IE8 & WLM

D. Spencer Hines

IE8 & WLM
The thing we have got to get through the hard noodles of the developers is
as follows:

Yes -- implement new security fixes in updates as required.

No -- do NOT try to change the GUI everytime you upgrade, simply because you
want to be "creative", "original" and "artistic" UNLESS you are adding truly
useful and DESIRED [find out from the users before you do it] features.
--
D. Spencer Hines
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

> IE installs/uninstalls are most successful if you disable all real-time
> "system protections" (e.g., anti-virus; anti-spyware; third-party
> firewalls)
> and enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing/uninstalling. Ditto
> for
> all Windows Service Packs.
>
> Back in the Win4.x days (e.g., Win98), your preference for doing periodic
> "clean installs" made a little bit of sense IMHO but the same cannot be
> said
> of Win5.x (WinXP) and higher.
>
> I couldn't care less which browser you or anyone else uses. I do care
> about
> maintaining and securing Windows OS (which includes IE as a literal part
> of
> the OS) properly. I do care if users install major system upgrades (e.g.,
> IE8) without doing some reading beforehand.

>> Yes.
>>
>> Well, if XP starts crashing & locking up & stuff, then I'll format the
>> hard
>> drive & reinstall XP. I'm personally of the school of thought that it is
>> good idea to periodically reinstall XP. (I think that it's called Windows
>> rot.) I want to build a PC with Vista, & I've been thinking about ways
>> that
>> I can easily reinstall Vista. Right now, I want to create an image after
>> install Vista & periodically create images.
>>
>> Why are you so defensive of IE? I've tried Safari, Chrome, IE, Netscape &
>> Opera & my personal preference is Firefox.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps the third time will be the charm:

>>> The fact the you didn't have any problems installing IE8 does not
>>> necessarily mean it was installed properly.
>>>
>>> Similarly, the fact the you may not have had any problems uninstalling
>>> IE8
>>> does not necessarily mean it was uninstalled properly or completely or
>>> that
>>> Windows isn't working properly now.

>>> No, somehow the way that you installed and/or uninstall IE8 screwed up
>>> IE6
>>> *and* Windows.
>>>
>>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>>> December
>>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>>> non-domain

Peter Foldes

***Spam**
Troll Spam