IE8 Crashes just after installing

Dr Gooner

IE8 Crashes just after installing
I have XP Pro SP3 on a Dell laptop and was running IE7 with no problems, I
ran the usual Windows Update while watching football and failed to notice the
IE8 installation, I now get this error:-
The instruction at "0x5ddfe933" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The
memory could not be "read". with usual OK or Cancel options. I have searched
the web for this entry but cannot find anything, I will divert to IE7 if
there is no resolution to this.

Lost 3-1 to Man Utd, generally a very bad day

Thanks
Dean

Re: IE8 Crashes just after installing
1. Does the behavior persist if you access the page in Compatibility Mode?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

6. Does the behavior persist after uninstalling IE8?

Dr Gooner wrote:
> I have XP Pro SP3 on a Dell laptop and was running IE7 with no problems, I
> ran the usual Windows Update while watching football and failed to notice
> the IE8 installation, I now get this error:-
> The instruction at "0x5ddfe933" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The
> memory could not be "read". with usual OK or Cancel options. I have
> searched
> the web for this entry but cannot find anything, I will divert to IE7 if
> there is no resolution to this.
>
> Lost 3-1 to Man Utd, generally a very bad day
>
> Thanks
> Dean

dbcecil

RE: IE8 Crashes just after installing
I too have the same problem on a desktop (XP). The update appeared to fail
(did not get a notice) and now I get the error as soon as I try to launch IE.
Have tried to roll back to IE7 with no luck.

I think the update may have failed due to lack of disk space. Have plenty
of disk space. Can ping and tracert out to the web, but cannot get IE to
launch. Cannot run windows update, because it requires IE.

Not having fun.

Thanks,
Brent