IE 8.0 error

RJohnson

IE 8.0 error
When going to whitepages.com and clicking on reverse search, I get an error
that says "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have clicked on compatibility mode
and it does not make a difference. What can I do to correct this problem? I
have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 8 twice with the same results. No
problems with IE 7.0.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8.0 error
Does the problem occur when you run IE 8 in 'no add-ons' mode?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

RJohnson wrote:
> When going to whitepages.com and clicking on reverse search, I get an error
> that says "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
> We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have clicked on compatibility mode
> and it does not make a difference. What can I do to correct this problem? I
> have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 8 twice with the same results. No
> problems with IE 7.0.

RJohnson

Re: IE 8.0 error
No add-ons did not make a differnece. I still got the error message.
RJ

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Does the problem occur when you run IE 8 in 'no add-ons' mode?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> RJohnson wrote:
> > When going to whitepages.com and clicking on reverse search, I get an error
> > that says "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
> > We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have clicked on compatibility mode
> > and it does not make a difference. What can I do to correct this problem? I
> > have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 8 twice with the same results. No
> > problems with IE 7.0.

RJohnson

Re: IE 8.0 error
Error signature
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer 8.0.6001.18702 ModName:urlmon.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001 18702 Offset: 0003e819

I don't know if this helps or not. If you need Error Report Contents, let
me know
RJ

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Does the problem occur when you run IE 8 in 'no add-ons' mode?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> RJohnson wrote:
> > When going to whitepages.com and clicking on reverse search, I get an error
> > that says "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
> > We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have clicked on compatibility mode
> > and it does not make a difference. What can I do to correct this problem? I
> > have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 8 twice with the same results. No
> > problems with IE 7.0.

Re: IE 8.0 error
Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

RJohnson wrote:
> Error signature
> AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer 8.0.6001.18702 ModName:urlmon.dll
> ModVer: 8.0.6001 18702 Offset: 0003e819
>
> I don't know if this helps or not. If you need Error Report Contents, let
> me know

<paste>
> No add-ons did not make a differnece. I still got the error message.

</paste>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>> Does the problem occur when you run IE 8 in 'no add-ons' mode?
>>
>> RJohnson wrote:
>>> When going to whitepages.com and clicking on reverse search, I get an
>>> error that says "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs
>>> close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have clicked on
>>> compatibility mode and it does not make a difference. What can I do to
>>> correct this problem? I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 8 twice
>>> with
>>> the same results. No problems with IE 7.0.

RJohnson

Re: IE 8.0 error
I have the same problem on both of my computers. Resetting IE did not help.
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2009. I'm using Malwarebytes to check for
spyware in addition to MS One Care Live. I had Norton firewall installed
when installing IE 8.0. No other applications were running other than Norton
Antivirus when I installed IE 8.0. I have had McAfee Security suites
installed on both computers but I have uninstalled on both.

RJ

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> RJohnson wrote:
> > Error signature
> > AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer 8.0.6001.18702 ModName:urlmon.dll
> > ModVer: 8.0.6001 18702 Offset: 0003e819
> >
> > I don't know if this helps or not. If you need Error Report Contents, let
> > me know

> <paste>
> > No add-ons did not make a differnece. I still got the error message.

> </paste>
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >> Does the problem occur when you run IE 8 in 'no add-ons' mode?

Re: IE 8.0 error
First off, please (1) download the McAfee Consumer Software Removal tool,
saving it to your desktop; (2) close all open applications then double-click
on the saved file to run the utility (Don't TOUCH the machine until the run
finishes!); (3) reboot. See Step #2 of this three-step fix:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Related: Should you ever upgrade NIS 2009 or replace it with any other
application, including another Norton application, (1) uninstall NIS 2009,
any Norton Add-ons, and LiveUpdate via Add/Remove Programs, (2) enable the
Windows Firewall, (3) download/run the Norton Removal Tool
(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039)
and (4) reboot (5) *before* installing the new application.

Back to the matter at hand...

If the error persists after running the McAfee removal tool, see if still
persists if you access the website in Compatibility Mode.

Ideally, NAV, all Norton Add-ons, and the Norton Firewall would have been
disabled and the Windows Firewall enabled prior to installing IE8. The fact
that you did not do so may have caused this behavior. See if uninstalling
IE8 with NAV, all Norton Add-ons, and the Norton Firewall disabled & the
Windows Firewall enabled corrects the problem.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

NB: Uninstalling IE8 will automatically return a Vista SP1 machine to IE7.

One more question: Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the
install of IE8? (Just asking for now)

RJohnson wrote:
> I have the same problem on both of my computers. Resetting IE did not
> help.
> I'm using Norton Internet Security 2009. I'm using Malwarebytes to check
> for spyware in addition to MS One Care Live. I had Norton firewall
> installed when installing IE 8.0. No other applications were running
> other
> than Norton Antivirus when I installed IE 8.0. I have had McAfee Security
> suites installed on both computers but I have uninstalled on both.
>
> RJ
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> RJohnson wrote:
>>> Error signature
>>> AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer 8.0.6001.18702 ModName:urlmon.dll
>>> ModVer: 8.0.6001 18702 Offset: 0003e819
>>>
>>> I don't know if this helps or not. If you need Error Report Contents,
>>> let
>>> me know

>> <paste>
>>> No add-ons did not make a differnece. I still got the error message.
>>> </paste>

RJohnson

Re: IE 8.0 error
I uninstalled IE 8.0 using the MS Fix It tool. Before reinstalling, I made
sure all applications were closed on the task bar as well as running items
like NAV in the sys tray. I then downloaded and ran the McAfee removal tool.
I then made sure IE 8.0 is running in Compatibility Mode. It did not make
any difference. I still get the error

I had not made a System Restore point before installing IE 8.0. This
problem is the same on both of my Win XP computers. As I have mentioned
before, when I go back to IE 7.0, I have no problems

RJ

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> First off, please (1) download the McAfee Consumer Software Removal tool,
> saving it to your desktop; (2) close all open applications then double-click
> on the saved file to run the utility (Don't TOUCH the machine until the run
> finishes!); (3) reboot. See Step #2 of this three-step fix:
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>
> Related: Should you ever upgrade NIS 2009 or replace it with any other
> application, including another Norton application, (1) uninstall NIS 2009,
> any Norton Add-ons, and LiveUpdate via Add/Remove Programs, (2) enable the
> Windows Firewall, (3) download/run the Norton Removal Tool
> (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039)
> and (4) reboot (5) *before* installing the new application.
>
> Back to the matter at hand...
>
> If the error persists after running the McAfee removal tool, see if still
> persists if you access the website in Compatibility Mode.
>
> Ideally, NAV, all Norton Add-ons, and the Norton Firewall would have been
> disabled and the Windows Firewall enabled prior to installing IE8. The fact
> that you did not do so may have caused this behavior. See if uninstalling
> IE8 with NAV, all Norton Add-ons, and the Norton Firewall disabled & the
> Windows Firewall enabled corrects the problem.
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> NB: Uninstalling IE8 will automatically return a Vista SP1 machine to IE7.
>
> One more question: Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the
> install of IE8? (Just asking for now)
>

> RJohnson wrote:
> > I have the same problem on both of my computers. Resetting IE did not
> > help.
> > I'm using Norton Internet Security 2009. I'm using Malwarebytes to check
> > for spyware in addition to MS One Care Live. I had Norton firewall
> > installed when installing IE 8.0. No other applications were running
> > other
> > than Norton Antivirus when I installed IE 8.0. I have had McAfee Security
> > suites installed on both computers but I have uninstalled on both.
> >
> > RJ
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> <paste>

Re: IE 8.0 error
Ideally, you would have run the McAfee tool before doing anything else.

Did you disable NAV, any/all Norton Add-ons, and the Norton Firewall and
then enable the Windows Firewall before uninstalling IE8 with the FixIt
tool?

A System Restore point is created by default when IE8 is installed. Are you
telling me there isn't such a Restore Point (i.e., for the first/original
install of IE8)?

RJohnson wrote:
> [...]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>
>> NB: Uninstalling IE8 will automatically return a Vista SP1 machine to
>> IE7.
>>
>> One more question: Do you have an available Restore Point which predates
>> the install of IE8? (Just asking for now)
>>

>> RJohnson wrote:
>>> I have the same problem on both of my computers. Resetting IE did not
>>> help.
>>> I'm using Norton Internet Security 2009. I'm using Malwarebytes to
>>> check
>>> for spyware in addition to MS One Care Live. I had Norton firewall
>>> installed when installing IE 8.0. No other applications were running
>>> other
>>> than Norton Antivirus when I installed IE 8.0. I have had McAfee
>>> Security
>>> suites installed on both computers but I have uninstalled on both.

jake_ie8team

RE: IE 8.0 error
RJohnson,

The Internet Explorer folks have com up with a useful step-by-step guide to
diagnose your problem. Visit http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro and
answer the questions about your repeated IE crashes. I hope this solves your
problem!

- Jake

MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team