IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages

jeth

IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages
IE is now crashing at every startup with an error message of the form:

The instruction at xxx referenced memory at yyy. The memory could not
be written,

The actual numbers seem to vary for each occurrence; two recent ones were:

xxx yyy
0x5a913420 0x5a912420
0x77c46fa3 0x00360000

I've tried refreshing IE from the latest copy on the MS website, and making
sure that all updates have been installed, but nothing has helped so far.

I'm running XP SP3 with IE8 and have 3G of RAM,
Rex

Re: IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages

"jeth" <jeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IE is now crashing at every startup with an error message of the form:
>
> The instruction at xxx referenced memory at yyy. The memory could not
> be written,
>
> The actual numbers seem to vary for each occurrence; two recent ones were:
>
> xxx yyy
> 0x5a913420 0x5a912420
> 0x77c46fa3 0x00360000
>
> I've tried refreshing IE from the latest copy on the MS website, and
> making
> sure that all updates have been installed, but nothing has helped so far.
>
> I'm running XP SP3 with IE8 and have 3G of RAM,

Are you using Google Toolbar?
If so update to Version 6 as the earlier versions won't run with IE 8

Rex

VanguardLH

jeth wrote:

> IE is now crashing at every startup with an error message of the form:
>
> The instruction at xxx referenced memory at yyy. The memory could not
> be written,
>
> The actual numbers seem to vary for each occurrence; two recent ones were:
>
> xxx yyy
> 0x5a913420 0x5a912420
> 0x77c46fa3 0x00360000
>
> I've tried refreshing IE from the latest copy on the MS website, and making
> sure that all updates have been installed, but nothing has helped so far.
>
> I'm running XP SP3 with IE8 and have 3G of RAM,

What happens when you load IE8 in its no add-ons mode?
jeth

Re: IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages
Thanks to both respondents......

As for the Google toolbar, I'll have to check and see if it is still there
before the memory failure shown up. I know I tried to remove all of these
extra toolbars on all my browsers and try "not" to let them get reinstalled
when some app is updates. But often something will install them without
asking because they think they know better than you what you should have on
your system.

And with respect to the run without addons, for some reason I don't see that
when I right click on the IE icon. That's something else I'll have to try
and investigate.

Thank again....
Robert Aldwinckle

"jeth" <jeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E641768-59BB-4DD2-BD40-C3A31490A2E7@microsoft.com...
> Thanks to both respondents......
>
> As for the Google toolbar, I'll have to check and see if it is still there
> before the memory failure shown up. I know I tried to remove all of these
> extra toolbars on all my browsers and try "not" to let them get reinstalled
> when some app is updates. But often something will install them without
> asking because they think they know better than you what you should have on
> your system.
>

> And with respect to the run without addons, for some reason I don't see that
> when I right click on the IE icon. That's something else I'll have to try
> and investigate.

There are other ways to run in No Add-ons mode.
Simplest is to Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff

---

> Thank again....

Re: IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages
> IE is now crashing at every startup

Is this a sudden new problem? ...and encountered immediately after
installing IE8?

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

jeth wrote:
> IE is now crashing at every startup with an error message of the form:
>
> The instruction at xxx referenced memory at yyy. The memory could not
> be written,
>
> The actual numbers seem to vary for each occurrence; two recent ones were:
>
> xxx yyy
> 0x5a913420 0x5a912420
> 0x77c46fa3 0x00360000
>
> I've tried refreshing IE from the latest copy on the MS website, and
> making
> sure that all updates have been installed, but nothing has helped so far.
>
> I'm running XP SP3 with IE8 and have 3G of RAM,

jake_ie8team

RE: IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages
jeth,

My name is Jake and I am part of the Internet Explorer Outreach Team. Have
you tried diagnosing your problem using the step-by-step guide on the
Internet Explorer page? Go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro, and answer the questions about
the symptoms of your problem by clicking on the corresponding links. I hope
this helps you out!

- Jake

MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team

"jeth" wrote:

> IE is now crashing at every startup with an error message of the form:
>
> The instruction at xxx referenced memory at yyy. The memory could not
> be written,
>
> The actual numbers seem to vary for each occurrence; two recent ones were:
>
> xxx yyy
> 0x5a913420 0x5a912420
> 0x77c46fa3 0x00360000
>
> I've tried refreshing IE from the latest copy on the MS website, and making
> sure that all updates have been installed, but nothing has helped so far.
>
> I'm running XP SP3 with IE8 and have 3G of RAM,

Re: IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages
[With all due respect, are you reading previous replies to these threads
before you respond, Jake?]

jake_ie8team wrote:
> jeth,
>
> My name is Jake and I am part of the Internet Explorer Outreach Team. Have
> you tried diagnosing your problem using the step-by-step guide on the
> Internet Explorer page? Go here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro, and answer the questions
> about
> the symptoms of your problem by clicking on the corresponding links. I
> hope
> this helps you out!
>
> - Jake
>
> MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team
>
> "jeth" wrote:
>
>> IE is now crashing at every startup with an error message of the form:
>>
>> The instruction at xxx referenced memory at yyy. The memory could
>> not
>> be written,
>>
>> The actual numbers seem to vary for each occurrence; two recent ones
>> were:
>>
>> xxx yyy
>> 0x5a913420 0x5a912420
>> 0x77c46fa3 0x00360000
>>
>> I've tried refreshing IE from the latest copy on the MS website, and
>> making
>> sure that all updates have been installed, but nothing has helped so far.
>>
>> I'm running XP SP3 with IE8 and have 3G of RAM,

letuscatchup is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE8 crashes when starting with memory error messages
Hi,

For application error in IE8 try the below

Go to Internet options -> Advanced
Under security there is an option called as enable memory protection.

Uncheck the above option and restart IE8.

Regards
Siva