IE8 problems

Jopaku

IE8 problems
When trying to change my website by altering the view source on my PC, I
can't effect any changes because I get what is called "Original Source" .
Also part of the source is colored red and every line is numbered. To change
the source I have to revert back to IE7.
That was not what I expected when istalling IE8.
Plse advise
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 problems
Hi,
Add the Edit button. Right-click the IE toolbar> Customize. Add the Edit
button. That will give you the options and view you're accustomed to seeing
in IE7.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to change my website by altering the view source on my PC, I
> can't effect any changes because I get what is called "Original Source" .
> Also part of the source is colored red and every line is numbered. To

change
> the source I have to revert back to IE7.
> That was not what I expected when istalling IE8.
> Plse advise

Jopaku

Re: IE8 problems

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Add the Edit button. Right-click the IE toolbar> Customize. Add the Edit
> button. That will give you the options and view you're accustomed to seeing
> in IE7.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to change my website by altering the view source on my PC, I
> > can't effect any changes because I get what is called "Original Source" .
> > Also part of the source is colored red and every line is numbered. To

> change
> > the source I have to revert back to IE7.
> > That was not what I expected when istalling IE8.
> > Plse advise

> HI,

My toolbar has already Edit button. With it I can only cut-copy-paste-select
all and find on page. In Tools I've already checked Compatibility View
Settings.
Nothing helps. Jopaku
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 problems
Hi,
Sorry for the delay. If you're editing an HTML page, which is on your
computer, not on a server, why wouldn't you browse to the file and use
right-click> edit or right-click> open with?

> > HI,

> My toolbar has already Edit button. With it I can only

cut-copy-paste-select
> all and find on page. In Tools I've already checked Compatibility View
> Settings.
> Nothing helps. Jopaku

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Add the Edit button. Right-click the IE toolbar> Customize. Add the Edit
> > button. That will give you the options and view you're accustomed to

seeing
> > in IE7.

> > "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When trying to change my website by altering the view source on my PC,

> > > can't effect any changes because I get what is called "Original

Source" .
> > > Also part of the source is colored red and every line is numbered. To

> > change
> > > the source I have to revert back to IE7.
> > > That was not what I expected when istalling IE8.
> > > Plse advise

Jopaku

Re: IE8 problems
Hi Don,
I can view my website on my PC, and when rightclicking open the html code with
described before, part of the source is colored red and every line is
numbered.
So no change possible. Is there an extra tag or special settings I should use?
Jopaku

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry for the delay. If you're editing an HTML page, which is on your
> computer, not on a server, why wouldn't you browse to the file and use
> right-click> edit or right-click> open with?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > HI,

> > My toolbar has already Edit button. With it I can only

> cut-copy-paste-select
> > all and find on page. In Tools I've already checked Compatibility View
> > Settings.
> > Nothing helps. Jopaku

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Add the Edit button. Right-click the IE toolbar> Customize. Add the Edit
> > > button. That will give you the options and view you're accustomed to

> seeing
> > > in IE7.

> > > "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Source" .
> > > change

Jopaku

Re: IE8 problems
Ron,
On my PC I've tried meta: <Meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
content="IE=7"/> to no avail.
I'll give you the website I manage for an acquaintance, maybe you can advise
me what is wrong and why it can be changed on my PC in IE7, but not in IE8.
Website is: www.toguna-art.com
Thanks, Jopaku
"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Add the Edit button. Right-click the IE toolbar> Customize. Add the Edit
> button. That will give you the options and view you're accustomed to seeing
> in IE7.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to change my website by altering the view source on my PC, I
> > can't effect any changes because I get what is called "Original Source" .
> > Also part of the source is colored red and every line is numbered. To

> change
> > the source I have to revert back to IE7.
> > That was not what I expected when istalling IE8.
> > Plse advise

Donald Anadell

Re: IE8 problems

> Hi Don,
> I can view my website on my PC, and when rightclicking open the html code
> with
> described before, part of the source is colored red and every line is
> numbered.

What View Source Editor are you using?

The default View Source Editor is Notepad, have you changed it to some other

Notepad does not display and red or numbered lines, but other Editors do.
Have you tried using TweakUI to reset your View Source Editor to the default
Notepad.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> So no change possible. Is there an extra tag or special settings I should
> use?
> Jopaku
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Sorry for the delay. If you're editing an HTML page, which is on your
>> computer, not on a server, why wouldn't you browse to the file and use
>> right-click> edit or right-click> open with?
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > My toolbar has already Edit button. With it I can only

>> cut-copy-paste-select
>> > all and find on page. In Tools I've already checked Compatibility View
>> > Settings.
>> > Nothing helps. Jopaku

>> seeing

>> Source" .

Jopaku

Re: IE8 problems
Hi Donald,
On my PC I rightclick in my website en after clicking "view source"I can
straightaway change any data I want to. This in IE7. In IE8 I get the red
coloring and impossible to change anything. Looks like I'm stuck with IE7
Jopaku

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Don,
> > I can view my website on my PC, and when rightclicking open the html code
> > with
> > described before, part of the source is colored red and every line is
> > numbered.

> What View Source Editor are you using?
>
> The default View Source Editor is Notepad, have you changed it to some other
>
> Notepad does not display and red or numbered lines, but other Editors do.
> Have you tried using TweakUI to reset your View Source Editor to the default
> Notepad.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > So no change possible. Is there an extra tag or special settings I should
> > use?
> > Jopaku
> >
> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> Sorry for the delay. If you're editing an HTML page, which is on your
> >> computer, not on a server, why wouldn't you browse to the file and use
> >> right-click> edit or right-click> open with?
> >>
> >> Don
> >> [MS MVP- IE]
> >>
> >> "Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> cut-copy-paste-select

> >> seeing

> >> Source" .

Gordon

Re: IE8 problems

> Hi Donald,
> On my PC I rightclick in my website en after clicking "view source"I can
> straightaway change any data I want to. This in IE7. In IE8 I get the red
> coloring and impossible to change anything. Looks like I'm stuck with IE7
> Jopaku

Err why are you using Internet Explorer to edit pages on your website?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Donald Anadell

Re: IE8 problems

"Jopaku" <Jopaku@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi Donald,
> On my PC I rightclick in my website en after clicking "view source"I can
> straightaway change any data I want to.
> This in IE7.

And where is the HTML file for your website that you are trying to Edit
located? Are you trying to make these changes to an HTML file that's
sitting on your Hard drive or is the HTML file sitting on your web server.

Normally you would make changes to your HTML file locally and then upload
that file to your server via FTP. Or, are you using a Third party program
such as "EditPad Pro" that allows you to make changes directly to the HTML
file that sits on your server(via it's built in FTP).

I'm afraid at this point you simply have not given enough information about:

1. Where are the HTML file(s) you are trying to edit located(locally, or on
a server)?
2. Are you using a Third party Editor for either the View Source Editor, or
the HTML Editor on your machine?
3. When you right-click on your webpage and select View Source, what
program is opening up and showing you the HTML file?

> In IE8 I get the red
> coloring and impossible to change anything.

Again, what program is displaying the text of your HTML file in red when you
click on View Source? When you click on View Source, the program you have
setup as the View Source Editor in IE should open up with the HTML file
displayed in it. What does the title bar of that program read, Notepad or
otherwise?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell