E-mail address:

May 6
---------
bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[2].txt (86 bytes)

May 7
---------
bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[3].txt (85 bytes)

May 6 the cookie worked worked fine all day - even rebooting did not
cause it to fail. May 7 the cookie was not recognized and IE8 built
the [3] cookie. All of the cookies I need did the same thing! Is
there a parameter I can use to prevent IE8 from recreating the cookies
each day?

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8: Cookies not being recognized!
Cookies contain more information than that.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 07 May 2009 10:28:46 -0400, Leonard Grey
> <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Internet Explorer does not edit or otherwise change the content of
>> cookies. Neither does it erase cookies, unless instructed to do so.
>>
>> You should check your cookie settings in Internet Explorer (Tools >
>> Internet Options > Privacy tab) or in your security software.

> The IE8 Privacy settings are still at the default - medium. I've made
> no changes to my security software when upgrading to IE8, so I don't
> think this is part of the problem.
>
> Since my initial post I've been playing around with different things
> and noticed something odd. To illustrate, I'm copying the full name
> of one of the problem cookies, substituting (at) for (@) so that your
> NG reader doesn't try to make the file name into an E-mail address:
>
> May 6
> ---------
> bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[2].txt (86 bytes)
>

> May 7
> ---------
> bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[3].txt (85 bytes)
>

> May 6 the cookie worked worked fine all day - even rebooting did not
> cause it to fail. May 7 the cookie was not recognized and IE8 built
> the [3] cookie. All of the cookies I need did the same thing! Is
> there a parameter I can use to prevent IE8 from recreating the cookies
> each day?

CigarSki

Re: Cookies not being recognized!
>I have a number of cookies I set for various websites which save
> user-id information, page defaults used by the web page, etc. Once I
> set the cookies the various websites I use continue to recognize them
> and they all work fine for the remainder of the day, even though I may
> close and re-open IE8 a number of times. But when I boot up the next
> day, IE8 no longer recognizes any of these cookies. I've checked and
> they are still in my cookie folder. FWIW, I never had this problem in
> IE7 . . . what's going on?
>
> OS is Vista Premium, fully updated. IE8 is the latest non-beta
> version.
>
> - MrBill

Tools - Internet Options - Privacy - Advanced - Check the "Override Cookie
Handling" box - Check Allways Allow Session Cookies.

Had a the same problem, session cookies work for me now.

MrBill

Re: Cookies not being recognized!
On Thu, 7 May 2009 13:45:01 -0400, "CigarSki" <CigarSki@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>I have a number of cookies I set for various websites which save
>> user-id information, page defaults used by the web page, etc. Once I
>> set the cookies the various websites I use continue to recognize them
>> and they all work fine for the remainder of the day, even though I may
>> close and re-open IE8 a number of times. But when I boot up the next
>> day, IE8 no longer recognizes any of these cookies. I've checked and
>> they are still in my cookie folder. FWIW, I never had this problem in
>> IE7 . . . what's going on?
>>
>> OS is Vista Premium, fully updated. IE8 is the latest non-beta
>> version.
>>
>> - MrBill

>Tools - Internet Options - Privacy - Advanced - Check the "Override Cookie
>Handling" box - Check Allways Allow Session Cookies.
>
>Had a the same problem, session cookies work for me now.

Good idea but it didn't work. I've posted the below information which
was in another thread. So far nobody has figured out what I need to
do to resolve the problem:

Since my initial post I've been playing around with different things
and noticed something odd. To illustrate, I'm copying the full fiole
name of one of the problem cookies, substituting (at) for (@) so that
your NG reader doesn't try to make the file name into an E-mail
address:

May 6
---------
bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[2].txt (86 bytes)

May 7
---------
bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[3].txt (85 bytes)

May 6 the cookie worked worked fine all day - even rebooting did not
cause it to fail. May 7 the cookie was not recognized and IE8 built
the [3] cookie. All of the cookies I need did the same thing! Is
there a parameter I can use to prevent IE8 from recreating the cookies
each day?

- MrBill
MrBill

Re: IE8: Cookies not being recognized!
May 8, Microsoft came out with a Vista update which fixed this cookie
problem!

- Bill

On Thu, 07 May 2009 12:06:25 -0400, Leonard Grey
<l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Cookies contain more information than that.
>---
>Leonard Grey
>Errare humanum est
>
>Bill wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 May 2009 10:28:46 -0400, Leonard Grey
>> <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Internet Explorer does not edit or otherwise change the content of
>>> cookies. Neither does it erase cookies, unless instructed to do so.
>>>
>>> You should check your cookie settings in Internet Explorer (Tools >
>>> Internet Options > Privacy tab) or in your security software.

>> The IE8 Privacy settings are still at the default - medium. I've made
>> no changes to my security software when upgrading to IE8, so I don't
>> think this is part of the problem.
>>
>> Since my initial post I've been playing around with different things
>> and noticed something odd. To illustrate, I'm copying the full name
>> of one of the problem cookies, substituting (at) for (@) so that your
>> NG reader doesn't try to make the file name into an E-mail address:
>>
>> May 6
>> ---------
>> bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[2].txt (86 bytes)
>>

>> May 7
>> ---------
>> bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[3].txt (85 bytes)
>>

>> May 6 the cookie worked worked fine all day - even rebooting did not
>> cause it to fail. May 7 the cookie was not recognized and IE8 built
>> the [3] cookie. All of the cookies I need did the same thing! Is
>> there a parameter I can use to prevent IE8 from recreating the cookies
>> each day?

MrBill

On Fri, 08 May 2009 06:15:09 -0700, MrBill <NoSpam@NoSpam.Com> wrote:

>On Thu, 7 May 2009 13:45:01 -0400, "CigarSki" <CigarSki@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>>I have a number of cookies I set for various websites which save
>>> user-id information, page defaults used by the web page, etc. Once I
>>> set the cookies the various websites I use continue to recognize them
>>> and they all work fine for the remainder of the day, even though I may
>>> close and re-open IE8 a number of times. But when I boot up the next
>>> day, IE8 no longer recognizes any of these cookies. I've checked and
>>> they are still in my cookie folder. FWIW, I never had this problem in
>>> IE7 . . . what's going on?
>>>
>>> OS is Vista Premium, fully updated. IE8 is the latest non-beta
>>> version.
>>>
>>> - MrBill

>>Tools - Internet Options - Privacy - Advanced - Check the "Override Cookie
>>Handling" box - Check Allways Allow Session Cookies.
>>
>>Had a the same problem, session cookies work for me now.
>>

>Good idea but it didn't work. I've posted the below information which
>was in another thread. So far nobody has figured out what I need to
>do to resolve the problem:
>
>Since my initial post I've been playing around with different things
>and noticed something odd. To illustrate, I'm copying the full fiole
>name of one of the problem cookies, substituting (at) for (@) so that
>your NG reader doesn't try to make the file name into an E-mail
>address:
>
>May 6
>---------
>bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[2].txt (86 bytes)
>

>May 7
>---------
>bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[3].txt (85 bytes)
>

>May 6 the cookie worked worked fine all day - even rebooting did not
>cause it to fail. May 7 the cookie was not recognized and IE8 built
>the [3] cookie. All of the cookies I need did the same thing! Is
>there a parameter I can use to prevent IE8 from recreating the cookies
>each day?
>
>- MrBill

Donald Anadell

"MrBill" <NoSpam@NoSpam.Com> wrote in message
> May 8, Microsoft came out with a Vista update which fixed this cookie
> problem!

And that Vista Update would be? Can you post a [KB] article number
associated with this fix?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> - Bill
>

> On Fri, 08 May 2009 06:15:09 -0700, MrBill <NoSpam@NoSpam.Com> wrote:

>>>Tools - Internet Options - Privacy - Advanced - Check the "Override
>>>Cookie
>>>Handling" box - Check Allways Allow Session Cookies.
>>>
>>>Had a the same problem, session cookies work for me now.
>>>

>>Good idea but it didn't work. I've posted the below information which
>>was in another thread. So far nobody has figured out what I need to
>>do to resolve the problem:
>>
>>Since my initial post I've been playing around with different things
>>and noticed something odd. To illustrate, I'm copying the full fiole
>>name of one of the problem cookies, substituting (at) for (@) so that
>>your NG reader doesn't try to make the file name into an E-mail
>>address:
>>
>>May 6
>>---------
>>bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[2].txt (86 bytes)
>>

>>May 7
>>---------
>>bill(at)www.dvdpricesearch[3].txt (85 bytes)
>>

>>May 6 the cookie worked worked fine all day - even rebooting did not
>>cause it to fail. May 7 the cookie was not recognized and IE8 built
>>the [3] cookie. All of the cookies I need did the same thing! Is
>>there a parameter I can use to prevent IE8 from recreating the cookies
>>each day?
>>
>>- MrBill

MrBill

Re: Cookies not being recognized!
Update for Windows Vista (KB955430)
Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows
Vista (KB969497)

There were 2 updated posted by MS the same day. Of the 2, KB955430
was deemed IMPORTANT and KB969497 was RECOMMENDED. Out of the 2, the
first was the more likely to have resolved the problem although it is
probably a good idea to install both..

- MrBill