Address Bar Toolbar Search Change after IE8

CadWizard

Address Bar Toolbar Search Change after IE8
I just recently installed IE8 and afterward when I search from the Address
Bar Toolbar on my Windows taskbar it defaults to my ISP's default search page
instead of Live Search which is what I prefer. The new search string appends
'src=IE-Address' to the end and I believe this is the source of the problem,
because if I substitute that with 'src=IE-SearchBox' in the exact same search
string instead, it uses my default Live Search. This is the search string
that the toolbar address bar is sending to the explorer address bar -
'http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=in+fag&Form=IE8SRC&src=IE-Address'
Has any one else experienced this and/or does any one know of a fix for it?
There used to be a setting in XP that allowed you to change this, But I
can't find it on Vista.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Address Bar Toolbar Search Change after IE8

"CadWizard" <CadWizard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93D754EB-988F-42FE-AB64-A30F4DFD932E@microsoft.com...
>I just recently installed IE8 and afterward when I search from the Address
> Bar Toolbar on my Windows taskbar it defaults to my ISP's default search page
> instead of Live Search which is what I prefer.

WYSIWYG. Your ISP is doing a phony successful lookup for the
DNS test that IE does when you enter only 1 word or string
(in case that is a host name and not a search request.)
You can probably find a link on that page which promises to stop
providing that service for you.

You may also be able to do explicit searches from the Address bar,
e.g. by prefixing them with a question mark (?), find, or go
(which have been retained for compatibility with older versions.)

The best solution though is to stop using that obsolete feature
and learn to search with the search bar, e.g. if you want to search
press Ctrl-e and type whatever it is that you would otherwise
have been typing in the Address bar.

> The new search string appends
> 'src=IE-Address' to the end and I believe this is the source of the problem,
> because if I substitute that with 'src=IE-SearchBox' in the exact same search
> string instead, it uses my default Live Search. This is the search string
> that the toolbar address bar is sending to the explorer address bar -
> 'http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=in+fag&Form=IE8SRC&src=IE-Address'
> Has any one else experienced this and/or does any one know of a fix for it?

> There used to be a setting in XP that allowed you to change this, But I
> can't find it on Vista.

Your symptom really less to do with IE or your OS and more to do with your ISP's "feechur". ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

CadWizard

Re: Address Bar Toolbar Search Change after IE8
Thank you for your advice Robert, I in fact do use the search bar when my
explorer is open.
This happens when I use the Address Bar Toolbar that is located on my
Windows taskbar. I use this often when I don't have an explorer window open.
When you start typing in this Address Bar, it displays a popup listing not
only matches to what your typing but a 'Search' option, that when clicked
sends a formated search string based on your default search provider to a new
instance of the internet explorer. You can see this formatted search string
in the explorer address bar as it is loading. Five minutes before I installed
IE8 this feature worked perfectly. I typed a word, clicked 'Search' an
explorer window opened and loaded the Live Search results in the window.
After I rebooted my PC after IE8 installation it did not work any longer. The
search string format has changed from something like this,
'http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=us+postal+service&FORM=LIVSOP'
to this,
'http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=us+postal+service&Form=IE8SRC&src=I E-Address'
When I enter this search string manually into ANY address bar, it opens up
my ISP's default search page instead of the
'http://search.live.com/results.aspx' as specified in the search string. If I
however change the last 'src=' statement with 'IE-SearchBox' and enter that
into ANY address bar it displays the results from Live Search.

I really like this feature and have been using it for years, since I am not
a fan of Yahoo! Search, I'll just uninstall IE8 and use a restore point to
get it back. I should have known it was folly to believe that Microsoft was
actually going to listen to our 'Feedback'.

"CadWizard" <CadWizard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93965460-0ADF-4BFE-95CE-6CAB433EF798@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your advice Robert, I in fact do use the search bar when my
> explorer is open.

> This happens when I use the Address Bar Toolbar that is located on my
> Windows taskbar. I use this often when I don't have an explorer window open.
> When you start typing in this Address Bar, it displays a popup listing not
> only matches to what your typing but a 'Search' option, that when clicked
> sends a formated search string based on your default search provider to a new
> instance of the internet explorer.

I wouldn't have expected that search to include an Internet search.
But did you try using the ? prefix?

> You can see this formatted search string
> in the explorer address bar as it is loading. Five minutes before I installed
> IE8 this feature worked perfectly. I typed a word, clicked 'Search' an
> explorer window opened and loaded the Live Search results in the window.

Please distinguish whether you mean IE or WE when you use the word "explorer",
especially in this context. It is unnecessarily confusing. E.g. in first case
you are referring to an Address bar in your Taskbar, that would be using explorer.exe
In this next example, you are referring to an IE window which has launched a URL.

> After I rebooted my PC after IE8 installation it did not work any longer. The
> search string format has changed from something like this,
> 'http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=us+postal+service&FORM=LIVSOP'
> to this,
> 'http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=us+postal+service&Form=IE8SRC&src=I E-Address'
> When I enter this search string manually into ANY address bar, it opens up
> my ISP's default search page instead of the
> 'http://search.live.com/results.aspx' as specified in the search string. If I
> however change the last 'src=' statement with 'IE-SearchBox' and enter that
> into ANY address bar it displays the results from Live Search.

Interesting. But again, have you tried using the ? to explicitly indicate
that you want a search with your preferred provider to be done?
If not, it could be that there is just enough difference in timing between
the two requests that your ISP's feature takes over.

BTW another way to ensure that you get an Internet search done,
would be to install Windows Search and use its Deskbar feature.
E.g. try using that instead of the Address bar.

Also, do you have a sample of your ISP's page? Need any help looking
for a link which requests that they not do that? It's usually in the fine
print at the bottom. ; )

> I really like this feature and have been using it for years, since I am not
> a fan of Yahoo! Search, I'll just uninstall IE8 and use a restore point to
> get it back. I should have known it was folly to believe that Microsoft was
> actually going to listen to our 'Feedback'.

They need to ensure there is a clear delineation between the browser
and the OS, for various reasons.

Good luck

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "CadWizard" <CadWizard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93D754EB-988F-42FE-AB64-A30F4DFD932E@microsoft.com...
>> >I just recently installed IE8 and afterward when I search from the Address
>> > Bar Toolbar on my Windows taskbar it defaults to my ISP's default search page
>> > instead of Live Search which is what I prefer.

>> WYSIWYG. Your ISP is doing a phony successful lookup for the
>> DNS test that IE does when you enter only 1 word or string
>> (in case that is a host name and not a search request.)
>> You can probably find a link on that page which promises to stop
>> providing that service for you.
>>
>> You may also be able to do explicit searches from the Address bar,
>> e.g. by prefixing them with a question mark (?), find, or go
>> (which have been retained for compatibility with older versions.)
>>
>> The best solution though is to stop using that obsolete feature
>> and learn to search with the search bar, e.g. if you want to search
>> press Ctrl-e and type whatever it is that you would otherwise
>> have been typing in the Address bar.
>>

>> > The new search string appends
>> > 'src=IE-Address' to the end and I believe this is the source of the problem,
>> > because if I substitute that with 'src=IE-SearchBox' in the exact same search
>> > string instead, it uses my default Live Search. This is the search string
>> > that the toolbar address bar is sending to the explorer address bar -
>> > 'http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=in+fag&Form=IE8SRC&src=IE-Address'
>> > Has any one else experienced this and/or does any one know of a fix for it?

>> > There used to be a setting in XP that allowed you to change this, But I
>> > can't find it on Vista.

>> Your symptom really less to do with IE or your OS and more to do with your ISP's "feechur". ; )
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

CadWizard

Re: Address Bar Toolbar Search Change after IE8

Okay, I must be the only person using this feature which has been apart of
the Windows taskbar (the bar at the bottom with the start button) since
Windows 98.
When you right mouse click on the Windows taskbar a context menu appears and
at the top it has a menu item labeled 'Toolbars'. Placing your mouse pointer
over this menu item exposes a sub menu and at the top of it is a menu item
labeled 'Address'. Selecting this menu item will place an Address Bar exactly
like the one on the IE, on your Windows taskbar (on the right near the
notification area).

This address bar on my Windows taskbar uses the IE or the WE depending on
the following :
if you type a correctly formatted and qualified URL it opens a new IE
instance and loads that page
OR if you select 'Search' with the mouse it will format a search string
based on your default search provider and the text entered and display the
results in a new IE instance
OR if it's not a qualified drive path OR a correctly formatted and qualified
URL it will format a search string based on your default search provider and
the text entered and display the results in a new IE instance.
It will open the WE ONLY if you type a qualified drive path such as c:\Users
and are not specifying a file name.
OR if you type a qualified drive path to an existing file, it will open the
default application for that filetype and load the file.

Even if you use the the Search Bar in the IE, when you press the search
button it does the same thing as the Windows taskbar address bar does. It
formats a search string and sends it to the address bar in the IE and sends
that out. When the results are displayed, you can see the search string right
there in the IE address bar. You can copy that and paste it into any IE
address bar and get the exact same results as if you just typed the search
string in the Search Box.

YES I tried the ? prefix and ended up with the same result.
YES I opted out like you said, but as I suspected was going to happen, I
just get a 'Page cannot be displayed' message now.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> [...]

> Robert
> ---

> >> WYSIWYG. Your ISP is doing a phony successful lookup for the
> >> DNS test that IE does when you enter only 1 word or string
> >> (in case that is a host name and not a search request.)
> >> You can probably find a link on that page which promises to stop
> >> providing that service for you.
> >>
> >> You may also be able to do explicit searches from the Address bar,
> >> e.g. by prefixing them with a question mark (?), find, or go
> >> (which have been retained for compatibility with older versions.)
> >>
> >> The best solution though is to stop using that obsolete feature
> >> and learn to search with the search bar, e.g. if you want to search
> >> press Ctrl-e and type whatever it is that you would otherwise
> >> have been typing in the Address bar.

> >> Your symptom really less to do with IE or your OS and more to do with your ISP's "feechur". ; )

CadWizard

Re: Address Bar Toolbar Search Change after IE8
Thank you for your patience Robert. I have discovered the problem and
solution myself though.

The problem mostly lies with Live Search. When I went through the settings
dialog that opens the first time you start IE8, I chose to update my search
providers. What this did was download and enter into the registry new search
string templates for IE8 which uses browser variables to specify the referrer
and source. This is the statement 'IE-Address' for searches from the address
bar and 'IE-SearchBox' for searches from the search box. Which sounds
straight forward, except that Live Search, wether on purpose or unknowingly,
is rejecting the search string as being improperly formatted when you search
from the address bar. It was then kicked back to my ISP's DNS servers which
redirected me to Yahoo! search.

My solution: I changed the variable names in the registry to the literal
'IE-SearchBox' and all is well in the world of CadWizard.
Thank you very much
CAD
Donald Anadell

> Okay, I must be the only person using this feature which has been apart of
> the Windows taskbar (the bar at the bottom with the start button) since
> Windows 98.

You've yet to tell us what Operating System and Service Pack Level you are
using. While you are correct that the Address Bar on the Taskbar feature
was available from Windows 98 thru and including Windows XP SP2, that
functionality(feature) was removed with the release of Windows XP SP3.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951448

So if you are still able to use the Address Bar on the Taskbar at all, I can
only assume that you've installed IE8 on a Windows XP SP2 machine.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> [...]

>> the two requests that your ISP's feature takes over.
>>
>> BTW another way to ensure that you get an Internet search done,
>> would be to install Windows Search and use its Deskbar feature.
>> E.g. try using that instead of the Address bar.
>>

>> Also, do you have a sample of your ISP's page? Need any help looking
>> for a link which requests that they not do that? It's usually in the
>> fine
>> print at the bottom. ; )
>>

>> > I really like this feature and have been using it for years, since I am
>> > not
>> > a fan of Yahoo! Search, I'll just uninstall IE8 and use a restore point
>> > get it back. I should have known it was folly to believe that Microsoft
>> > was
>> > actually going to listen to our 'Feedback'.

>> They need to ensure there is a clear delineation between the browser

Donald Anadell

Re: Address Bar Toolbar Search Change after IE8
Disregard this post, I missed that you are using Vista in your original
post.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message news:umm2T7kzJHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Disregard this post, I missed that you are using Vista in your original post.

Oops. Thank you, Donald. That makes my comment about WS inapplicable too then,
since Vista already provides the equivalent functionality.

; )

Robert
---

"CadWizard" <CadWizard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF884008-7DD8-488A-BD88-838375923868@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your patience Robert. I have discovered the problem and
> solution myself though.
>
> The problem mostly lies with Live Search. When I went through the settings
> dialog that opens the first time you start IE8, I chose to update my search
> providers. What this did was download and enter into the registry new search
> string templates for IE8 which uses browser variables to specify the referrer
> and source. This is the statement 'IE-Address' for searches from the address
> bar and 'IE-SearchBox' for searches from the search box. Which sounds
> straight forward, except that Live Search, wether on purpose or unknowingly,
> is rejecting the search string as being improperly formatted when you search
> from the address bar. It was then kicked back to my ISP's DNS servers which
> redirected me to Yahoo! search.

I'll try to remember to test this the next time I'm on Vista.
I can't recreate this on XPsp3.

> My solution: I changed the variable names in the registry to the literal
> 'IE-SearchBox' and all is well in the world of CadWizard.
> Thank you very much
> CAD

Thanks for sharing the resolution. In fact, this just reminds me of
perhaps significant timing difference I could have mentioned.
Search providers for the new IE8 can specify that they support
"Search Suggestions", which could involve another redirect
(I don't know; I haven't checked the exact implementation;
just know that you could have a difference if that was enabled.)
You could see it via Manage Add-ons, Search Providers category.

BTW Yahoo! search is one that my mother's ISP uses.
It has a link like I mentioned at the bottom of the page. ; )

Robert
---