IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on

John

IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
When I ever I go to Microsoft Office Update to scan for office update. IE8
freezes in when it sees Microsoft Office Update add-on. The message is
"Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system
memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious
add-on."

I tried adding microsoft.com to IE8 compatibility list, it did not work.
I tried adding *.microsft.com to trusted website, it did not work
I tried turning off DEP for iexplorer.exe and reboot, it did not work

When I uninstall IE8 and reboot to IE6, Microsoft Office Update add-on works
okay and does not freeze IE6. And the Informatoon Bar comes down with a
messgage "The previous site might require the following add-on Office Update
Installation Engine from Microsoft Corporation. Click here to install.

And a popup windows appears Information Bar, Did you notice the information
bar?

I tested IE7 and the Office Update add-on did not freeze like IE8 did.

I was only able to get Microsoft Office Update to work when I uninstalled
IE8 and then install Microsoft Office Update add-on under IE6. Then reinstall
IE8 after that Microsoft Office Update work okay.

Is this a know issue?

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2; Vista
x64 SP1) when posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state the full
Office version (e.g., Office 2007 SP2).

Is Google Toolbar installed?

By any chance did you install Office 2007 SP2 *and* IE8 at the same time
(i.e., since 28 Apr-09)?

John wrote:
> When I ever I go to Microsoft Office Update to scan for office update. IE8
> freezes in when it sees Microsoft Office Update add-on. The message is
> "Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system
> memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious
> add-on."
>
> I tried adding microsoft.com to IE8 compatibility list, it did not work.
> I tried adding *.microsft.com to trusted website, it did not work
> I tried turning off DEP for iexplorer.exe and reboot, it did not work
>
> When I uninstall IE8 and reboot to IE6, Microsoft Office Update add-on
> works
> okay and does not freeze IE6. And the Informatoon Bar comes down with a
> messgage "The previous site might require the following add-on Office
> Update
> Installation Engine from Microsoft Corporation. Click here to install.
>
> And a popup windows appears Information Bar, Did you notice the
> information
> bar?
>
> I tested IE7 and the Office Update add-on did not freeze like IE8 did.
>
> I was only able to get Microsoft Office Update to work when I uninstalled
> IE8 and then install Microsoft Office Update add-on under IE6. Then
> reinstall IE8 after that Microsoft Office Update work okay.
>
> Is this a know issue?

John

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
XPSP3
Office 2003 SP3
No Google Toolbar Installed
No anti-virus or anti-malware was installed

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2; Vista
> x64 SP1) when posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state the full
> Office version (e.g., Office 2007 SP2).
>
> Is Google Toolbar installed?
>
> By any chance did you install Office 2007 SP2 *and* IE8 at the same time
> (i.e., since 28 Apr-09)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> John wrote:
> > When I ever I go to Microsoft Office Update to scan for office update. IE8
> > freezes in when it sees Microsoft Office Update add-on. The message is
> > "Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system
> > memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious
> > add-on."
> >
> > I tried adding microsoft.com to IE8 compatibility list, it did not work.
> > I tried adding *.microsft.com to trusted website, it did not work
> > I tried turning off DEP for iexplorer.exe and reboot, it did not work
> >
> > When I uninstall IE8 and reboot to IE6, Microsoft Office Update add-on
> > works
> > okay and does not freeze IE6. And the Informatoon Bar comes down with a
> > messgage "The previous site might require the following add-on Office
> > Update
> > Installation Engine from Microsoft Corporation. Click here to install.
> >
> > And a popup windows appears Information Bar, Did you notice the
> > information
> > bar?
> >
> > I tested IE7 and the Office Update add-on did not freeze like IE8 did.
> >
> > I was only able to get Microsoft Office Update to work when I uninstalled
> > IE8 and then install Microsoft Office Update add-on under IE6. Then
> > reinstall IE8 after that Microsoft Office Update work okay.
> >
> > Is this a know issue?

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
First of all, it's highly unusual to encounter any DEP prompts in WinXP
unless you've done some tweaks to WinXP SP2/SP3's default settings (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352).

Second, no, this is not a known issue AFAIK.

Should you want to pursue this further...

in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled and/or reinstalled
IE8 or WinXP SP3?

John wrote:
> XPSP3
> Office 2003 SP3
> No Google Toolbar Installed
> No anti-virus or anti-malware was installed
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2; Vista
>> x64 SP1) when posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state the
>> full
>> Office version (e.g., Office 2007 SP2).
>>
>> Is Google Toolbar installed?
>>
>> By any chance did you install Office 2007 SP2 *and* IE8 at the same time
>> (i.e., since 28 Apr-09)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> John wrote:
>>> When I ever I go to Microsoft Office Update to scan for office update.
>>> IE8
>>> freezes in when it sees Microsoft Office Update add-on. The message is
>>> "Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use
>>> system
>>> memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious
>>> add-on."
>>>
>>> I tried adding microsoft.com to IE8 compatibility list, it did not work.
>>> I tried adding *.microsft.com to trusted website, it did not work
>>> I tried turning off DEP for iexplorer.exe and reboot, it did not work
>>>
>>> When I uninstall IE8 and reboot to IE6, Microsoft Office Update add-on
>>> works
>>> okay and does not freeze IE6. And the Informatoon Bar comes down with a
>>> messgage "The previous site might require the following add-on Office
>>> Update
>>> Installation Engine from Microsoft Corporation. Click here to install.
>>>
>>> And a popup windows appears Information Bar, Did you notice the
>>> information
>>> bar?
>>>
>>> I tested IE7 and the Office Update add-on did not freeze like IE8 did.
>>>
>>> I was only able to get Microsoft Office Update to work when I
>>> uninstalled
>>> IE8 and then install Microsoft Office Update add-on under IE6. Then
>>> reinstall IE8 after that Microsoft Office Update work okay.
>>>
>>> Is this a know issue?

John

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
There was never any anti-virus or anti-malware installed on this computer.
I never tweak the computer.
There was never any applications running in the background during XP SP3
install or IE8 install or Office 2003 install or Office 2003 Sp3 install.

In fact this computer had a clean install of XP SP2, after XP SP2 installed,
I installed XP SP3, after that, I when to Microsoft Windows Update to
download and install more updates, including IE8, including a reboot as
requested.

Then I install Microsoft Office 2003, I then install SP3 for Microsoft
Office 2003. I then tried to install more Microsoft Office 2003 updates after
Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 was installed. That was when I encountered IE8
freezing trying to install Microsoft Office Update add-on.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> First of all, it's highly unusual to encounter any DEP prompts in WinXP
> unless you've done some tweaks to WinXP SP2/SP3's default settings (cf.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352).
>
> Second, no, this is not a known issue AFAIK.
>
> Should you want to pursue this further...

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled and/or reinstalled
> IE8 or WinXP SP3?

> John wrote:
> > XPSP3
> > Office 2003 SP3
> > No Google Toolbar Installed
> > No anti-virus or anti-malware was installed
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2; Vista
> >> x64 SP1) when posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state the
> >> full
> >> Office version (e.g., Office 2007 SP2).
> >>
> >> Is Google Toolbar installed?
> >>
> >> By any chance did you install Office 2007 SP2 *and* IE8 at the same time
> >> (i.e., since 28 Apr-09)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
I would NOT recommend connecting any computer to the internet or any
networks without active anti-virus protection. And I would strongly
recommend installing Windows Defender (free).

That being said, take a close(r) look at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352 (the OptIn description,
especially).

AFAIK, the default DEP settings would not have caused the DEP prompt when
installing the OGA (Office Genuine Advantage) add-on with IE8 installed.

The fact that you do not have any active, real-time anti-virus and
anti-spyware running suggests that something else malicious may have been
responsible for the prompt/warning. Why you did NOT get this warning in IE6
I cannot explain...other than the fact that perhaps your install of IE8 was
compromised by already-present malware.

If you suspect that IE8 was at fault here:

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
--
~PA Bear

John wrote:
> There was never any anti-virus or anti-malware installed on this computer.
> I never tweak the computer.
> There was never any applications running in the background during XP SP3
> install or IE8 install or Office 2003 install or Office 2003 Sp3 install.
>
> In fact this computer had a clean install of XP SP2, after XP SP2
> installed,
> I installed XP SP3, after that, I when to Microsoft Windows Update to
> download and install more updates, including IE8, including a reboot as
> requested.
>
> Then I install Microsoft Office 2003, I then install SP3 for Microsoft
> Office 2003. I then tried to install more Microsoft Office 2003 updates
> after Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 was installed. That was when I encountered
> IE8 freezing trying to install Microsoft Office Update add-on.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> First of all, it's highly unusual to encounter any DEP prompts in WinXP
>> unless you've done some tweaks to WinXP SP2/SP3's default settings (cf.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352).
>>
>> Second, no, this is not a known issue AFAIK.
>>
>> Should you want to pursue this further...

>> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
>> uninstalled and/or reinstalled IE8 or WinXP SP3?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>

>> John wrote:
>>> XPSP3
>>> Office 2003 SP3
>>> No Google Toolbar Installed
>>> No anti-virus or anti-malware was installed

John

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
The only reason I did not have anti-virus and or anti-malware is because I
did not want those programs to interfere with application installs, after the
applications are installed I usually install anti-virus as the very last
thing.

This is definitely a reproducible problem with a different 2nd computer.
The steps I took to reproduce the problem on the 2nd computer is exactly the
same as the 1st computer.

Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> First of all, it's highly unusual to encounter any DEP prompts in WinXP
> >> unless you've done some tweaks to WinXP SP2/SP3's default settings (cf.
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352).
> >>
> >> Second, no, this is not a known issue AFAIK.
> >>
> >> Should you want to pursue this further...
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
> >> uninstalled and/or reinstalled IE8 or WinXP SP3?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
Call the free support number for further assistance, John. What you're
describing simply does not make sense to me.

John wrote:
> The only reason I did not have anti-virus and or anti-malware is because I
> did not want those programs to interfere with application installs, after
> the applications are installed I usually install anti-virus as the very
> last
> thing.
>
> This is definitely a reproducible problem with a different 2nd computer.
> The steps I took to reproduce the problem on the 2nd computer is exactly
> the
> same as the 1st computer.
>
> Thanks
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> I would NOT recommend connecting any computer to the internet or any
>> networks without active anti-virus protection. And I would strongly
>> recommend installing Windows Defender (free).
>>
>> That being said, take a close(r) look at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352 (the OptIn description,
>> especially).
>>
>> AFAIK, the default DEP settings would not have caused the DEP prompt when
>> installing the OGA (Office Genuine Advantage) add-on with IE8 installed.
>>
>> The fact that you do not have any active, real-time anti-virus and
>> anti-spyware running suggests that something else malicious may have been
>> responsible for the prompt/warning. Why you did NOT get this warning in
>> IE6 I cannot explain...other than the fact that perhaps your install of
>> IE8 was compromised by already-present malware.
>>
>> If you suspect that IE8 was at fault here:
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment.
>> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>> => Other locales:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043 --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> John wrote:
>>> There was never any anti-virus or anti-malware installed on this
>>> computer.
>>> I never tweak the computer.
>>> There was never any applications running in the background during XP SP3
>>> install or IE8 install or Office 2003 install or Office 2003 Sp3
>>> install.
>>>
>>> In fact this computer had a clean install of XP SP2, after XP SP2
>>> installed,
>>> I installed XP SP3, after that, I when to Microsoft Windows Update to
>>> download and install more updates, including IE8, including a reboot as
>>> requested.
>>>
>>> Then I install Microsoft Office 2003, I then install SP3 for Microsoft
>>> Office 2003. I then tried to install more Microsoft Office 2003 updates
>>> after Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 was installed. That was when I
>>> encountered
>>> IE8 freezing trying to install Microsoft Office Update add-on.

EnterOman

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
I had the same exact issue - I installed a new Mobo & chip & reformatted the
hardrive. I had a fresh install of XP and all associated drivers.

I updated XP upto SP3 and only installed D-Link Adapter, Adobe, and Office
2003.

The Office Update page was giving me a DEP error, so I then Installed AVG
and ran a virus Scan, then got the "tab has to recover" message a couple of
times until is booted me off the page.

After reading this string I uninstalled IE8 rebooted and IE6 came up and was
able to update office 2003 with all the current updates.

Not sure why IE8 has a problem but thanks to this link I was able to fix the
issue.... Thank you

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Call the free support number for further assistance, John. What you're
> describing simply does not make sense to me.
>
> John wrote:
> > The only reason I did not have anti-virus and or anti-malware is because I
> > did not want those programs to interfere with application installs, after
> > the applications are installed I usually install anti-virus as the very
> > last
> > thing.
> >
> > This is definitely a reproducible problem with a different 2nd computer.
> > The steps I took to reproduce the problem on the 2nd computer is exactly
> > the
> > same as the 1st computer.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> I would NOT recommend connecting any computer to the internet or any
> >> networks without active anti-virus protection. And I would strongly
> >> recommend installing Windows Defender (free).
> >>
> >> That being said, take a close(r) look at
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=875352 (the OptIn description,
> >> especially).
> >>
> >> AFAIK, the default DEP settings would not have caused the DEP prompt when
> >> installing the OGA (Office Genuine Advantage) add-on with IE8 installed.
> >>
> >> The fact that you do not have any active, real-time anti-virus and
> >> anti-spyware running suggests that something else malicious may have been
> >> responsible for the prompt/warning. Why you did NOT get this warning in
> >> IE6 I cannot explain...other than the fact that perhaps your install of
> >> IE8 was compromised by already-present malware.
> >>
> >> If you suspect that IE8 was at fault here:
> >>
> >> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> >> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
> >> December
> >> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> >> non-domain
> >> environment.
> >> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> >> => Other locales:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043 --
> >> ~PA Bear

EnterOman

Re: IE8 freezes in Microsoft Office Update add-on
ALSO Google Toolbar or any other add on programs where installed