IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

John

IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
I'm running WinXP SP3 & just upgraded to IE8. Was logged into Facebook,
clicked Edit Account and IE8 displayed "Internet Explorer cannot display the
webpage" error page. This action has worked fine using IE7 in the past, but
now I see this error regularly.

Clicking "More Info" list a bunch of irrelevant suggestions.

Clicking diagnose problem brings up a dialog box "Welcome to Network
Diagnostics..." and the browser tab immediately displays the desired web page
w/ no problems.

Sure looks to me like IE8 is whining about non-problems. How to I get IE8
to go directly to the desired URL and not show this annoying message?

I appreciate your help, -John
D. Spencer Hines

Re: IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Yep...

Nanny Software.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

> I'm running WinXP SP3 & just upgraded to IE8. Was logged into Facebook,
> clicked Edit Account and IE8 displayed "Internet Explorer cannot display
> the
> webpage" error page. This action has worked fine using IE7 in the past,
> but
> now I see this error regularly.
>
> Clicking "More Info" list a bunch of irrelevant suggestions.
>
> Clicking diagnose problem brings up a dialog box "Welcome to Network
> Diagnostics..." and the browser tab immediately displays the desired web
> page
> w/ no problems.
>
> Sure looks to me like IE8 is whining about non-problems. How to I get IE8
> to go directly to the desired URL and not show this annoying message?
>
> I appreciate your help, -John

Re: IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

John wrote:
> I'm running WinXP SP3 & just upgraded to IE8. Was logged into Facebook,
> clicked Edit Account and IE8 displayed "Internet Explorer cannot display
> the
> webpage" error page. This action has worked fine using IE7 in the past,
> but
> now I see this error regularly.
>
> Clicking "More Info" list a bunch of irrelevant suggestions.
>
> Clicking diagnose problem brings up a dialog box "Welcome to Network
> Diagnostics..." and the browser tab immediately displays the desired web
> page w/ no problems.
>
> Sure looks to me like IE8 is whining about non-problems. How to I get IE8
> to go directly to the desired URL and not show this annoying message?
>
> I appreciate your help, -John

TaurArian

Re: IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
You receive an error message in Internet Explorer: "Internet Explorer cannot
display the webpage"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

You cannot browse specific Web pages when you use Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967897

You cannot view a secure Web site in Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968089

Advanced solutions: Some Web sites may not be displayed correctly or work
correctly in Windows Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968499

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

> I'm running WinXP SP3 & just upgraded to IE8. Was logged into Facebook,
> clicked Edit Account and IE8 displayed "Internet Explorer cannot display
> the
> webpage" error page. This action has worked fine using IE7 in the past,
> but
> now I see this error regularly.
>
> Clicking "More Info" list a bunch of irrelevant suggestions.
>
> Clicking diagnose problem brings up a dialog box "Welcome to Network
> Diagnostics..." and the browser tab immediately displays the desired web
> page
> w/ no problems.
>
> Sure looks to me like IE8 is whining about non-problems. How to I get IE8
> to go directly to the desired URL and not show this annoying message?
>
> I appreciate your help, -John

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Hi,
Facebook should work OK with IE8. Try clearing the Temporary Internet Files
and deleting all cookies (or find and delete any cookies from facebook.)
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

> I'm running WinXP SP3 & just upgraded to IE8. Was logged into Facebook,
> clicked Edit Account and IE8 displayed "Internet Explorer cannot display

the
> webpage" error page. This action has worked fine using IE7 in the past,

but
> now I see this error regularly.
>
> Clicking "More Info" list a bunch of irrelevant suggestions.
>
> Clicking diagnose problem brings up a dialog box "Welcome to Network
> Diagnostics..." and the browser tab immediately displays the desired web

page
> w/ no problems.
>
> Sure looks to me like IE8 is whining about non-problems. How to I get IE8
> to go directly to the desired URL and not show this annoying message?
>
> I appreciate your help, -John

feranm_ie8team

Re: IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Hi, my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach
Team to provide assistance and help answer questions people might have
about Internet Explorer.
If you are having viewing issues in IE8 try the Compatibility View
feature. It is a broken page icon located next to the refresh button on
the toolbar. Clicking the icon may help resolve your issues.
If that does not work, you can try uninstalling IE8 (as posted earlier)
and then reinstalling it again. This has solved similar issues for other
users.
I hope this helps!
Feran,
Internet Explorer Outreach Team

--
feranm_ie8team

PFNikolai is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
I was able to fix this problem by deleting my files, cookies, and history but had to also make sure that I did not preserve data on my Favorites. To do so using IE8 I did the following:
1) click Tools > Internet Options > Delete...
2) uncheck Preserve Favorites
3) check Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History and click Delete
4) when finished, click OK, close Internet Explorer, and then open it again