Re: Question on Internet Explorer Error Message

Re: Question on Internet Explorer Error Message
[crosspost to IE General newsgroup]

CrystalBall© sez...

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop:

2. Physically disconnect the computer from the internet.

3. After making certain you have a copy of your N360 Product Key, uninstall
all Norton software (including LiveUpdate) via Control Panel | Programs |
Uninstall a program (or Control Panel | Programs and Features, if using
Classic view).

4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #9 thru #12 below until your
anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!

5. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utlility.
Don't TOUCH your computer until the run completes.

6. Reboot.

7. Uninstall "Windows Internet Explorer 8" via Add/Remove Programs; reboot
TWICE.

8. Re-connect the computer to the internet.

9. Reinstall N360 & reboot at the prompt.

10. Make CERTAIN the Norton Firewall's enabled and the Windows Firewall is
DISABLED!

11. Run (Norton/Symantec) LiveUpdate manually & repeatedly until you get a
"no more updates" prompt.

12. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
Updates offered (i.e., KB963027). If a Root Certificates update is listed
in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

IMPORTANT!! => Do NOT install IE8 again! Uncheck it, then "hide" it (for
now).

13. Test.

Joan wrote:
> Every time I exit Internet Explorer I receive the following Message:
>
> "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close"
>
> My computer was off for 5 months while I was in another state and it
> recently did 21 updates and I renewed my Norton 360. It did this with
> Internet Explorer 7 and I just upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 (is IE 8
> compatabile with Windows XP?) and it still does it.
>
> Also whenever I restart my computer I get a message something about the
> office assistant which aborts the restart. I have to begin the restart
> all
> over again.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Joan

Re: Question on Internet Explorer Error Message
I am very thankful I got my problem fixed simply by disabling some of my
addins because this procedure seems awfully complicated but I do appreciate
your response.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>
> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> 1. Download the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> 2. Physically disconnect the computer from the internet.
>
> 3. After making certain you have a copy of your N360 Product Key, uninstall
> all Norton software (including LiveUpdate) via Control Panel | Programs |
> Uninstall a program (or Control Panel | Programs and Features, if using
> Classic view).
>
> 4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #9 thru #12 below until your
> anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!
>
> 5. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utlility.
> Don't TOUCH your computer until the run completes.
>
> 6. Reboot.
>
> 7. Uninstall "Windows Internet Explorer 8" via Add/Remove Programs; reboot
> TWICE.
>
> 8. Re-connect the computer to the internet.
>
> 9. Reinstall N360 & reboot at the prompt.
>
> 10. Make CERTAIN the Norton Firewall's enabled and the Windows Firewall is
> DISABLED!
>
> 11. Run (Norton/Symantec) LiveUpdate manually & repeatedly until you get a
> "no more updates" prompt.
>
> 12. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
> Updates offered (i.e., KB963027). If a Root Certificates update is listed
> in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
> enhanced security.
>
> IMPORTANT!! => Do NOT install IE8 again! Uncheck it, then "hide" it (for
> now).
>
> 13. Test.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Joan wrote:
> > Every time I exit Internet Explorer I receive the following Message:
> >
> > "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close"
> >
> > My computer was off for 5 months while I was in another state and it
> > recently did 21 updates and I renewed my Norton 360. It did this with
> > Internet Explorer 7 and I just upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 (is IE 8
> > compatabile with Windows XP?) and it still does it.
> >
> > Also whenever I restart my computer I get a message something about the
> > office assistant which aborts the restart. I have to begin the restart
> > all
> > over again.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

Re: Question on Internet Explorer Error Message
YW, Joan.

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:

In your newsreader: