Save IE7 Settings To a File ???

Youka

Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
Like most folks, I've customized my IE7 settings via the Internet Properties
function [Start|Control Panel|Internet Options]

Is there a way to save my customized settings (General, Security, Privacy,
Content, Connection, Programs and Advanced) to a file, that can then be
restored (if needed)?

Specifically, I'd like to be able to easily revert to my current settings if
I make changes to my IE7 settings -- and the changes generate unexpected
results

Leonard Grey

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
Unfortunately, it's not possible. Most of the settings are stored in the
registry.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Youka wrote:
> Like most folks, I've customized my IE7 settings via the Internet Properties
> function [Start|Control Panel|Internet Options]
>
> Is there a way to save my customized settings (General, Security, Privacy,
> Content, Connection, Programs and Advanced) to a file, that can then be
> restored (if needed)?
>
> Specifically, I'd like to be able to easily revert to my current settings if
> I make changes to my IE7 settings -- and the changes generate unexpected
> results

rob^_^

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
Hi,

You can export your IE Settings from the registry to a .reg file. (If you
know what you are doing). It is quite complicated as there are many registry
keys that you need to export. Also, there is a danger that you will
over-write security updates that have been applied by security patches to
your IE registry keys.

Creating a System Restore Point, is the best option.

Regards.

"Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Like most folks, I've customized my IE7 settings via the Internet
> Properties
> function [Start|Control Panel|Internet Options]
>
> Is there a way to save my customized settings (General, Security, Privacy,
> Content, Connection, Programs and Advanced) to a file, that can then be
> restored (if needed)?
>
> Specifically, I'd like to be able to easily revert to my current settings
> if
> I make changes to my IE7 settings -- and the changes generate unexpected
> results

Youka

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
Thanks for the advise, guys. I actually considered both the System Restore
and Registry Export options, but was hoping that a better alternative existed.
ju.c

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
To save your Internet Explorer settings to a registry file
on the Desktop, copy each line below (after the number
and starting with "reg.exe . . .") and paste into the
Run box (each is one line, no word-wrap!):

1) reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_1.reg"
2) reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_2.reg"
3) reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_3.reg"
4) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_4.reg"
5) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_5.reg"
6) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\In ternet Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_6.reg"

To combine them all into one file just copy everything
below the top line: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
and paste it at the bottom of the first.

So, open "IE_1.reg" and scroll down to the bottom. Click
the bottom to place the cursor there, then open "IE_2.reg"
and copy everything below "Windows Registry Editor Version
5.00". Paste it onto the bottom of "IE_1.reg". Repeat for
the rest. Afterward you'll have your IE settings bached up.

ju.c

"Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88752012-5543-4A76-9428-03D61F0EB0B2@microsoft.com...
> Like most folks, I've customized my IE7 settings via the Internet Properties
> function [Start|Control Panel|Internet Options]
>
> Is there a way to save my customized settings (General, Security, Privacy,
> Content, Connection, Programs and Advanced) to a file, that can then be
> restored (if needed)?
>
> Specifically, I'd like to be able to easily revert to my current settings if
> I make changes to my IE7 settings -- and the changes generate unexpected
> results

LuxZg

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
Thanks for a tip, I was just looking for this, as I've just setup lots and
lots of things in IE8 last 2 weeks, and would really like them to be backed
up.
I made a batch file that creates a directory on another partition
(D:\IEbackup), exports all 6 files, joines them in one, and deletes the 6
files leaving just the single "all-in-one" registry file. I even added date
in case you want to export these setting all the time without thinking about
labeling them after export
For my own use, I'll probably add a copy for ad-blocker and IE7Pro config
files, but let's skip that here for other people that probably don't use
them..

So here we go:
- just open notepad, and copy/pasted my batch script which I pasted below;
like ju.c said, make sure that "reg.exe export.....reg"" lines aren't
wrapped, they have to be in one line each (in case that my news reader posts
differently)
---copy from below this line---

CD ..
CD ..
CD ..
CD ..
D:
CD ..
CD ..
CD ..
CD ..
mkdir IEbackup
CD IEbackup
reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"
"D:\IEbackup\IE_1.reg"
reg.exe export
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
Settings" "D:\IEbackup\IE_2.reg"
reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet
Explorer" "D:\IEbackup\IE_3.reg"
reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer"
"D:\IEbackup\IE_4.reg"
reg.exe export
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet
Settings" "D:\IEbackup\IE_5.reg"
reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\In ternet
Explorer" "D:\IEbackup\IE_6.reg"
copy *.reg "IEBackup_%DATE%_complete.reg"
del IE_*.reg

---end copy before this line---

Save that file as "ie_export.bat" anywhere on your disk. To save data in
different folder or on another partition you'll have to edit a little
ofcourse.. And sorry for multiple "CD .." lines, had to do it so batch file
runs fine from Desktop or My Documents.. I'm not much into DOS and bat
files, probably a better way exists

So once batch file is saved, you can just run it any time you want to backup
your registry. It should work nice and fine, and will just add the reg files
labeled with dates to that same backup folder.

I've got one question and one problem though. First easy one - if I have
multiple "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" lines in .reg file, will
this be a problem when file is imported? As my batch just merges those reg
files, so I have one line for every reg file that was created... :/

And a problem is - I get error that both "Policies" keys are not found:
"ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value."
Windows 7+IE8 here, so I guess it's in some other place, or ju.c missed a
letter, not sure. But anyway, if these are Group Policies for IE, and I
don't use them, neither home or at work (and where I do, I certainly don't
want "empty" policies from home to overwrite any at work if I'm transfering
settings between computers). So should I just ditch those two reg
keys/export steps? Anything important in them for user settings?

Thanks again, and I hope my batch file will make it easier for others a bit,
unless I've complicated it even more

Luka

"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> To save your Internet Explorer settings to a registry file
> on the Desktop, copy each line below (after the number
> and starting with "reg.exe . . .") and paste into the
> Run box (each is one line, no word-wrap!):
>
> 1) reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"
> "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_1.reg"
> 2) reg.exe export
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
> Settings" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_2.reg"
> 3) reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet
> Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_3.reg"
> 4) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t
> Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_4.reg"
> 5) reg.exe export
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet
> Settings" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_5.reg"
> 6) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\In ternet
> Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_6.reg"
>
> To combine them all into one file just copy everything
> below the top line: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> and paste it at the bottom of the first.
>
> So, open "IE_1.reg" and scroll down to the bottom. Click
> the bottom to place the cursor there, then open "IE_2.reg"
> and copy everything below "Windows Registry Editor Version
> 5.00". Paste it onto the bottom of "IE_1.reg". Repeat for
> the rest. Afterward you'll have your IE settings bached up.
>

> ju.c
>

> "Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Like most folks, I've customized my IE7 settings via the Internet
>> Properties function [Start|Control Panel|Internet Options]
>>
>> Is there a way to save my customized settings (General, Security,
>> Privacy, Content, Connection, Programs and Advanced) to a file, that can
>> then be restored (if needed)?
>>
>> Specifically, I'd like to be able to easily revert to my current settings
>> if I make changes to my IE7 settings -- and the changes generate
>> unexpected results

> signature database 4080 (20090515) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4080 (20090515) __________

http://www.eset.com

ju.c

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
RE: "And a problem is - I get error that both "Policies" keys are not found"
That's just info that the key does not exist, ignore it. If you remove the line
now and a policy is created some time in the future then you wouldn't have
it backed up.

You can use "CD\" to change to the root directory, instead of CD .., CD .., etc.

Use a variable for the drive letter so you only need to change it once.

I tweaked your batch file:

----------copy-inside-only----------
@echo off

:: To change the path just replace "D:\IEbackup"
set path=D:\IEbackup
mkdir %path%
cd %path%

%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" "%path%\IE_1.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings" "%path%\IE_2.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer" "%path%\IE_3.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer" "%path%\IE_4.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings" "%path%\IE_5.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\In ternet Explorer" "%path%\IE_6.reg"
copy "%path%\*.reg" "%path%\IEBackup_%DATE%_complete.reg"
del "%path%\IE_*.reg"
pause
cls
exit

----------copy-inside-only----------

ju.c

"LuxZg" <LuxZg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1110EE8-C653-4A86-B199-7F1FD189DFD8@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> and paste it at the bottom of the first.
>>
>> So, open "IE_1.reg" and scroll down to the bottom. Click
>> the bottom to place the cursor there, then open "IE_2.reg"
>> and copy everything below "Windows Registry Editor Version
>> 5.00". Paste it onto the bottom of "IE_1.reg". Repeat for
>> the rest. Afterward you'll have your IE settings bached up.
>>

>> ju.c
>>

>> "Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Like most folks, I've customized my IE7 settings via the Internet
>>> Properties function [Start|Control Panel|Internet Options]
>>>
>>> Is there a way to save my customized settings (General, Security,
>>> Privacy, Content, Connection, Programs and Advanced) to a file, that can
>>> then be restored (if needed)?
>>>
>>> Specifically, I'd like to be able to easily revert to my current settings
>>> if I make changes to my IE7 settings -- and the changes generate

ju.c

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
I Forgot...

RE: "if I have multiple "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" lines
in .reg file, will this be a problem when file is imported? As my
batch just merges those reg files, so I have one line for every reg
file that was created."

I don't know, but you can just open the file in notepad, search and
replace all "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" with nothing.
Paste "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" at the top again
before saving!

ju.c

"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:#mwtp7u1JHA.4416@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> 4) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_4.reg"
>>> 5) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings"
>>> "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_5.reg"
>>> 6) reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\In ternet Explorer" "%UserProfile%\Desktop\IE_6.reg"
>>>
>>> To combine them all into one file just copy everything
>>> below the top line: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>> and paste it at the bottom of the first.
>>>
>>> So, open "IE_1.reg" and scroll down to the bottom. Click
>>> the bottom to place the cursor there, then open "IE_2.reg"
>>> and copy everything below "Windows Registry Editor Version
>>> 5.00". Paste it onto the bottom of "IE_1.reg". Repeat for
>>> the rest. Afterward you'll have your IE settings bached up.

ju.c

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
Here it is again, but now it opens the file in Notepad so
you can remove the extra lines of:
[...]

echo.
echo Backup complete. Press any key to close this command window and open the file in Notepad.
pause>nul
start "IEBackup_%DATE%_complete" notepad.exe "%path%\IEBackup_%DATE%_complete.reg"
cls
exit

----------copy-inside-only----------

ju.c

"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:OInGAQv1JHA.6056@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> like them to be backed up.
>>> I made a batch file that creates a directory on another partition (D:\IEbackup), exports all 6 files, joines them in one, and
>>> deletes the 6 files leaving just the single "all-in-one" registry file. I even added date in case you want to export these
>>> setting all the time without thinking about labeling them after export
>>> For my own use, I'll probably add a copy for ad-blocker and IE7Pro config files, but let's skip that here for other people that
>>> probably don't use them..
>>>
>>> So here we go:
>>> - just open notepad, and copy/pasted my batch script which I pasted below; like ju.c said, make sure that "reg.exe
>>> export.....reg"" lines aren't wrapped, they have to be in one line each (in case that my news reader posts differently)

>>> CD ..
>>> CD ..
>>> CD ..
>>> D:
>>> CD ..
>>> CD ..
>>> CD ..
>>> CD ..
>>> mkdir IEbackup
>>> CD IEbackup
>>> reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" "D:\IEbackup\IE_1.reg"
>>> reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings" "D:\IEbackup\IE_2.reg"
>>> reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer" "D:\IEbackup\IE_3.reg"
>>> reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer" "D:\IEbackup\IE_4.reg"
>>> reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings" "D:\IEbackup\IE_5.reg"
>>> reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\In ternet Explorer" "D:\IEbackup\IE_6.reg"
>>> copy *.reg "IEBackup_%DATE%_complete.reg"
>>> del IE_*.reg
>>>
>>> ---end copy before this line---
>>>
>>> Save that file as "ie_export.bat" anywhere on your disk. To save data in different folder or on another partition you'll have to
>>> edit a little ofcourse.. And sorry for multiple "CD .." lines, had to do it so batch file runs fine from Desktop or My
>>> Documents.. I'm not much into DOS and bat files, probably a better way exists
>>>
>>> So once batch file is saved, you can just run it any time you want to backup your registry. It should work nice and fine, and
>>> will just add the reg files labeled with dates to that same backup folder.
>>>
>>> I've got one question and one problem though. First easy one - if I have multiple "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" lines
>>> in .reg file, will this be a problem when file is imported? As my batch just merges those reg files, so I have one line for
>>> every reg file that was created... :/
>>>
>>> And a problem is - I get error that both "Policies" keys are not found:
>>> "ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value."
>>> Windows 7+IE8 here, so I guess it's in some other place, or ju.c missed a letter, not sure. But anyway, if these are Group
>>> Policies for IE, and I don't use them, neither home or at work (and where I do, I certainly don't want "empty" policies from
>>> home to overwrite any at work if I'm transfering settings between computers). So should I just ditch those two reg keys/export
>>> steps? Anything important in them for user settings?
>>>
>>> Thanks again, and I hope my batch file will make it easier for others a bit, unless I've complicated it even more
>>>
>>> Luka

>>> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4080 (20090515) __________

>>> http://www.eset.com

ju.c

Re: Save IE7 Settings To a File ???
Question: "Is there a way to save my customized Internet Explorer
settings (General, Security, Privacy, Content, Connection, Programs
and Advanced) to a file, that can then be later restored? Specifically,
I'd like to be able to easily revert to my current settings if I make
changes to my IE7 settings, and the changes generate unexpected
results."

There sure is!

Here are two batch files, each with a slight difference, that will
export Internet Explorer's registry settings to a folder that you
specify. After it runs, the registry file will be opened in Notepad
so you can search and replace the multiple instances of,
"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

1. Copy the top one then open 'Edit-->Replace'

2. Paste it into the top line leaving the bottom one empty. Leave
"Match case" un-checked, then click "Replace All".

3. Paste it back to the very top then save. Done.

----------copy-inside-only----------
@echo off

:: Use this batch file when you want to
:: enter the path each time you run it.

echo Enter the path to the Internet Explorer backup folder.
echo If the folder does not exist, it will be created.
echo.
echo Do not include a backslash (\) at the path end, and
echo don't include any quotes. For example, you could enter:
echo.
echo J:\IE Backups
echo.

set /p path=%1
if not exist "%path%" (mkdir "%path%")

%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" "%path%\IE_1.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings" "%path%\IE_2.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer" "%path%\IE_3.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer" "%path%\IE_4.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings" "%path%\IE_5.reg"
%WinDir%\system32\reg.exe export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\In ternet Explorer" "%path%\IE_6.reg"
echo.

copy "%path%\*.reg" "%path%\IE_Settings_%DATE%.reg"
del "%path%\IE_*.reg"
echo.

echo Backup complete. Press any key to close this command window and open the file in Notepad.
pause>nul

start "IE_Settings_%DATE%" notepad.exe "%path%\IE_Settings_%DATE%.reg"
cls
exit

----------copy-inside-only----------

----------copy-inside-only----------
@echo off

:: Use this batch file when you don't want
:: to enter the path each time you run it.

:: To change the path just replace "J:\IE Backups"
:: Do not include a backslash (\) at the end, and don't
:: include any quotes. For example, you could enter:
:: J:\IE Backups

set path=J:\IE Backups
if not exist "%path%" (mkdir "%path%")