Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP

RL1

Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
When trying to install IE8 on my XP Toshiba laptop the Microsoft Update says
the Download size is 0KB.
It says the following:
"This Update has already been downloaded to your computer but if you select
it, it will finish installing (recommended)."
Then, the installation program proceeds and the window titled "Install
Windows Internet Explorer 8" pops up and shows progress. This shows that the
installation fails with a red X near the installation step.
Then the Windows Update page shows a review of the installation results
showing that it failed.
There is no help on how to resolve this.
I ran the program "eventvw.msc" and this shows the following:
Type: Error
Source: Windows Update Agent
Category: Installation
Event: 20
update with error 0x80070643: Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP.

Can anyone help me with a solution so I can install IE8 on my PC please (I
have screen shots if required)?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use the
Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

4. Now download/install IE8 manually via
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

RL1 wrote:
> When trying to install IE8 on my XP Toshiba laptop the Microsoft Update
> says
> the Download size is 0KB.
> It says the following:
> "This Update has already been downloaded to your computer but if you
> select
> it, it will finish installing (recommended)."
> Then, the installation program proceeds and the window titled "Install
> Windows Internet Explorer 8" pops up and shows progress. This shows that
> the installation fails with a red X near the installation step.
> Then the Windows Update page shows a review of the installation results
> showing that it failed.
> There is no help on how to resolve this.
> I ran the program "eventvw.msc" and this shows the following:
> Type: Error
> Source: Windows Update Agent
> Category: Installation
> Event: 20
> update with error 0x80070643: Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP.

> Can anyone help me with a solution so I can install IE8 on my PC please (I
> have screen shots if required)?
>
> Thanks in advance.

RL1

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
Thank you for your reply, PA Bear [MS MVP].

I followed your suggestion and to no avail. The installation continues to
fail.

I am desperate to resolve and this and will take any advice if you can
please help me.

Thank you again.

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Answer the following questions by number:

1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | [OK]

Write down the second line of text displayed in the resulting window and
post it in a reply to this thread.

2. Were you unable to install IE8 manually (#4 in my previous post) after
completing #1 thru #3 (in my previous post)? Did you get the same
0x80070643 error or a different one?

3a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you attempted to install IE8?

3b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

RL1 wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, PA Bear [MS MVP].
>
> I followed your suggestion and to no avail. The installation continues to
> fail.
>
> I am desperate to resolve and this and will take any advice if you can
> please help me.
>
> Thank you again.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
>> Windows Internet Explorer 8" pops up and shows progress. This shows that
>> the installation fails with a red X near the installation step.
>> Then the Windows Update page shows a review of the installation results
>> showing that it failed.
>> There is no help on how to resolve this.
>> I ran the program "eventvw.msc" and this shows the following:
>> Type: Error
>> Source: Windows Update Agent
>> Category: Installation
>> Event: 20
>> following
>> update with error 0x80070643: Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP.

>> Can anyone help me with a solution so I can install IE8 on my PC please
>> (I
>> have screen shots if required)?

RL1

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
Thank you for pursuing this matter.
I am desperate to resolve this!

Answers are as follows:
1.
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3)

2.
I now get in the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) the following:
Internet Explorer 8
The description for Event ID ( 4373 ) in Source ( Internet Explorer 8 )
cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
Internet Explorer 8, ie8, The configuration registry key could not be written.

3.
I have installed only Norton Internet Security and this is valid and
subscriped.

Thank you. I await your next step of investigation.
RL1
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> Then the Windows Update page shows a review of the installation results
> >> showing that it failed.
> >> There is no help on how to resolve this.
> >> I ran the program "eventvw.msc" and this shows the following:
> >> Type: Error
> >> Source: Windows Update Agent
> >> Category: Installation
> >> Event: 20
> >> following
> >> update with error 0x80070643: Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP.
> >>
> >> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> >> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help me with a solution so I can install IE8 on my PC please
> >> (I
> >> have screen shots if required)?

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
> ...The following information is part of the
> event: Internet Explorer 8, ie8, The configuration registry key could not

Before your next attempt to install IE8, temporarily disable (1) NAV, (2)
any Norton Add-ons, and (3) Norton Personal Firewall; and (4) enable the
Windows Firewall.

After the installation completes, reboot TWO times then make certain that
#1-#3 are enabled and #4 is disabled.

RL1 wrote:
> [...]

>>> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
>>> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
>>> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling
>>> the
>>> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>>
>>> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.
>>>
>>> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>>>
>>> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your
>>> anti-virus
>>> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and
>>> your
>>> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you
>>> decide
>>> install it.

RL1

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
I took your advice and tried again to install IE8 as you suggeted.
It failed again and when running eventvwr.msc again, get an error with Event
ID 4373.
Any other ideas?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...The following information is part of the
> > event: Internet Explorer 8, ie8, The configuration registry key could not
> > be written.

> Before your next attempt to install IE8, temporarily disable (1) NAV, (2)
> any Norton Add-ons, and (3) Norton Personal Firewall; and (4) enable the
> Windows Firewall.
>
> After the installation completes, reboot TWO times then make certain that
> #1-#3 are enabled and #4 is disabled.
>
> RL1 wrote:
> > Thank you for pursuing this matter.
> > I am desperate to resolve this!
> >
> > Answers are as follows:
> > 1.
> > Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3)
> >
> > 2.
> > I now get in the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) the following:
> > Internet Explorer 8
> > The description for Event ID ( 4373 ) in Source ( Internet Explorer 8 )
> > cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> > information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> > computer.
> > You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description;
> > see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
> > event: Internet Explorer 8, ie8, The configuration registry key could not
> > be written.
> >
> > 3.
> > I have installed only Norton Internet Security and this is valid and
> > subscriped.
> >
> > Thank you. I await your next step of investigation.
> > RL1
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
> >>
> >> Answer the following questions by number:
> >>
> >> 1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | [OK]
> >>
> >> Write down the second line of text displayed in the resulting window and
> >> post it in a reply to this thread.
> >>
> >> 2. Were you unable to install IE8 manually (#4 in my previous post) after
> >> completing #1 thru #3 (in my previous post)? Did you get the same
> >> 0x80070643 error or a different one?
> >>
> >> 3a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
> >> your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you attempted to install IE8?
> >>
> >> 3b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

> >> <paste>

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
When did you install Norton Internet Security (NIS)? What anti-virus
application or security suite was installed before you installed NIS and was
your subscription still current when you installed NIS?

RL1 wrote:
> I took your advice and tried again to install IE8 as you suggeted.
> It failed again and when running eventvwr.msc again, get an error with
> Event
> ID 4373.
> Any other ideas?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> ...The following information is part of the
>>> event: Internet Explorer 8, ie8, The configuration registry key could
>>> not
>>> be written.

>> Before your next attempt to install IE8, temporarily disable (1) NAV, (2)
>> any Norton Add-ons, and (3) Norton Personal Firewall; and (4) enable the
>> Windows Firewall.
>>
>> After the installation completes, reboot TWO times then make certain that
>> #1-#3 are enabled and #4 is disabled.
>>
>> RL1 wrote:
>>> Thank you for pursuing this matter.
>>> I am desperate to resolve this!
>>>
>>> Answers are as follows:
>>> 1. Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3)
>>>
>>> 2. I now get in the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) the following:
>>> Internet Explorer 8
>>> The description for Event ID ( 4373 ) in Source ( Internet Explorer 8 )
>>> cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
>>> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
>>> computer.
>>> You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
>>> description;
>>> see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of
>>> the
>>> event: Internet Explorer 8, ie8, The configuration registry key could
>>> not
>>> be written.
>>>
>>> 3. I have installed only Norton Internet Security and this is valid and
>>> subscriped.
>>>
>>> Thank you. I await your next step of investigation.

RL1

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
I upgraded to NIS 09 at the end of April 2009. Before I had NIS 08. Yes I
always had a current subscription.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> When did you install Norton Internet Security (NIS)? What anti-virus
> application or security suite was installed before you installed NIS and was
> your subscription still current when you installed NIS?
>
> RL1 wrote:
> > I took your advice and tried again to install IE8 as you suggeted.
> > It failed again and when running eventvwr.msc again, get an error with
> > Event
> > ID 4373.
> > Any other ideas?

> >> Before your next attempt to install IE8, temporarily disable (1) NAV, (2)
> >> any Norton Add-ons, and (3) Norton Personal Firewall; and (4) enable the
> >> Windows Firewall.
> >>
> >> After the installation completes, reboot TWO times then make certain that
> >> #1-#3 are enabled and #4 is disabled.

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
[Crosspost to WinXP General and Windows Update newsgroups]

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop:

2. Physically disconnect the computer from the internet.

3. After making certain you have a copy of your NIS 2009 Product Key,
uninstall all Norton software (including LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons)
via Add/Remove Programs.

4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #6 & #7 below until your
anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!

5. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
touch your computer/keyboard until the run completes!

6. Reboot, reconnect to the internet, and /immediately/ (re)install NIS
2009.

NB: Do NOT install any Norton Add-ons at this point. If necessary, do a
Custom install of NIS 2009 to avoid installing them.

7. After rebooting, make certain that NAV and the Norton firewall are
enabled and the Windows Firewall is disabled, then run LiveUpdate manually &
repeatedly until you get a "no more updates" prompt.

8. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM & scan |
*uncheck* IE8 but install any critical security updates offered (e.g.,
KB960237). If IE7 is already installed and a Root Certificates update is
listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage
of IE7's enhanced security.

Assuming you still wish to pursue getting IE8 installed...

9. Download the installer for IE8, saving it to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-08cdecd8852b

10. Create a Restore Point* manually; cf.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/createrp.html

11. Temporarily disable (a) NAV and (b) the Norton firewall, (c) enable the
Windows Firewall, then (d) double-click on the file you saved in #9 above to
install IE8.

12. Reboot TWO times after IE8 installs then make certain that NAV and the
Norton firewall are enabled and the Windows Firewall is disabled.

Best of luck! You may delete the IE8 installer (#9 above) at your pleasure.

If you need any additional assistance, no-charge support for Internet
Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage (only) is available via the phone
based on your locale through 31 December 2009. Customers must be running
Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

* FYI: About NAV & System Restore (FYI) =>
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html