IE8 Rounding problem

kaba_desu

IE8 Rounding problem
Hi,

I'd like to start by saying that I am very passionate about vertical rhythm
in web sites, so this problem may not matter to people who do not care much
for it.

I have noticed a rounding problem with Internet Explorer 8.

In the past, when using Verdana font, I have set my body font-size to 68.8%
and then used the following properties for my paragraph tags: font-size: 1em;
line-height: 1.636em; margin-bottom: 1.636em;

This has always produced consistent results across all browsers, included IE6.

When the final version of IE8 was released I discovered a very annoying
problem with ems. For some reason they are not rounding as I expected, based
on IE6 and 7.

Given that IE6 and 7 round in the same way that all other browsers do, I
have to come to the conclusion that IE8 is broken in this way.

I have attached a link to a zip file with my test case.

Others have noticed this too,
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/fee...dbackID=420411,
but this bug was marked: Closed (won't fix). This is a real problem which
needs to be fixed.

Lastly I would like to say that I have trouble articulating complex things
but I have tried hard to explain this issue properly.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out.

http://cid-ba70d2d14b1a628c.skydrive...ine-height.zip

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Abdul69

Re: IE8 Rounding problem
Interesting bug, but I can understand why Micrsoft deferred on it since
you'd never know unless doing an explicit test like this. Even with the
explicit tests it took me several looks just to see what the bug is, but
then maybe I'n not tuned into this type of issue.

But yeah, definitely a regression from IE7 and where I work we try to avoid
regressions no matter how minor. We'd rather just ship bugs in new features!
:-)

Wayne.