Can't launch IE7 or IE8

Richard G

Can't launch IE7 or IE8
Hi - I recently accepted the IE 8 update on all 3 machines we use at home. 2
of them worked with no problem at all, but my laptop will now not open IE at
all. (Dell Latitude D830 running XP Pro and running the same firewall and
anti-virus as the other machines).
I have tried various things (System Restore, uninstall IE8, reinstall IE 7),
but the only version which will now work is IE 6. If I attempt to use
MSUpdate to reinstall 7, it seems to install OK, but when it launches it
becomes visible for a few seconds then shuts down. Same if I download IE7
from the download page then launch it.

Have tried disabling all add-ons but that doesn't help either.

I also noticed that in the Control Panel, the Internet Options icon no
longer has "Internet Options" written below it.

I'd be grateful for some help - trhanks.

--
Richard G

Re: Can't launch IE7 or IE8
What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
and/or uninstalled IE8?

See this recent, related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ee8aad260ac794

Richard G wrote:
> Hi - I recently accepted the IE 8 update on all 3 machines we use at home.
> 2
> of them worked with no problem at all, but my laptop will now not open IE
> at
> all. (Dell Latitude D830 running XP Pro and running the same firewall and
> anti-virus as the other machines).
> I have tried various things (System Restore, uninstall IE8, reinstall IE
> 7),
> but the only version which will now work is IE 6. If I attempt to use
> MSUpdate to reinstall 7, it seems to install OK, but when it launches it
> becomes visible for a few seconds then shuts down. Same if I download IE7
> from the download page then launch it.
>
> Have tried disabling all add-ons but that doesn't help either.
>
> I also noticed that in the Control Panel, the Internet Options icon no
> longer has "Internet Options" written below it.
>
> I'd be grateful for some help - trhanks.

Richard G

Re: Can't launch IE7 or IE8
Hi PA Bear

Thanks for responding and for the link to other related discussion. I've
read it - similar but different sequence of events, but like Joe1 I can't
recall the full sequence of events. Here is the summary:

System Mechanic Pro v8.5.5 (AntiVirus and Firewall) was running and not
disabled when I installed IE8 as part of the MS Update recommendation. (The
same was true for one of our other machines and it installed and works with
no problem). No anti-spyware was running. Neither Norton nor McAfee has been
installed since I did a format/reinstall about 6 months ago.

When IE8 wouldn't launch, I tried uninstalling it, then reinstalling it.
The went back to a pre-IE8 System Restore point. Still no joy,
Did a Windows reinstall (NOT using the recovery console)
IE6 seemed to work fine
Accepted all MSupdates including SP3 (seemed to jump straight to IE8 without
installing IE7) - still wouldn't launch
Uninstalled IE8 and downloaded and installed IE7 - wouldn't launch
Uninstalled IE7, removed IE as a Windows component, rebooted, accepted IE as
a Windows component
IE6 now running apparently OK

During the above I got some error messages on reboot - sorry, haven't got
the details but I know that one was DrWatson and another Bonjour. I have just
rebooted again and no errors.

Confirmed running IE 6.0.2900.5512, SP3 update

I'd hate to have to format reinstall - is there anyway to avoid?

Thanks

--
Richard G

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> and/or uninstalled IE8?

> See this recent, related discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ee8aad260ac794
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Richard G wrote:
> > Hi - I recently accepted the IE 8 update on all 3 machines we use at home.
> > 2
> > of them worked with no problem at all, but my laptop will now not open IE
> > at
> > all. (Dell Latitude D830 running XP Pro and running the same firewall and
> > anti-virus as the other machines).
> > I have tried various things (System Restore, uninstall IE8, reinstall IE
> > 7),
> > but the only version which will now work is IE 6. If I attempt to use
> > MSUpdate to reinstall 7, it seems to install OK, but when it launches it
> > becomes visible for a few seconds then shuts down. Same if I download IE7
> > from the download page then launch it.
> >
> > Have tried disabling all add-ons but that doesn't help either.
> >
> > I also noticed that in the Control Panel, the Internet Options icon no
> > longer has "Internet Options" written below it.
> >
> > I'd be grateful for some help - trhanks.

Re: Can't launch IE7 or IE8
I need some background info to be able to assist you.

1. What IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) were you
running before you installed IE8?

2. If IE7 and SP3 were installed, which was installed first?

3. After the "Windows reinstall (NOT using the recovery console)," was
System Mechanic Pro running in the background when you installed SP3 and/or
installed/uninstalled IE7 or IE8?

4. Did Windows Update offer and did you install SP3 and IE8 concurrently (at
the same time)?

5. Can you currently access & use and is the machine currently fully-patched
at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

6. And finally, does System Mechanic (not the AV or FW component) run at
boot and/or do you use this utility frequently? If so, it may be the source
of many of your problems. If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned"
or "repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own
conclusions.
--
~PA Bear

Richard G wrote:
> [...]
>>> IE
>>> at
>>> all. (Dell Latitude D830 running XP Pro and running the same firewall
>>> and
>>> anti-virus as the other machines).
>>> I have tried various things (System Restore, uninstall IE8, reinstall IE
>>> 7),
>>> but the only version which will now work is IE 6. If I attempt to use
>>> MSUpdate to reinstall 7, it seems to install OK, but when it launches
>>> it
>>> becomes visible for a few seconds then shuts down. Same if I download
>>> IE7
>>> from the download page then launch it.
>>>
>>> Have tried disabling all add-ons but that doesn't help either.
>>>
>>> I also noticed that in the Control Panel, the Internet Options icon no
>>> longer has "Internet Options" written below it.
>>>
>>> I'd be grateful for some help - trhanks.

Answers as follows

>1. What IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) were you
> running before you installed IE8?

Win XP Pro SP3 - full updates

> 2. If IE7 and SP3 were installed, which was installed first?

Not sure - but i would have accepted the recommended updates in the order
that MSupdate notified me and downloaded/installed using the update service

> 3. After the "Windows reinstall (NOT using the recovery console)," was
> System Mechanic Pro running in the background when you installed SP3 and/or
> installed/uninstalled IE7 or IE8?

Yes

> 4. Did Windows Update offer and did you install SP3 and IE8 concurrently (at
> the same time)?

I can't be 100% sure, but I think SP3 came through as a single update, with
IE following after reboot, then an IE8 security patch after that

> 5. Can you currently access & use and is the machine currently fully-patched
> at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

Yes I can access and use the update service - it shows that IE7 is a high
priority update waiting to be downloaded and that IE8 is a (restorable) high
priority hidden update (given the problems with it, I hid it to make sure I
didn't download & install by meitake.

> 6. And finally, does System Mechanic (not the AV or FW component) run at
> boot and/or do you use this utility frequently? If so, it may be the source
> of many of your problems. If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned"
> or "repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own
> conclusions.

Yes - it runs at boot and also does so on the other machine where IE8
downloaded, installed and works perfectly.

Understand the risks of registry cleaning - I use System Mechanic primarily
as a one-stop anti-virus, firewall, defrag, temp file cleanser, etc

Hope this helps - thanks.

--
Richard G

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > a Windows component
> > IE6 now running apparently OK
> >
> > During the above I got some error messages on reboot - sorry, haven't got
> > the details but I know that one was DrWatson and another Bonjour. I have
> > just rebooted again and no errors.
> >
> > Confirmed running IE 6.0.2900.5512, SP3 update
> >
> > I'd hate to have to format reinstall - is there anyway to avoid?
> >
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> >> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> >> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> >> installed
> >> and/or uninstalled IE8?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

You only gave me partial answer for #1. In any event, either or all of the
following may be responsible for your current issues (listed in order of
probablity):

=> Your continued use of System Mechanic.

Repost:
>> ...If you think your Registry needs to be
>> "cleaned" or "repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and
>> draw your own conclusions.

=> Not having disabled your anti-virus application and third-party firewall
and then enabling the Windows Firewall prior to installing or uninstalling
an IE upgrade or Windows Service Pack.

=> Not having formatted the HDD prior to doing the "Windows reinstall (NOT
using the recovery console)".

If you cannot install IE7 manually (per the following), you're looking at
a(nother) format & clean install:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

Use this Direct Download link, not Windows/Automatic Updates:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

About IE7 (and higher) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

About IE7 (and higher) and Windows XP Service Pack 3

If all is well with IE7 after a few weeks/months, you might consider
installing IE8 per my earlier caveats.

Good luck.