IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?

Ahscot

IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only 'fix' at
present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created in IE by
Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked by IE
(in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration). Also run
Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and antivirus
(and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software removal tool). If I
delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this would
remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration zones and
trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a bad idea? Thanks

Andrew Becnel

Re: IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
Yo!

Deleting restricted sites will not speed up IE8's starting up process.

However, what u can try is get a diffrent virus protection software program
as you may have one that is very difficult 4 your systems processor to
handle thuts slowing down your IE8 Starting up speed. Or you could keep your
current virus protetcion software but turn IE8's Protected Mode off in the
Internet Zone as this will speed up IE8's starting speed as well, your virus
protection software will continue to protect your computer even if you turn
IE8's Protected Mode off in the Internet Zone. Or u could try uninstalling
programs that are installed on your computer that you no longer use as this
will incease IE8's starting up speed as well.

Regards,

J.A.Becnel

JABX Productions-Entertainning AMERICA!- www.youtube.com/jabxproductions01

"Ahscot" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only 'fix'
> at
> present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created in IE
> by
> Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked by IE
> (in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration). Also run
> Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and antivirus
> (and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software removal tool). If
> delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this would
> remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration zones and
> trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a bad idea?
> Thanks

VanguardLH

Ahscot wrote:

> Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only 'fix' at
> present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created in IE by
> Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked by IE
> (in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration). Also run
> Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and antivirus
> (and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software removal tool). If I
> delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this would
> remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration zones and
> trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a bad idea? Thanks

The added security in IE8 along with the 3rd party security software you
use pretty much obviates the use of the Restricted Sites security zone
as an ad-blocker. Instead look at using a hosts file if nothing you use
can provide ad-blocking. IE7Pro is an add-on with an ad-blocker but I'd
wait until it has been qualified for use with IE8 (some of its features
don't work or are flaky with IE8). The hosts file requires a fully
qualified domain name and that means the host must be specified. If you
look in the pre-compiled hosts files, like the MVP hosts file, there are
more than 50 entries just for Doubleclick(.com|.net). They can add
hosts whenever they please to get around current hosts files plus they
can use a dynamic hostname (any hostname will be accepted) and obviously
your hosts file cannot contain every possible permutation of a hostname
(which could include subdomains before the hostname). In OpenDNS, you
would only add 2 entries and you're done with Doubleclick
(doubleclick.com and doubleclick.net).

You could use an alternate DNS provider than your ISP that includes
domain blocking. OpenDNS lets you create a free account where you can
select categories of domains to block and/or specifying up to 50 domains
(without regard to hostnames) to block. You can do the filtering up at
the DNS server.

Some security programs also let you block on domains in URLs. I use
Avast (free) for my anti-virus program and its Web Shield includes
domain blocking (by domain, not by hostname). So I can do the same
thing in Avast as I could when using OpenDNS (but Avast doesn't have the
limit of 50 blocked domains in a freebie OpenDNS account - although it
has taken me a long time to hit the 50 limit).

Before deleting all sites from all security zone via DelDomains.inf,
record the sites you have listed in the Trusted Sites security zone.
There probably is less than a dozen of these. Then using the
DelDomain.inf file to clear out the security zone. Afterward, re-add
your sites in the Trusted Sites security zone.
Daniel Crichton

Andrew wrote on Wed, 6 May 2009 09:44:57 -0500:

> Yo!

> Deleting restricted sites will not speed up IE8's starting up process.

> However, what u can try is get a diffrent virus protection software
> program as you may have one that is very difficult 4 your systems
> processor to handle thuts slowing down your IE8 Starting up speed. Or
> you could keep your current virus protetcion software but turn IE8's
> Protected Mode off in the Internet Zone as this will speed up IE8's
> starting speed as well, your
> virus protection software will continue to protect your computer even
> if you turn IE8's Protected Mode off in the Internet Zone. Or u could try
> uninstalling programs that are installed on your computer that you no
> longer use as this will incease IE8's starting up speed as well.

> Regards,

> J.A.Becnel

I can only assume you have not actually tried the clearing of Restricted
Sites yourself, or read any of the posts that show that having a lot of
sites in the Restricted Sites list does indeed cause IE8 to be very slow to
start up. The OP's post even implies that this "fix" works but it's not what
he wants to do.

Dan

> JABX Productions-Entertainning AMERICA!-
> www.youtube.com/jabxproductions01

> "Ahscot" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:ewJjkjkzJHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only
>> 'fix'
>> at present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created
>> in IE by
>> Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked
>> by IE (in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration).
>> Also run
>> Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and
>> antivirus (and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software
>> removal tool). If
>> I delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this
>> would remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration
>> zones and trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a
>> bad idea?
>> Thanks

Re: IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
Horse hockey (though a huge number of sites running in Restricted Sites zone
isn't the only cause of "slow to start" issues).

Andrew Becnel wrote:
> Yo!
>
> Deleting restricted sites will not speed up IE8's starting up process.
>
> However, what u can try is get a diffrent virus protection software
> program
> as you may have one that is very difficult 4 your systems processor to
> handle thuts slowing down your IE8 Starting up speed. Or you could keep
> your
> current virus protetcion software but turn IE8's Protected Mode off in the
> Internet Zone as this will speed up IE8's starting speed as well, your
> virus
> protection software will continue to protect your computer even if you
> turn
> IE8's Protected Mode off in the Internet Zone. Or u could try uninstalling
> programs that are installed on your computer that you no longer use as
> this
> will incease IE8's starting up speed as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> J.A.Becnel
>

> JABX Productions-Entertainning AMERICA!- www.youtube.com/jabxproductions01
>
> "Ahscot" <m-rharrison@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only 'fix'
>> at
>> present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created in IE
>> by
>> Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked by IE
>> (in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration). Also run
>> Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and
>> antivirus
>> (and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software removal tool). If
>> delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this would
>> remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration zones and
>> trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a bad idea?
>> Thanks

Re: IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
See this related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b

Also see:

Internet Explorer 8 takes longer than expected to start:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938

Note the DelDomains will remove all sites from *all* Security zones. Better
to de-Immunize Spybot and disable the appropriate SpywareBlaster
Protections (which should also be done prior to uninstalling either
application).

Ahscot wrote:
> Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only 'fix'
> at
> present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created in IE
> by
> Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked by IE
> (in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration). Also run
> Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and antivirus
> (and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software removal tool). If
> delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this would
> remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration zones and
> trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a bad idea?
> Thanks

Ahscot

Re: IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
Many thanks, guys. for your considerable advice.

One more question. I have installed Deldomains and IE is now running much
faster. Having done so, should I now uninstall SB and Spyware Blaster, as
being redundant, install a Hosts program (e.g. Hostsman), and rely on my
firewall and other protections I have mentioned? Or would that approach be
wrong?

> See this related discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b
>
> Also see:
>
> Internet Explorer 8 takes longer than expected to start:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938
>
> Note the DelDomains will remove all sites from *all* Security zones.
> Better
> to de-Immunize Spybot and disable the appropriate SpywareBlaster
> Protections (which should also be done prior to uninstalling either
> application).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Ahscot wrote:
>> Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only 'fix'
>> at
>> present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created in IE
>> by
>> Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked by IE
>> (in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration). Also run
>> Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and
>> antivirus
>> (and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software removal tool). If
>> delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this would
>> remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration zones and
>> trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a bad idea?
>> Thanks

Re: IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
Feel free to keep Spybot and SpywareBlaster installed, if you want, just
don't enabled any Immunizations/Protections that would put sites in
Restricted Sites zone.

Or uninstall both (after de-Immunizing/disabling all Protections) and
replace them with Windows Defender (if not already installed).

RELATED:

Please note that if & when you install WinXP SP3, you will NOT be able to
uninstall IE8 (or IE7):

About IE7 (and higher) and Windows XP Service Pack 3

If you do not have SP3 installed by July 2010, the computer will not be
offered any further critical security updates....so you MAY want to
uninstall IE8 (and IE7) and get SP3 installed now.

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/

The free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 has
been extended (but certainly not indefinitely) beyond the original 14 April
2009 cut-off date. Open your browser to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Ahscot wrote:
> Many thanks, guys. for your considerable advice.
>
> One more question. I have installed Deldomains and IE is now running much
> faster. Having done so, should I now uninstall SB and Spyware Blaster, as
> being redundant, install a Hosts program (e.g. Hostsman), and rely on my
> firewall and other protections I have mentioned? Or would that approach be
> wrong?

>> See this related discussion:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b
>>
>> Also see:
>>
>> Internet Explorer 8 takes longer than expected to start:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938
>>
>> Note the DelDomains will remove all sites from *all* Security zones.
>> Better
>> to de-Immunize Spybot and disable the appropriate SpywareBlaster
>> Protections (which should also be done prior to uninstalling either
>> application).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Ahscot wrote:
>>> Have just installed IE8 in a XP SP2 PC. IE v slow to start. Only 'fix'
>>> at
>>> present is to delete restricted sites, which I believe are created in IE
>>> by
>>> Spybot and Spyware Blaster which I run. No such sites ever blocked by
>>> IE
>>> (in IE, click on Tools/Spybot search destroy configuration). Also run
>>> Comodo Internet Security, with firewall set to stealth mode, and
>>> antivirus
>>> (and Trojan Hunter, Ad-aware and MS Malicious software removal tool).
>>> If
>>> delete restricted sites, using, say, the Deldomains package, this would
>>> remove all IE restricted sites, enhanced security configuration zones
>>> and
>>> trusted sites. Given my set-up, would this be a good or a bad idea?
>>> Thanks

Ahscot

Re: IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
PA Bear, huge advice - I had no idea. Many thanks, mate.

> Feel free to keep Spybot and SpywareBlaster installed, if you want, just
> don't enabled any Immunizations/Protections that would put sites in
> Restricted Sites zone.
>
> Or uninstall both (after de-Immunizing/disabling all Protections) and
> replace them with Windows Defender (if not already installed).
>
> RELATED:
>
> Please note that if & when you install WinXP SP3, you will NOT be able to
> uninstall IE8 (or IE7):
>
> About IE7 (and higher) and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>
> If you do not have SP3 installed by July 2010, the computer will not be
> offered any further critical security updates....so you MAY want to
> uninstall IE8 (and IE7) and get SP3 installed now.
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> The free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3
> has been extended (but certainly not indefinitely) beyond the original 14
> April 2009 cut-off date. Open your browser to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Ahscot wrote:
>> Many thanks, guys. for your considerable advice.
>>
>> One more question. I have installed Deldomains and IE is now running
>> much
>> faster. Having done so, should I now uninstall SB and Spyware Blaster,
>> as
>> being redundant, install a Hosts program (e.g. Hostsman), and rely on my
>> firewall and other protections I have mentioned? Or would that approach
>> be
>> wrong?

>>> See this related discussion:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b
>>>
>>> Also see:
>>>
>>> Internet Explorer 8 takes longer than expected to start:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938
>>>
>>> Note the DelDomains will remove all sites from *all* Security zones.
>>> Better
>>> to de-Immunize Spybot and disable the appropriate SpywareBlaster
>>> Protections (which should also be done prior to uninstalling either
>>> application).
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE8 - very slow to start -delete restricted sites?
YW & thanks for your feedback.