Animated GIF as background image

Joern Schou-Rode

Animated GIF as background image
I am using a small animated GIF as a background for a <div> element, to
indicate that something is loading. While IE6, IE7 and the whole bunch of
non-MS browsers display this well, I see no animation in IE8.

Until now, I have failed trying to make a simple replica of the problem,
but at least it consistently shows on our website. Follow the link below,
select some random values for the two drop down lists, and click the
"download" button. The green wheel like icon on the next page is supposed
to animate:

http://bookboon.com/int/student/economics/econometrics

Searching on Google, tells me that others have had problems with animated
GIFs in the beta versions of IE8, but from what i read, the problem should
have been solved in RC1. Has the same problem returned in RTM, or have I
found another (related) bug?

I hope someone has idea. Suggestions to make a more simple page exposing
the problem will be appreciated as well.

--
Joern Schou-Rode
http://malamute.dk/
rob^_^

Re: Animated GIF as background image
Hi,

Vista x86 SP1/IE8 RTW... no problems except.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0;
GTB6; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0)
Timestamp: Wed, 6 May 2009 22:09:20 UTC

Message: Not implemented

Line: 123
Char: 21
Code: 0
URI:
http://bookboon.com/content/scripts/...on.frontend.js

Check your setting for "Play animations in webpages*" on the Advanced tab of
Internet Options.

Regards.

"Joern Schou-Rode" <jsr@malamute.dk> wrote in message
newsp.uti1m8wd31zpn8@marvin...
> I am using a small animated GIF as a background for a <div> element, to
> indicate that something is loading. While IE6, IE7 and the whole bunch of
> non-MS browsers display this well, I see no animation in IE8.
>
> Until now, I have failed trying to make a simple replica of the problem,
> but at least it consistently shows on our website. Follow the link below,
> select some random values for the two drop down lists, and click the
> "download" button. The green wheel like icon on the next page is supposed
> to animate:
>
> http://bookboon.com/int/student/economics/econometrics
>
> Searching on Google, tells me that others have had problems with animated
> GIFs in the beta versions of IE8, but from what i read, the problem should
> have been solved in RC1. Has the same problem returned in RTM, or have I
> found another (related) bug?
>
> I hope someone has idea. Suggestions to make a more simple page exposing
> the problem will be appreciated as well.
>
> --
> Joern Schou-Rode
> http://malamute.dk/

Donald Anadell

Re: Animated GIF as background image

"Joern Schou-Rode" <jsr@malamute.dk> wrote in message
newsp.uti1m8wd31zpn8@marvin...
>I am using a small animated GIF as a background for a <div> element, to
>indicate that something is loading. While IE6, IE7 and the whole bunch of
>non-MS browsers display this well, I see no animation in IE8.
>
> Until now, I have failed trying to make a simple replica of the problem,
> but at least it consistently shows on our website. Follow the link below,
> select some random values for the two drop down lists, and click the
> "download" button. The green wheel like icon on the next page is supposed
> to animate:
>
> http://bookboon.com/int/student/economics/econometrics

Can't reproduce the problem here with Windows XP SP3 (IE6,IE7,or IE8). Your
animated gif file "loading.gif" is animating here in all three versions.
See Rob's reply for possible solution.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Searching on Google, tells me that others have had problems with animated
> GIFs in the beta versions of IE8, but from what i read, the problem should
> have been solved in RC1. Has the same problem returned in RTM, or have I
> found another (related) bug?
>
> I hope someone has idea. Suggestions to make a more simple page exposing
> the problem will be appreciated as well.
>
> --
> Joern Schou-Rode
> http://malamute.dk/

Richard

Re: Animated GIF as background image

"Joern Schou-Rode" <jsr@malamute.dk> wrote in message
newsp.uti1m8wd31zpn8@marvin...
>I am using a small animated GIF as a background for a <div> element, to
>indicate that something is loading. While IE6, IE7 and the whole bunch of
>non-MS browsers display this well, I see no animation in IE8.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced
| Multimedia section[*] Play animations in web pages

That item's right-click "What's This" says:
Specifies whether animations can play when pages are displayed.
Pages that contain animations are sometimes displayed very slowly. If you
want to display pages more quickly, make sure this check box is cleared.
When this check box is cleared, you can still play an individual animation
by right-clicking the icon that represents the animation and then clicking
Show Picture.

(Does IE8 install with that item unchecked by default?)

Joern Schou-Rode

On Sun, 17 May 2009 06:25:50 +0200, Richard <richard@avbtab.org> wrote:

> (Does IE8 install with that item unchecked by default?)

Nope - it was checked already, but still my animation does not play

--
Joern Schou-Rode
http://malamute.dk/
Donald Anadell

newsp.uu9gbdnq31zpn8@marvin...
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 06:25:50 +0200, Richard <richard@avbtab.org> wrote:
>
>> (Does IE8 install with that item unchecked by default?)

> Nope - it was checked already, but still my animation does not play

I took a closer look at the animated gif you are using at your
site(loading.gif). As I previously stated in this thread it's working in
all Browsers here that I've tested it with.

Looking at the headers in your GIF image(loading.gif) using Notepad, I see
that the image was generated by Ajaxload.info:
http://www.ajaxload.info/

By default, gif images that are created and saved from that
site(Ajaxload.info) have an Animation Property for "Looping" that is set to
"Indefinitely". However, the particular Gif image that you are using on
your site has the Looping Property has been changed to looping value of only
6 times.

You might try remaking and redownloading the gif file so that it retains
it's default looping properties that are generated at that site.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> --
> Joern Schou-Rode
> http://malamute.dk/

Joern Schou-Rode

Re: Animated GIF as background image
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:58:42 +0200, Donald Anadell
<danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote:

> I took a closer look at the animated gif you are using at your
> site(loading.gif). As I previously stated in this thread it's working in
> all Browsers here that I've tested it with.

It works in all browsers here, except from IE8 on XP SP3. Dropping the GIF
itself on IE causes the image to animate as expected. Creating a simple
page with the image as CSS background-image makes a lot of animation as
well. Only on our website it does not work - I guess it might be related
to the fact that the image gets hidden by javscript at page load, and only
later gets displayed.

> You might try remaking and redownloading the gif file so that it retains
> it's default looping properties that are generated at that site.

Well, we did start out with the GIF from Ajaxload.info, and the problem
was present with the orginal version. The modified version (with a limited
number of loops and fewer colors) was created hoping that it would
magically solve the problem, but it did not. I now modified the animation
to loop indefinatly again, but his does not seem to change anything.

--
Joern Schou-Rode
http://malamute.dk/
Donald Anadell

newsp.uu9j1dzf31zpn8@marvin...
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:58:42 +0200, Donald Anadell
> <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote:
>
>> I took a closer look at the animated gif you are using at your
>> site(loading.gif). As I previously stated in this thread it's working in
>> all Browsers here that I've tested it with.

> It works in all browsers here, except from IE8 on XP SP3. Dropping the GIF
> itself on IE causes the image to animate as expected. Creating a simple
> page with the image as CSS background-image makes a lot of animation as
> well. Only on our website it does not work - I guess it might be related
> to the fact that the image gets hidden by javscript at page load, and only
> later gets displayed.

I'm out of ideas here then. I cannot reproduce the problem here in IE8 on
XP SP3, the image animates just fine.

The only way I'm able to reproduce your symptom here with IE8 is to remove
the checkmark from "Play animations in webpages".

Are you quite sure you don't have a Restriction or Policy in place on the
machine with regard to 'Play_Animations'?

If you navigate to the following Registry Key using the Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\

Does "Play_Animations" have a Data value of "yes"?

Is it possible you have some third party Security Application with some
similar setting involving Animations in the Browser?

Have you tried IE8 in No Add-ons mode to see if the problem persists?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

>> You might try remaking and redownloading the gif file so that it retains
>> it's default looping properties that are generated at that site.

> Well, we did start out with the GIF from Ajaxload.info, and the problem
> was present with the orginal version. The modified version (with a limited
> number of loops and fewer colors) was created hoping that it would
> magically solve the problem, but it did not. I now modified the animation
> to loop indefinatly again, but his does not seem to change anything.
>
> --
> Joern Schou-Rode
> http://malamute.dk/

Joern Schou-Rode

Re: Animated GIF as background image
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:45:47 +0200, Donald Anadell
<danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote:

> I'm out of ideas here then. I cannot reproduce the problem here in IE8
> on XP SP3, the image animates just fine.

Strange... The defect was reported by users of our site, and I am able to
reproduce it on my laptop. After your report, I got more curious and
tested it on a fresh install in a virtual machine - and it works. I guess
I could just close the issue now with a "worksforme" resolution

> Are you quite sure you don't have a Restriction or Policy in place on the
> machine with regard to 'Play_Animations'?

Pretty sure. I sure did not add such policy myself, and my laptop is not
part of any Windows domain.

> If you navigate to the following Registry Key using the Registry Editor:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\

I find the value "yes".

If no other ideas turns up in this newsgroup, I will not investigate this
issue any further. Apparantly IE8 is somehow messed up on my and some of
my users' computers, but this really is not that big a problem.

Thanks for your help!

--
Joern Schou-Rode
http://malamute.dk/