No customized explorer icons after IE8 installation

NewConnector

No customized explorer icons after IE8 installation
Using programs like IconTweaker, iconPhile, Y'z Toolbar and many others I've
always been able to change the default folder and drive icons (and many
others) in the Windows explorer. This worked fine until the installation of
IE8.

Now I get these custom folder/drive icons ONLY if I open the explorer by
double clicking the "My computer" icon on the desktop or pressing the Windows
+ E key combination. I do NOT get them (but the default icons) if I open the
explorer by clicking on the explorer icon in the Quick Launch toolbar,
pressing the "My Documents" key on my Microsoft keyboard, or typing
"explorer" in the run dialog box...

I'd really like to see the customized icons in all instances (but via the
Microsoft keyboard would be a good start since I use that option most
frequently).

How to achieve this?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: No customized explorer icons after IE8 installation

"NewConnector" <NewConnector@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F58C339E-0A3F-4619-AB1E-4BD214B35976@microsoft.com...
> Using programs like IconTweaker, iconPhile, Y'z Toolbar and many others I've
> always been able to change the default folder and drive icons (and many
> others) in the Windows explorer. This worked fine until the installation of
> IE8.
>
> Now I get these custom folder/drive icons ONLY if I open the explorer by
> double clicking the "My computer" icon on the desktop or pressing the Windows
> + E key combination. I do NOT get them (but the default icons) if I open the
> explorer by clicking on the explorer icon in the Quick Launch toolbar,
> pressing the "My Documents" key on my Microsoft keyboard, or typing
> "explorer" in the run dialog box...
>
> I'd really like to see the customized icons in all instances (but via the
> Microsoft keyboard would be a good start since I use that option most
> frequently).
>
> How to achieve this?

Please don't refer to IE as "explorer", especially in this instance. ; )

The de-integration of WE and IE, started in IE7, continues in IE8.
I think that what you are observing is a symptom of that.

However, if you really do mean WE when you refer to "explorer"
you should be asking in a newsgroup which specializes in your OS
instead of here.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

NewConnector

Re: No customized explorer icons after IE8 installation
> Please don't refer to IE as "explorer", especially in this instance. ; )

Sorry about the confusion this might have caused: wrong (=default,
non-customized) icons are displayed in WE.

> The de-integration of WE and IE, started in IE7, continues in IE8.
> I think that what you are observing is a symptom of that.
>
> However, if you really do mean WE when you refer to "explorer"
> you should be asking in a newsgroup which specializes in your OS
> instead of here.

But the problem started when I installed IE8!

WE looked fine (=customized) when running IE7, so there must be something
IE8-related causing this...

Is any of the tech people willing to submit a bug-report so that Microsoft
can/will look at it?

(I believe I can only view those reports, not create one)