Re: MVP Question

On Mon, 4 May 2009 16:47:02 +1000, "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au>

> On Mon, 4 May 2009 16:47:02 +1000, "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au>

> news:0d5tv4tbj725lg1ieguv30slv2109ib2e9@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 4 May 2009 16:47:02 +1000, "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this "person" a real MVP (The Real Truth http://pcbutts1) ?

>> NO.

> Not under another name ? (As claimed)

Sunny

Re: MVP Question
Thanks, the clown seems to use your name, and others, in vain,

> NO!
>
> Sunny wrote:
>> "Sonny Wortzik" <SonnyWortzik@invalid> wrote in message

>>> NO.

>> Not under another name ? (As claimed)

Andrew McLaren

Re: MVP Question
>>Is this "person" a real MVP (The Real Truth http://pcbutts1) ?
> NO.

You can find a list of all current MVPs at Microsoft's MVP site:

Most of the Vista MVPs are under the "Windows Desktop Experience" category,
I think.

The MVP award lasts for 12 months. If someone continues to get selected,
they could remain an MVP for years on end. But if you drop your MVP, you
disappear off the list. So former MVPs are not listed.

Cheers,

Andrew
(former MVP :-)
--
amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

Bob Lucas

Re: MVP Question
I asked a similar question several months ago. The responses
revealed the proverbial can of worms.

Barring forgeries, you can be reasonably sure that if a person is
listed on the website, then that person is an MVP.

However, the website at
mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx only provides
details of those MVPs that want to share their information
publicly.

As far as I am aware, there is no complete listing of current
MVPs available to the public. Unfortunately, not all MVPs choose
to share their information publicly - so even if a particular
name does not appear on the listing, that person might still be
an MVP.

From a personal viewpoint, that is unfortunate, because it is far
too easy for imposters to make false claims. Although I can
appreciate why an individual might not want to publish any of
his/her biographical details, it is difficult to understand why
any contributor to a public newsgroup who claims to be an MVP
might be unwilling to appear in a complete list of names.

After all, I would be reluctant to accept advice or receive
treatment from a person who claims to be a medical practitioner
or other consultant, but is not listed by a relevant professional
body. Why should advice from an MVP be any different?

"Andrew McLaren" <andrew.mclaren@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>>Is this "person" a real MVP (The Real Truth http://pcbutts1) ?

>> NO.

> You can find a list of all current MVPs at Microsoft's MVP
> site:
>
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>
> Most of the Vista MVPs are under the "Windows Desktop
> Experience" category, I think.
>
> The MVP award lasts for 12 months. If someone continues to get
> selected, they could remain an MVP for years on end. But if you
> drop your MVP, you disappear off the list. So former MVPs are
> not listed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
> (former MVP :-)
> --
> amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

David H. Lipman

Re: MVP Question
From: "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au>

| Thanks, the clown seems to use your name, and others, in vain,

That "clown" has impersonated PA Bear and myself on numerous occasions.

--
Dave

Leythos

Re: MVP Question
In article <enP3QJKzJHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, bob@nospam.com
says...
> After all, I would be reluctant to accept advice or receive
> treatment from a person who claims to be a medical practitioner
> or other consultant, but is not listed by a relevant professional
> body. Why should advice from an MVP be any different?

You should not trust ANY advice you get on Usenet, you should ALWAYS
check it against other sources. One clear indication of a person/post to
not trust is their history of being foul/nasty and including
****ographic links in non-**** groups, like PCBUTTS has in the past.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
Ron Badour

Re: MVP Question
Bob,

I have never understood why some folks don't want their MVP status
known--maybe it is job related (works for a MS competitor); however, I
suspect that these same folks never make a claim in the newsgroups that they
are an MVP.

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP

"Bob Lucas" <bob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I asked a similar question several months ago. The responses revealed the
>proverbial can of worms.
>
> Barring forgeries, you can be reasonably sure that if a person is listed
> on the website, then that person is an MVP.
>
> However, the website at mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> only provides details of those MVPs that want to share their information
> publicly.
>
> As far as I am aware, there is no complete listing of current MVPs
> available to the public. Unfortunately, not all MVPs choose to share
> their information publicly - so even if a particular name does not appear
> on the listing, that person might still be an MVP.
>
> From a personal viewpoint, that is unfortunate, because it is far too easy
> for imposters to make false claims. Although I can appreciate why an
> individual might not want to publish any of his/her biographical details,
> it is difficult to understand why any contributor to a public newsgroup
> who claims to be an MVP might be unwilling to appear in a complete list of
> names.
>
> After all, I would be reluctant to accept advice or receive treatment from
> a person who claims to be a medical practitioner or other consultant, but
> is not listed by a relevant professional body. Why should advice from an
> MVP be any different?
>

> "Andrew McLaren" <andrew.mclaren@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> NO.

>> You can find a list of all current MVPs at Microsoft's MVP site:
>>
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>>
>> Most of the Vista MVPs are under the "Windows Desktop Experience"
>> category, I think.
>>
>> The MVP award lasts for 12 months. If someone continues to get selected,
>> they could remain an MVP for years on end. But if you drop your MVP, you
>> disappear off the list. So former MVPs are not listed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Andrew
>> (former MVP :-)
>> --
>> amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

Andrew McLaren

Re: MVP Question
"Bob Lucas" <bob@nospam.com> wrote ...
> However, the website at mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> only provides details of those MVPs that want to share their information
> publicly.

Yes, that's right.

The MVP programme is far from perfect. But in my experience, most genuine
MVPs are willing - and indeed, greatly desire - to have their details openly
published. So while the list is not a 100% guarantee, it's a pretty good
guide.

You'd have to wonder about any professional who doesn't want to stand
publically identified and accountable. To continue your doctor analogy, it's
like seeing a doctor who says to you "Sure, here's my medical degree - but
I've liquid-papered over my name; I don't want to reveal my personal
details". Would you trust such a doctor? Maybe, but ... uh, probably not :-)

The MVP programme works okay for the smaller product categories, like SQL
Server or .NET. They're small enough, that everyone knows everyone else
anyway. Windows Desktop doesn't scale quite so well, the scope is so huge:
hundreds of millions of users, and hundreds of MVPs; there's not much real
"community" apart from what is enforced by the technology. Microsoft is
unlikely to spend more money improving MVP verification, unless there was
some very tangible benefit; eg preventing serious abuse. A few clowns in
newsgroups, pretending to be MVPs, doesn't quite meet that bar. It's risk
mananagement ... perfection is very expensive; so they shoot for "near
enough".