"mark msgs as read" problem

Francis Marsden

"mark msgs as read" problem
Previously, when I read a newsgroup message for more than a few seconds, the
type in the 'newsgroup message header pane' (above the message pane itself,
I don't know the correct term for it) would go from bold to thin, thus
showing that I had read it. I suppose this is what is meant by "mark
messages as read". But now this no longer happens, even though in
tools-options-read tab, I have "mark messages as read after 3 seconds"
checked. How to get this back? TIA

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4050 (20090503) __________

http://www.eset.com

Francis Marsden

Re: "mark msgs as read" problem
Sorry, just realized I posted to the wrong newsgroup. Still, if you have
the answer...

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4050 (20090503) __________

http://www.eset.com

rob^_^

Re: "mark msgs as read" problem
WLM - Tools>Options

"Francis Marsden" <fake@fake.fake> wrote in message
> Previously, when I read a newsgroup message for more than a few seconds,
> the type in the 'newsgroup message header pane' (above the message pane
> itself, I don't know the correct term for it) would go from bold to thin,
> thus showing that I had read it. I suppose this is what is meant by "mark
> messages as read". But now this no longer happens, even though in
> tools-options-read tab, I have "mark messages as read after 3 seconds"
> checked. How to get this back? TIA

> signature database 4050 (20090503) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Francis Marsden

Re: "mark msgs as read" problem

> WLM - Tools>Options

What does "WLM" stand for?

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4050 (20090503) __________

http://www.eset.com

Francis Marsden

Re: "mark msgs as read" problem
> What does "WLM" stand for?

Okay, now I get it. Stands for Windows Live Mail, but I am using Outlook
Express 6.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4051 (20090504) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: "mark msgs as read" problem
[crosspost to OE General]

Do you see this in all newsgroups or just some?

1. View | Current view: Make sure that only "Show all messages" is checked
here.

2. If no joy, your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the
default Main Identity. Try one or more of your (news) accounts in a new
Named Identity...

File | Identities | Add new identity

Assuming all is well, (1) add your other (mail; news) accounts to the new
identity, (2) compact all folders in the old identity, (3) import messages
from the old identity into the new one, and then (4) delete the old one
(File | Identities | Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

LOOK!!! => Disable email scanning (inbound & outbound) by your anti-virus
application. It can cause corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides
no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm