Tabbed Browsing problem

Joe McArthur

Tabbed Browsing problem
I have Tabbed Browsing enabled and "Open links from other programs in:" set
to "A new tab in the current window". However, whenever I click on a link
in another program (e.g. Outlook Express) it always opens it in a new
window. Very annoying. I have the exact same setup at work that I do at
home (i.e. Windows XP with SP2, IE7, Tabbed Browsing turned on with all
other settings for the tabs set the same way), but it won't work right on
the home computer, while it works just fine on the work computer. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem
IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows when
launching shortcuts (checked?)

Joe McArthur wrote:
> I have Tabbed Browsing enabled and "Open links from other programs in:"
> set
> to "A new tab in the current window". However, whenever I click on a link
> in another program (e.g. Outlook Express) it always opens it in a new
> window. Very annoying. I have the exact same setup at work that I do at
> home (i.e. Windows XP with SP2, IE7, Tabbed Browsing turned on with all
> other settings for the tabs set the same way), but it won't work right on
> the home computer, while it works just fine on the work computer. Any
> ideas? Thanks.

Joe McArthur

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in news:#kfgh3UzJHA.3896
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows when
> launching shortcuts (checked?)

Yes.

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem
[Note to self: X-news]

Close all open applications.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | File Types (tab):

Scroll down to {NONE} Internet Shortcut and select it.
Click Advanced
Select 'open'
Click Edit
Uncheck: Use DDE
OK your way out

Joe McArthur wrote:
> Yes.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows when
> launching shortcuts (checked?)
>
> Joe McArthur wrote:
>> I have Tabbed Browsing enabled and "Open links from other programs in:"
>> set
>> to "A new tab in the current window". However, whenever I click on a
>> link
>> in another program (e.g. Outlook Express) it always opens it in a new
>> window. Very annoying. I have the exact same setup at work that I do at
>> home (i.e. Windows XP with SP2, IE7, Tabbed Browsing turned on with all
>> other settings for the tabs set the same way), but it won't work right
>> on
>> the home computer, while it works just fine on the work computer. Any
>> ideas? Thanks.

Joe McArthur

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem
That fixed it. Thank you. I am curious ... do most IE7 users have to
make this change in order for the tabbed browsing to work correctly?
Seems odd to me that anyone should have to.

> [Note to self: X-news]
>
> Close all open applications.
>
> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | File Types (tab):
>
> Scroll down to {NONE} Internet Shortcut and select it.
> Click Advanced
> Select 'open'
> Click Edit
> Uncheck: Use DDE
> OK your way out
>
> Joe McArthur wrote:
>> Yes.

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows
>> when launching shortcuts (checked?)
>>
>> Joe McArthur wrote:
>>> I have Tabbed Browsing enabled and "Open links from other programs
>>> in:" set
>>> to "A new tab in the current window". However, whenever I click on
>>> a link
>>> in another program (e.g. Outlook Express) it always opens it in a
>>> new window. Very annoying. I have the exact same setup at work
>>> that I do at home (i.e. Windows XP with SP2, IE7, Tabbed Browsing
>>> turned on with all other settings for the tabs set the same way),
>>> but it won't work right on
>>> the home computer, while it works just fine on the work computer.
>>> Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem
YW.

First of all, my MVP colleagues Bruce Hagen and the late Frank Saunders came
up with that fix.

Second, no, only a very few IE7/IE8 users have needed to use this tweak.
Why, I dunno. Personally, I prefer links in an OE message to open in a
separate instance of IE but to each his own.
~~

Joe McArthur wrote:
> That fixed it. Thank you. I am curious ... do most IE7 users have to
> make this change in order for the tabbed browsing to work correctly?
> Seems odd to me that anyone should have to.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote
>> [Note to self: X-news]
>>
>> Close all open applications.
>>
>> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | File Types (tab):
>>
>> Scroll down to {NONE} Internet Shortcut and select it.
>> Click Advanced
>> Select 'open'
>> Click Edit
>> Uncheck: Use DDE
>> OK your way out
>>
>> Joe McArthur wrote:
>>> Yes.

>> <paste>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows
>>> when launching shortcuts (checked?)

Donald Anadell

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem

> the late Frank Saunders

Sorry to hear about this. I've been wondering for months now why his name
was no longer appeared in the group.

Donald Anadell

Leonard Grey

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem
I, too, am very sorry to hear this news. You knew him better than I did,
of course, but I sure learned a lot from him.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Donald Anadell wrote:

>> the late Frank Saunders

> Sorry to hear about this. I've been wondering for months now why his name
> was no longer appeared in the group.
>
> Donald Anadell

Re: Tabbed Browsing problem
Donald Anadell wrote:
>> ...the late Frank Saunders

> Sorry to hear about this. I've been wondering for months now why his name
> was no longer appeared in the group.

Yes, we lost our colleague and mentor Frank Saunders early this year after a
five-year battle with cancer.
--
~Robear