Clicking on URL links in Outlook Express e-mails do not bring up web pages in IE8.

Richard A. Landkamer

Clicking on URL links in Outlook Express e-mails do not bring up web pages in IE8.
Last weekend I upgraded from IE7 to IE8. Now when I click on web page links in Outlook Express, the web page will not come up in IE8 like it did in IE7.

If I click on a URL Link in an e-mail in Outlook Express and do not previously have IE8 running, I do not see Windows Internet Explorer running under Applications in Windows Task Manager. However, if I look under Processes in Windows Task Manager, I see one or more running occurrences of iexplore.exe, one of which will be using all available CPU. After about a minute the high CPU stops, and at least one of the running occurrences of iexplore.exe usually terminates. It appears that Outlook Express is attempting to bring up IE8 when I click on a URL link in an e-mail, but is not able to do so. I never had this problem when I was running Outlook Express with IE7.

If Outlook Express cannot be made to interface with IE8, then I will be forced revert back to using IE7.

Also, I am running the current version 8.0.298.035 of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. I do not get any pop up message from ZoneAlarm when this problem occurs. On the other have, I cannot rule out the possibility that ZoneAlarm could be preventing Outlook Express from invoking IE8. However, I do not have any problem bringing up IE8 by itself.

Richard A. Landkamer
Leonard Grey

Re: Clicking on URL links in Outlook Express e-mails do not bringup web pages in IE8.
Is IE 8 your default web browser?

Is Outlook Express selected as the default e-mail program in Internet
Explorer? [Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab]
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Richard A. Landkamer wrote:
> Last weekend I upgraded from IE7 to IE8. Now when I click on web page links in Outlook Express, the web page will not come up in IE8 like it did in IE7.
>
> If I click on a URL Link in an e-mail in Outlook Express and do not previously have IE8 running, I do not see Windows Internet Explorer running under Applications in Windows Task Manager. However, if I look under Processes in Windows Task Manager, I see one or more running occurrences of iexplore.exe, one of which will be using all available CPU. After about a minute the high CPU stops, and at least one of the running occurrences of iexplore.exe usually terminates. It appears that Outlook Express is attempting to bring up IE8 when I click on a URL link in an e-mail, but is not able to do so. I never had this problem when I was running Outlook Express with IE7.
>
> If Outlook Express cannot be made to interface with IE8, then I will be forced revert back to using IE7.
>
> Also, I am running the current version 8.0.298.035 of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. I do not get any pop up message from ZoneAlarm when this problem occurs. On the other have, I cannot rule out the possibility that ZoneAlarm could be preventing Outlook Express from invoking IE8. However, I do not have any problem bringing up IE8 by itself.
>
> Richard A. Landkamer

Re: Clicking on URL links in Outlook Express e-mails do not bring up web pages in IE8.
[crossposted to OE General]

Was ZAISS running in the background when you installed IE8 on your WinXP SP3 machine?

Is IE your default Browser?

1a. Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults | Click on the downward-pointing arrows to the right of the configuration that's already checked | Browser: Select "Internet Explorer" here (not "Use my current...").

Illustration: http://www.winsupersite.com/images/r...p1_beta_03.gif

1b. Now check your settings here: IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs | Default web browser

If no joy, see:

2a. http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

2b. Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to IE7 [and/or IE8]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867

2c. Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express or in Word:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823301

"Richard A. Landkamer" <ralandka@pdq.net> wrote in message news:%239FnvynzJHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

First, I temporarily turned off ZAISS when I installed IE8 under Windows XP SP3.

Second, when I attempt to: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults | Click on the downward-pointing arrows to the right of the configuration that's already checked | Browser: Select "Internet Explorer" here (not "Use my current...").:

(1) Under Microsoft Windows in this configuration, Internet Explorer is listed as my Web browser, and Outlook Express is listed as my E-mail program.

(2) The only place that I can change these options in the above configuration is under Custom. Here my default browser is listed as listed as "Use my current web browser", and my default e-mail program is listed as "Use my current e-mail program". I have tried several times to change these settings to explicitly use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. When I click on OK, I get a pop up window stating that these changes are being applied. However, when I go back and look at these settings again, they always revert back to their previous settings. So apparently these settings cannot actually be changed for some reason. Why can't I change these settings?

(3) Another setting that is wrong in the above configuration is that the "Microsoft Virtual Machine" is shown as the "Virtual machine for Java". This is not correct. I am currently using Sun Java Version 6 Update 13, which is the current version of Sun Java. However, in this case I am allowed to check the option to "Use my current virtual machine for Java", but it will not allow me to "Enable access to this program". I wonder if this erroneous configuration is part of my problem. Why does Microsoft think that I am using the "Microsoft Virtual Machine", and why can't I "Enable access to this program", which should be Sun Java?

Richard A. Landkamer

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eG5P%23KozJHA.4116@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
[...]

Have you resolve the problem, yes or no?

Did you disable (1) the anti-virus and (2) the firewall components of ZAISS and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing IE8?

What you describe in (2) is normal, WYSIWYG behavior: After making the change(s) and then revisiting the section, "Use my current" is pointing to the choices you'd just made (e.g., IE and OE). Yes, it seems counterintuitive, doesn't it?

That being said, one or more real-time "system protections" in ZAISS could be disallowing the changes so YMMV. This could also apply to your (3).

Speaking of (3), is IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Java (Sun) | Use JRE 1.6.0_13 for <applet> enabled/checked and/or can it be checked/enabled?

When (date) did you install ZAISS? Have you purchased it and is your subscription current?

What anti-virus application or security suite was installed before you installed ZAISS? Was its subscription still current when you uninstalled it prior to installing ZAISS?

"Richard A. Landkamer" <ralandka@pdq.net> wrote in message news:e85SDPpzJHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

(1) I did not use Windows Update to install IE8. Instead, I downloaded the IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe installation file for IE8 a few days before installing IE8. Since I use an old dial up Internet connection, I simply terminated my Internet connection, shutdown ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, and executed the IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe file to install IE8. After installing IE8, I recall that I had to reboot my computer twice to get it to come up. The first time I rebooted my computer, it came up without my Microsoft Optical Mouse being active.

(2) In going back through my records, I found that I purchased a 2 year subscription to ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite (ZAISS) back in September, 2007, i.e., over a year and a half ago. This subscription still has 130 days. I have installed several new releases of ZAISS during the past year and a half. Prior to installing ZAISS, I was running a standalone version of McAfee for my virus scanner, and ZoneAlarm Pro for my Internet firewall. McAfee was about a month from expiring when ZoneAlarm Pro did expire back in September, 2007. At that time, the full ZAISS was being marketed for the same price as their ZoneAlarm Pro Internet firewall, so I originally thought I was getting a good deal by "upgrading" to the full ZAISS, and saying goodbye to McAfee. I quickly had second thoughts, and concluded that back in September, 2007, the much touted full ZAISS was little more than a beta test product, which is why it was being sold for the same price as their ZoneAlarm Pro Internet firewall.

I will probably purchase a new computer within the next 6 months or so, and keep my present computer as a backup. I have not decided what security product to use on my next computer, but I doubt if it will be any ZoneAlarm product. My opinion of ZoneAlarm is that it has too much overhead, and is too unstable. About once a week my computer locks up, and if I wait a minute or two, I get a nasty ZoneAlarm pop up window beginning with "Suspicious behavior" for some application that I've been running for a long time. Most of the time I can respond to this message, but occasionally I must reboot my computer. This has gone on for over a year, which I think should be sufficient time to permanently fix this type problem.

Before I received your last response, I decided to reinstall Sun Java, and reboot my computer. I also tried installing the two fixes that you recommended at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823301 . I got a message stating that this first fix was not applicable to the software that I am running, and could not be applied. On the other hand, I was able to apply the second fix.

You asked: "Speaking of (3), is IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Java (Sun) | Use JRE 1.6.0_13 for <applet> enabled/checked and/or can it be checked/enabled?" Yes, this is checked, and yes this option can be disabled and re-enabled. So the current release of Sun Java appears to be installed OK.

I also tried making the same default changes that I did before, but these results did not change.

After doing this, I found that most (but not all) of the time this problem has been fixed. If IE8 is not running, it takes a long time for it to come up after clicking on a new URL link in an Outlook Express e-mail. Sometimes I have to click on a URL link more than once to bring up IE8. I now find this problem unpredictable. This problem did not occur when I was running IE7.

Yes, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite (ZAISS) could be causing this problem. I would be interested in finding out if other people who are not using ZAISS are also experiencing this same problem.

There is one other thing that I should mention. After upgrading to IE8, I installed "Windows Live Essentials" figuring that I could try out its features later. After doing this, I quickly discovered that the new e-mail system that comes with "Windows Live Essentials" is not compatible with Outlook Express, so I had to uninstall the e-mail system component of "Windows Live Essentials". Perhaps I should have uninstalled all of the components in "Windows Live Essentials".

Richard A. Landkamer

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uNl9$CrzJHA.4520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

This just gets muckier and muckier, Richard.

In order:

Simply "shutting down" ZAISS does not disable all of its real-time system protections. Ideally, you would have disabled the anti-virus and firewall components then enabled the Windows Firewall prior to installing IE8, even if working offline/physically disconnected from the internet. (You might have ALSO rebooted into Safe Mode beforehand, too.) All of the above would apply should you decide to uninstall IE8 IMHO.)

[You'll find pretty good peer-to-peer support for all things ZAISS at http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs.]

Prior to installing ZAISS in Sept-07, I would have (1a) uninstalled McAfee (VirusScan?), (2) disabled & uninstalled ZA Pro Firewall, (3) enabled the Windows Firewall, (4) downloaded/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool*, and (5) rebooted. [McAfee applications are notortious for uninstalling cleanly: The 'leftovers' still present on your machine could be responsible for at least some of your current issues; you may want to download/run the removal tool now. I'm not in favor of upgrading ZA without having first uninstalled the current app/version.]

Assuming you used the FixIt solution (vs the manual method) in KB929867, the "not applicable" error you got was MS's mysterious way of telling you that the Method 1 and Method 2 settings were already in place (i.e., you didn't need to use the FixIt solution).

Does any/all new IE8 windows take a long time to open or just new windows invoked by clicking on a link in an OE message? (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938)

If you think the changes you make in Set Program Access and Defaults aren't "sticking" (or you can't change them), ZAISS's real-time "system protections" may be responsible.

If you don't need or use any of them, uninstall all of the Windows Live applications you installed (includes Windows Live Toolbar, Messenger, Writer, Photo Gallery, Move Maker beta, Mail, and/or Family Safety) via Add/Remove Programs.

Should you find that clicking on/using a MailTo link does NOT open OE, I can help you with that.

CONCLUSION: Assuming your only remaining issues have been covered above, I'd say we're finished here.

[1] Step #2 of this three-step fix: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

"Richard A. Landkamer" <ralandka@pdq.net> wrote in message news:eLOhQNtzJHA.4116@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

[...]

PA Bear:

You wrote: "Does any/all new IE8 windows take a long time to open or just new windows invoked by clicking on a link in an OE message? (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938)". All new IE8 windows took a long time to open when IE8 was initially brought up. If I brought down all IE8 windows, and then restarted IE8, the same thing happened again.

However, one of the temporary(?) work-around solutions cited in your link to Article ID: 969938 has fixed a significant cause of this whole problem. I refer to the following specific statements in this article:

"This issue can also be caused if using Spybot and the Spybot immunization feature is enabled. ...

"Note If you currently have Spybot installed with the immunization feature enabled, you will need to disable that feature until that issue is resolved. ..."

I use some but not all of the features in the current release of Spybot Search and Destroy. I do not use Spybot's "Resident 'SD Helper'" and "Resident 'Tea Timer" features, because I think that using these features would most likely conflict with some of the Spyware and other features in ZAISS, and cause me no end of problems.

However, I forgot about the immunization features in Spybot Search and Destroy. After reading the above in Article ID: 969938, I turned off all of the immunization features in Spybot that are specifically for Internet Explorer. I left on the immunization features for Mozilla Firefox and Windows Global (Hosts). I am not certain if I should have also turned off the immunization feature for Windows Global (Hosts).

Turning off all of the immunization feature settings that are specifically for Internet Explorer in Spybot has had a significant effect on my original problem. I would say that IE8 now initially comes up 2 or 3 times faster than it did before.

Tomorrow I will test temporarily disabling some of the add-ons in IE8 to see what effect these are having on IE8 performance.

I also ran the McAfee removal tool that you referred to, but I doubt if this had much effect, since I have not been running any McAfee products on my computer since September, 2007.

At least some of this just got less "muckier" after I turned off all of the immunization features in Spybot that are specifically for Internet Explorer. I still do not know why I cannot change some of the settings that I previously referred to. Turning off the above immunization features in Spybot had no effect on being able to change these settings.

Richard A. Landkamer

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23ODTdcyzJHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

Briefly...

The Spybot Immunizations affecting IE8 are those which place sites in Restricted Sites zone. Other anti-spyware applications (e.g., SpywareBlaster; ZonedOut) can do this, too.

If links in OE are opening in IE now, don't worry about Set Program Access and Defaults. If they're not & you still can't make any changes and Tea Timer isn't enabled and you have no other anti-spyware apps install, start looking at the "system protections" afforded by ZAISS.

Did you examine the log generated by the McAfee removal tool? If you did, I think you'd be very surprised by the number of "leftovers" it found and removed.

SDHelper should be enabled IMHO.
--
~PA Bear

"Richard A. Landkamer" <ralandka@pdq.net> wrote in message news:e5a7FG7zJHA.5032@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

When the McAfee removal tool finished running, I immediately got a pop up window asking me to respond yes to reboot my computer. So I responded yes, after which I noticed that this tool had generated a log. By then it was too late to look at this log, unless it is still on my computer somewhere.

I'll try running with SD Helper enabled in Spybot. If my computer freezes, I'll figure that this is incompatible with ZAISS, and disable SD Helper.

Yes, all links in OE are now opening in IE8 like they previously did in IE7.

There is one change that I would like to make if this can be done: If I click on the 1st link in an OE e-mail, it comes up in the 1st tab in the 1st IE8 window. Then if I click on a 2nd link in an OE e-mail, it reuses the same 1st tab in this same IE8 window. Instead, I would like this 2nd link to open a new 2nd tab in this same IE8 window. Can this possibly be made to happen? What is happening is identical to what previously happened in IE7.

Richard A. Landkamer