internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpag

sandy j

internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpag
hi,
i hope i'm in the correct place to post this question.
i'm using a custom built pc, w/ a newly installed windows xp pro x64 os,
connect to the internet via dsl, 3 hard drives ( 'c' and 'f' raid drives),
2500 gb memory, cd and cd/dvd burner. the os, drivers, sp 1 and sp 2 were
installed when the computer was taken into a local repair shop when it died a
couple of months ago.
i've been trying to get the computer back to a familiar state. there are
several thing i need to fix/change/correct, but right now i'm focusing on
internet explorer because some of fixes access/link the internet via internet
explorer.
when i try to access internet explorer i get the following error message
page 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'. i've tried the fixes up
to and including running 'fix it' software on one of the troubleshooting
steps . i then tried to access internet explorer with no success.
i use aol as my isp, and that's how i've been able to get on line... this
may sound like a d.a. question but i'll asking it anyway. can i go into
control panel / add remove / and uninstall internet
explorer and reinstall it? is it possible it will then work? if not, do you
have another solution?
i'd greatly appreaciate any easy to understand, detailed instructions.

thanks in advance

--
sandy j

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpag
How/in what way did the machine "die a couple of months ago"?

Uninstalling/reinstalling IE7 isn't going to fix this.

Did the repair shop replace your previous HDD(s) or did they *format* and
reinstall Windows on your existing boot drive? Did the shop use your WinXP
CD (or, possibly, the hidden Recovery partition) to install Windows? Any
particular reason the shop didn't install (WinXP) SP3?

Who installed IE7, you or the shop?

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
(assuming C: is the boot drive) | Select Properties | Version (tab): What
version is displayed here?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

sandy j wrote:
> i hope i'm in the correct place to post this question.
> i'm using a custom built pc, w/ a newly installed windows xp pro x64 os,
> connect to the internet via dsl, 3 hard drives ( 'c' and 'f' raid drives),
> 2500 gb memory, cd and cd/dvd burner. the os, drivers, sp 1 and sp 2 were
> installed when the computer was taken into a local repair shop when it
> died a couple of months ago.
> i've been trying to get the computer back to a familiar state. there are
> several thing i need to fix/change/correct, but right now i'm focusing on
> internet explorer because some of fixes access/link the internet via
> internet explorer.
> when i try to access internet explorer i get the following error message
> page 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'. i've tried the fixes
> up
> to and including running 'fix it' software on one of the troubleshooting
> steps . i then tried to access internet explorer with no success.
> i use aol as my isp, and that's how i've been able to get on line... this
> may sound like a d.a. question but i'll asking it anyway. can i go into
> control panel / add remove / and uninstall internet
> explorer and reinstall it? is it possible it will then work? if not, do
> you
> have another solution?
> i'd greatly appreaciate any easy to understand, detailed instructions.
>
> thanks in advance

sandy j

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
Robear,
Thanks for your quick response.
i was told i had a virus, malware and spyware. prior to the trip to the
repair shop, i couldn't access the desktop, the computer was in a looping
reboot cycle. i was told the hard drive was formatted and the new operating
system was installed (windows xp pro 32 bit was previously installed, but i
don't have the os disc (i purchased the computer from an acquaintance) so i
purchased a new os disc. the new os was installed at the repair shop along
with the x64 drivers and internet explorer. after checking the microsoft
available downloads i didn't see that a sp3 was available for xp x64 and i
assumed the shop was under the same impression. automatic updates is enabled.
prior to the virus (?) i was using aol supplied mcafee, ad-aware and spybot.
i'm now using avast anti virus (supplied by the repair shop), ad-aware,
spybot, microsoft defender, microsoft malicious software removal tool
(kb890830 x64-v2.9), and microsoft's firewall.
i think i've answered all your questions but please advised if there's
anything i missed or additional you need.
again, thanks for your time
--
sandy j

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How/in what way did the machine "die a couple of months ago"?
>
> Uninstalling/reinstalling IE7 isn't going to fix this.
>
> Did the repair shop replace your previous HDD(s) or did they *format* and
> reinstall Windows on your existing boot drive? Did the shop use your WinXP
> CD (or, possibly, the hidden Recovery partition) to install Windows? Any
> particular reason the shop didn't install (WinXP) SP3?
>
> Who installed IE7, you or the shop?
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
> (assuming C: is the boot drive) | Select Properties | Version (tab): What
> version is displayed here?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> sandy j wrote:
> > i hope i'm in the correct place to post this question.
> > i'm using a custom built pc, w/ a newly installed windows xp pro x64 os,
> > connect to the internet via dsl, 3 hard drives ( 'c' and 'f' raid drives),
> > 2500 gb memory, cd and cd/dvd burner. the os, drivers, sp 1 and sp 2 were
> > installed when the computer was taken into a local repair shop when it
> > died a couple of months ago.
> > i've been trying to get the computer back to a familiar state. there are
> > several thing i need to fix/change/correct, but right now i'm focusing on
> > internet explorer because some of fixes access/link the internet via
> > internet explorer.
> > when i try to access internet explorer i get the following error message
> > page 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'. i've tried the fixes
> > up
> > to and including running 'fix it' software on one of the troubleshooting
> > steps . i then tried to access internet explorer with no success.
> > i use aol as my isp, and that's how i've been able to get on line... this
> > may sound like a d.a. question but i'll asking it anyway. can i go into
> > control panel / add remove / and uninstall internet
> > explorer and reinstall it? is it possible it will then work? if not, do
> > you
> > have another solution?
> > i'd greatly appreaciate any easy to understand, detailed instructions.
> >
> > thanks in advance

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
Had you stated it was a WinXP 64-bit machine, I wouldn't have asked about
SP3. <wink>

Repost:

--
~PA Bear

sandy j wrote:
> [...]
>>> page 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'. i've tried the
>>> fixes
>>> up
>>> to and including running 'fix it' software on one of the troubleshooting
>>> steps . i then tried to access internet explorer with no success.
>>> i use aol as my isp, and that's how i've been able to get on line...
>>> this
>>> may sound like a d.a. question but i'll asking it anyway. can i go into
>>> control panel / add remove / and uninstall internet
>>> explorer and reinstall it? is it possible it will then work? if not, do
>>> you
>>> have another solution?
>>> i'd greatly appreaciate any easy to understand, detailed instructions.
>>>
>>> thanks in advance

sandy j

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
sorry, i thought i mentioned which os was installed in my original post.
also, sorry, i omitted the ie information you requested. ie ver.
7.0.6000.16827, installed at the repair shop, and automatic updates are
enabled.
thanks
--
sandy j

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> particular reason the shop didn't install (WinXP) SP3?
> >>
> >> Who installed IE7, you or the shop?
> >>
> >> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
> >>
> >> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
> >> file
> >> (assuming C: is the boot drive) | Select Properties | Version (tab): What
> >> version is displayed here?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
The good news is that the machine appears to be fully patched, at least as
of 14 April 2009. The bad news is that the behavior /could/ be caused by
hijackware.

Start here:

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
[ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

If no joy...

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
--
~PA Bear

sandy j wrote:
> sorry, i thought i mentioned which os was installed in my original post.
> also, sorry, i omitted the ie information you requested. ie ver.
> 7.0.6000.16827, installed at the repair shop, and automatic updates are
> enabled.
> thanks
>
>> Had you stated it was a WinXP 64-bit machine, I wouldn't have asked about
>> SP3. <wink>
>>
>> Repost:

>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> sandy j wrote:
>>> Robear,
>>> Thanks for your quick response.
>>> i was told i had a virus, malware and spyware. prior to the trip to the
>>> repair shop, i couldn't access the desktop, the computer was in a
>>> looping
>>> reboot cycle. i was told the hard drive was formatted and the new
>>> operating
>>> system was installed (windows xp pro 32 bit was previously installed,
>>> but
>>> don't have the os disc (i purchased the computer from an acquaintance)
>>> so
>>> purchased a new os disc. the new os was installed at the repair shop
>>> along
>>> with the x64 drivers and internet explorer. after checking the
>>> microsoft
>>> available downloads i didn't see that a sp3 was available for xp x64 and
>>> assumed the shop was under the same impression. automatic updates is
>>> enabled. prior to the virus (?) i was using aol supplied mcafee,
>>> ad-aware
>>> and spybot. i'm now using avast anti virus (supplied by the repair
>>> shop),
>>> ad-aware, spybot, microsoft defender, microsoft malicious software
>>> removal
>>> tool (kb890830 x64-v2.9), and microsoft's firewall.
>>> i think i've answered all your questions but please advised if there's
>>> anything i missed or additional you need.
>>> again, thanks for your time

sandy j

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
Hi PA Bear,
thanks for your reply. i had tried all the (troubleshooting) fixes prior to
posting my question but tried them again just in case i missed something. i
still have the same result/error message (internet explorer cannot display
the webpage).
is there anything else i can try or do (outside of blowing this thing up)?
is there any other information i can provide that might give a clue as to
what the problem is?
thanks
--
sandy j

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> The good news is that the machine appears to be fully patched, at least as
> of 14 April 2009. The bad news is that the behavior /could/ be caused by
> hijackware.
>
> Start here:
>
> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>
> If no joy...
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> sandy j wrote:
> > sorry, i thought i mentioned which os was installed in my original post.
> > also, sorry, i omitted the ie information you requested. ie ver.
> > 7.0.6000.16827, installed at the repair shop, and automatic updates are
> > enabled.
> > thanks
> >
> >> Had you stated it was a WinXP 64-bit machine, I wouldn't have asked about
> >> SP3. <wink>
> >>
> >> Repost:

> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
Assuming this is a sudden, new problem (and you've tested #1 thru #3 in my
previous reply)...

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a [different <wink>] local,
reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop..

sandy j wrote:
> Hi PA Bear,
> thanks for your reply. i had tried all the (troubleshooting) fixes prior
> posting my question but tried them again just in case i missed something.
> still have the same result/error message (internet explorer cannot display
> the webpage).
> is there anything else i can try or do (outside of blowing this thing up)?
> is there any other information i can provide that might give a clue as to
> what the problem is?
> thanks
>
>> The good news is that the machine appears to be fully patched, at least
>> as
>> of 14 April 2009. The bad news is that the behavior /could/ be caused by
>> hijackware.
>>
>> Start here:
>>
>> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
>> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>>
>> If no joy...
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> sandy j wrote:
>>> sorry, i thought i mentioned which os was installed in my original post.
>>> also, sorry, i omitted the ie information you requested. ie ver.
>>> 7.0.6000.16827, installed at the repair shop, and automatic updates are
>>> enabled.
>>> thanks

sandy j

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
Thanks PA Bear,

i guess you know, this isn't the response i was looking for. i will follow
the instructions in the links you provided, and hope for the best.
i really don't get why i'm getting these viruses/spyware/malware. i don't
open e-mail from people or addresses i don't know, i run ms defender and/or
ad aware or spybot every day i use the computer, i have the advast anti virus
that updates and i scan daily, i just ran ms malicious software removal tool
over the weekend and nothing was found. ad aware and spybot are the only
scans that found anything. when i had to download updates, i've put them in
a separate file and virus scanned the download file.
just so you know, i don't think internet explorer has worked since i got the
computer back. i remember trying to link to the company i got my external
harddrive enclosure from for their tutorial and getting the error message.
at the time i thought it was just their site, and went about doing other
things.
i'll let you know how i make out.

thanks again, for your help
--
sandy j

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >>
> >> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the we
YW & keep us posted on your progress, please.