Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites

[x-post to IE General]

1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility Mode?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
(Just asking, for now)

Erwin Reijgers wrote:
> Just up graded to IE8 on a Vista SP1 platform.
> Now IE won't open secure sites like online banking and web mail, basically
> any URL staring with https, all other sites are fine. I get a pretty much
> blank page stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I've
> tried several things like clearing the tracking cookies and browsing
> history. Also, I made sure I had the SSL and TLS boxes checked, in the
> advanced tab of Internet Options. These sites where available using IE7.
> It's probably a simple check box somewhere but I'll be damed if I can
> find
> it.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
In addition:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/968089/en-us
"You cannot view a secure Web site in Internet Explorer 8"

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [x-post to IE General]
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility
> Mode?
> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?
>
> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
> IE8? (Just asking, for now)
>
> Erwin Reijgers wrote:
>> Just up graded to IE8 on a Vista SP1 platform.
>> Now IE won't open secure sites like online banking and web mail,
>> basically any URL staring with https, all other sites are fine. I get a
>> pretty much a
>> blank page stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I've
>> tried several things like clearing the tracking cookies and browsing
>> history. Also, I made sure I had the SSL and TLS boxes checked, in the
>> advanced tab of Internet Options. These sites where available using IE7.
>> It's probably a simple check box somewhere but I'll be damed if I can
>> find
>> it.

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
And...

You cannot log in to or connect to secured Web sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
> In addition:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/968089/en-us
> "You cannot view a secure Web site in Internet Explorer 8"
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> [x-post to IE General]
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility
>> Mode?
>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>
>> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed IE8?
>>
>> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> machine
>>
>> 6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
>> IE8? (Just asking, for now)
>>
>> Erwin Reijgers wrote:
>>> Just up graded to IE8 on a Vista SP1 platform.
>>> Now IE won't open secure sites like online banking and web mail,
>>> basically any URL staring with https, all other sites are fine. I get a
>>> pretty much a
>>> blank page stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I've
>>> tried several things like clearing the tracking cookies and browsing
>>> history. Also, I made sure I had the SSL and TLS boxes checked, in the
>>> advanced tab of Internet Options. These sites where available using IE7.
>>> It's probably a simple check box somewhere but I'll be damed if I can
>>> find
>>> it.

Erwin Reijgers

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
Thanks for your input. The behavior seems to be related to the User Account
Control feature in Vista and not to IE8. I don't know why this started
happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature, which does work.
Disabling the UAC it is not so scary since I'm the only one on this
computer. Just kind of annoying that I have to look the security warning in
the tray.

> [x-post to IE General]
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility
> Mode?
>
> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?
>
> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
> IE8? (Just asking, for now)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Erwin Reijgers wrote:
>> Just up graded to IE8 on a Vista SP1 platform.
>> Now IE won't open secure sites like online banking and web mail,
>> basically
>> any URL staring with https, all other sites are fine. I get a pretty much
>> blank page stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I've
>> tried several things like clearing the tracking cookies and browsing
>> history. Also, I made sure I had the SSL and TLS boxes checked, in the
>> advanced tab of Internet Options. These sites where available using IE7.
>> It's probably a simple check box somewhere but I'll be damed if I can
>> find
>> it.

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
I would NOT find it acceptable to disable UAC (and Protected Mode) to be
able to access https:// websites!

> ...I don't know why this started
> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature...

Perhaps if you'd answer my questions, I could help you?

You cannot view a secure Web site in Internet Explorer 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968089

Erwin Reijgers wrote:
> Thanks for your input. The behavior seems to be related to the User
> Account
> Control feature in Vista and not to IE8. I don't know why this started
> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature, which does
> work.
> Disabling the UAC it is not so scary since I'm the only one on this
> computer. Just kind of annoying that I have to look the security warning
> in
> the tray.

>> [x-post to IE General]
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility
>> Mode?
>>
>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>
>> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed IE8?
>>
>> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> machine
>>
>> 6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
>> IE8? (Just asking, for now)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Erwin Reijgers wrote:
>>> Just up graded to IE8 on a Vista SP1 platform.
>>> Now IE won't open secure sites like online banking and web mail,
>>> basically
>>> any URL staring with https, all other sites are fine. I get a pretty
>>> much
>>> blank page stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I've
>>> tried several things like clearing the tracking cookies and browsing
>>> history. Also, I made sure I had the SSL and TLS boxes checked, in the
>>> advanced tab of Internet Options. These sites where available using IE7.
>>> It's probably a simple check box somewhere but I'll be damed if I can
>>> find
>>> it.

StockStar

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
I had the same problem with IE8 not properly loading a secure pge on a
shopping site but I just made a quick settings change in Spybot tonight and
all seems to be working fine now. This is what I changed:

Close IE8
Launch Spybot
On the left pane, click on Tools
Then click on Resident
Then in the main body, uncheck the tick box that says Resident "SDHelper"
That's it. When I restarted IE8, the secure loaded fine.

"Erwin Reijgers" wrote:

> Thanks for your input. The behavior seems to be related to the User Account
> Control feature in Vista and not to IE8. I don't know why this started
> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature, which does work.
> Disabling the UAC it is not so scary since I'm the only one on this
> computer. Just kind of annoying that I have to look the security warning in
> the tray.

> > [x-post to IE General]
> >
> > 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility
> > Mode?
> >
> > 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> > IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >
> > => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> > Add-ons; or
> >
> > => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> > Explorer (No add-ons).
> >
> > Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >
> > 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >
> > 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> > [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >
> > 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> > subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> > applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> > Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> > installed IE8?
> >
> > 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >
> > 6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
> > IE8? (Just asking, for now)
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >

> > Erwin Reijgers wrote:
> >> Just up graded to IE8 on a Vista SP1 platform.
> >> Now IE won't open secure sites like online banking and web mail,
> >> basically
> >> any URL staring with https, all other sites are fine. I get a pretty much
> >> blank page stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I've
> >> tried several things like clearing the tracking cookies and browsing
> >> history. Also, I made sure I had the SSL and TLS boxes checked, in the
> >> advanced tab of Internet Options. These sites where available using IE7.
> >> It's probably a simple check box somewhere but I'll be damed if I can
> >> find
> >> it.

Erwin Reijgers

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
PA Bear here are some answers to your questions. Just so you know I reverted
back to IE7 and I am experiencing a similar result.

Answers:
1. The problem persists in compatibility mode.
2.The problem persists when I have no add-ons loaded.
3. Haven't tried it yet.
4.Should I try this with UAC turned on?
5. I'm using Avast, no other third party software. Avast was running when I
upgraded. Norton has never been installed on this computer. Disabling Avast
and the firewall have no results.
6. There is a restore point available, but I rather not go there since I
installed a bunch of software after I upgraded.

In all honesty I'm not sure if the secure website thing ever worked in Vista
since I recently, just this Sunday, upgraded from windows XP. When I said
these sites were available using IE7 I was running XP.

>I would NOT find it acceptable to disable UAC (and Protected Mode) to be
>able to access https:// websites!
>
>> ...I don't know why this started
>> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature...

> Perhaps if you'd answer my questions, I could help you?
>
> You cannot view a secure Web site in Internet Explorer 8:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968089
>
> Erwin Reijgers wrote:
>> Thanks for your input. The behavior seems to be related to the User
>> Account
>> Control feature in Vista and not to IE8. I don't know why this started
>> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature, which does
>> work.
>> Disabling the UAC it is not so scary since I'm the only one on this
>> computer. Just kind of annoying that I have to look the security warning
>> in
>> the tray.

>>> [x-post to IE General]
>>>
>>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility
>>> Mode?
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>>> start
>>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>>>
>>> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>>
>>> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed IE8?
>>>
>>> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>>
>>> 6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
>>> IE8? (Just asking, for now)
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Erwin Reijgers

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
I'm not running Spybot. Thanks for the suggestion though.

"StockStar" <StockStar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had the same problem with IE8 not properly loading a secure pge on a
> shopping site but I just made a quick settings change in Spybot tonight
> and
> all seems to be working fine now. This is what I changed:
>
> Close IE8
> Launch Spybot
> On the left pane, click on Tools
> Then click on Resident
> Then in the main body, uncheck the tick box that says Resident "SDHelper"
> That's it. When I restarted IE8, the secure loaded fine.
>

> "Erwin Reijgers" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your input. The behavior seems to be related to the User
>> Account
>> Control feature in Vista and not to IE8. I don't know why this started
>> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature, which does
>> work.
>> Disabling the UAC it is not so scary since I'm the only one on this
>> computer. Just kind of annoying that I have to look the security warning
>> in
>> the tray.

>> > [x-post to IE General]
>> >
>> > 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the pages in Compatibility
>> > Mode?
>> >
>> > 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> > start
>> > IE in No Add-ons mode:
>> >
>> > => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> > Add-ons; or
>> >
>> > => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>> > Explorer (No add-ons).
>> >
>> > Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>> >
>> > 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>> >
>> > 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with
>> > Networking?
>> > [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>> >
>> > 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> > subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> > applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if
>> > any)?
>> > Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> > installed IE8?
>> >
>> > 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> > machine
>> > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>> >
>> > 6. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
>> > IE8? (Just asking, for now)
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Erwin Reijgers

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
Small update

answers
3. Reseting IE has no effect on the problem, secure sites are still blocked
with UAC turned on
4. Turned UAC back on and I'm able to get on secure sites in safe mode.

I know that running with UAC turned off is less secure, however I need to
get to my email and online banking.
BTW I am able to get to secure sites with Proctected Mode switched on as
long as UAC is switched off.

"Erwin Reijgers" <reijgers@yahoo.com> wrote in message
newsKsMl.8589$CN5.8308@newsfe23.iad...
> PA Bear here are some answers to your questions. Just so you know I
> reverted
> back to IE7 and I am experiencing a similar result.
>
> Answers:
> 1. The problem persists in compatibility mode.
> 2.The problem persists when I have no add-ons loaded.
> 3. Haven't tried it yet.
> 4.Should I try this with UAC turned on?
> 5. I'm using Avast, no other third party software. Avast was running when
> upgraded. Norton has never been installed on this computer. Disabling
> Avast
> and the firewall have no results.
> 6. There is a restore point available, but I rather not go there since I
> installed a bunch of software after I upgraded.
>
> In all honesty I'm not sure if the secure website thing ever worked in
> Vista
> since I recently, just this Sunday, upgraded from windows XP. When I said
> these sites were available using IE7 I was running XP.

>>I would NOT find it acceptable to disable UAC (and Protected Mode) to be
>>able to access https:// websites!
>>
>>> ...I don't know why this started
>>> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature...

>> Perhaps if you'd answer my questions, I could help you?
>>
>> You cannot view a secure Web site in Internet Explorer 8:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968089
>>
>> Erwin Reijgers wrote:
>>> Thanks for your input. The behavior seems to be related to the User
>>> Account
>>> Control feature in Vista and not to IE8. I don't know why this started
>>> happening nor how to fix it short of disabling the feature, which does
>>> work.
>>> Disabling the UAC it is not so scary since I'm the only one on this
>>> computer. Just kind of annoying that I have to look the security warning
>>> in
>>> the tray.

Re: IE8 can't access secure web sites
>> In all honesty I'm not sure if the secure website thing ever worked in
>> Vista
>> since I recently, just this Sunday, upgraded from windows XP. When I said
>> these sites were available using IE7 I was running XP.

Ah! So you're new to Vista, I see. (If you're using the Windows Firewall,
not a third-party firewall you installed, you should only disable the
firewall very briefly; i.e., just long enough to test something.)

Tell me a few things:

1. Was Avast running in the background when you upgraded from WinXP to
Vista? ...when you uninstall IE8?

2. Did you purchase and use a retail Vista Upgrade CD to install Vista or
did you format the WinXP machine and then install a full retail version of
Vista? You're not multi-booting, are you (i.e., WinXP installed on one
partition & Vista installed on another)?

3. Are you running Vista SP1, is Automatic Updates enabled, can you run
Windows Update manually (which is NOT done the same way you did it in
WinXP), and is the machine currently fully-patched?

4. How well do you understand User Account Control (UAC) and IE Protected
Mode (PMIE) in Vista?

5. Are you absolutely certain that a Norton or McAfee free-trial was NOT
preinstalled on the WinXP machine when you purchased it?