Is there a registry hack to remove favorites Icon

devlishnes@hotmail.com

Is there a registry hack to remove favorites Icon
Getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 does get rid of the
favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar does not get rid of
the favorites icon. Does anyone know a registry hack to get rid of the
favorites icon?

Re: Is there a registry hack to remove favorites Icon
[<pst> We saw your first post.]

devlishnes@hotmail.com wrote:
> Getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 does get rid of the
> favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar does not get rid of
> the favorites icon. Does anyone know a registry hack to get rid of the
> favorites icon?

spamlet

Re: Is there a registry hack to remove favorites Icon
Ah, but what was your answer Robear?

I too have been struggling to get some room back on screen after updating to
IE8.

I too have managed to turn off the tabs, but am still left with the
pointless favourites star keeping that whole line open.

I also have what seems to be another total waste of space in top left of the
display in the form of a google search box that apart from the icon seems to
be just an unnecessary duplication of the google toolbar below it!

Where are the proper view settings to remove/tidy all this clutter?

Also with the tabs, I noticed that IE8 was spending an age trying to
'connect' with my 'home page', about blank: why would it have to 'connect'
with anything to display this? [This may be a continuation of the hanging
problems I was getting with IE6 mind: the tabs perhaps just showing it up a
bit more.]

On the face of it there seems to be a decided lack of user control on the
appearance of IE8, and if you have ways to get rid of the favourites icon
for starters, that would be v useful.

Cheers,

> [<pst> We saw your first post.]
>
> devlishnes@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 does get rid of the
>> favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar does not get rid of
>> the favorites icon. Does anyone know a registry hack to get rid of the
>> favorites icon?

Re: Is there a registry hack to remove favorites Icon
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

spamlet wrote:
> Ah, but what was your answer Robear?
>
> I too have been struggling to get some room back on screen after updating
> IE8.
>
> I too have managed to turn off the tabs, but am still left with the
> pointless favourites star keeping that whole line open.
>
> I also have what seems to be another total waste of space in top left of
> the
> display in the form of a google search box that apart from the icon seems
> be just an unnecessary duplication of the google toolbar below it!
>
> Where are the proper view settings to remove/tidy all this clutter?
>
> Also with the tabs, I noticed that IE8 was spending an age trying to
> 'connect' with my 'home page', about blank: why would it have to 'connect'
> with anything to display this? [This may be a continuation of the hanging
> problems I was getting with IE6 mind: the tabs perhaps just showing it up
> bit more.]
>
> On the face of it there seems to be a decided lack of user control on the
> appearance of IE8, and if you have ways to get rid of the favourites icon
> for starters, that would be v useful.
>
> Cheers,

>> [<pst> We saw your first post.]
>>
>> devlishnes@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> Getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 does get rid of the
>>> favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar does not get rid of
>>> the favorites icon. Does anyone know a registry hack to get rid of the
>>> favorites icon?

devlish

Re: Is there a registry hack to remove favorites Icon

Hello, I had to register here to hopefully get somewhere I can type in a
decent entry. I originally tried to post this in google groups and
thought I had deleted both posts. Insert kept turning off I don't know
what I hit to do it. This resulted in mangled posts. I thought I had
deleted both. My apologies for the posts. I thought I would get a chance
to edit it.

The question was how do I hack the registry or find the registry key to
change so I can get rid of the favorites icon in IE 8. I use Vista
business and tried getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 to get
rid of the favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar and tabbed
browsing both did not help.

I found the answer myself in the quero forums

Run Regedit

go to
hkey_current_user\software\policies\microsoft\inte rnetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions
add a d word NoCommandBar modify it to have a value of 1

The downside is I have to get rid of tabbed browsing again but I'll
live without tabbed browsing before I live with the favorites icon.

If there is a better hack I'd love to know.

--
devlish
spamlet

"devlish" <Devlishnes@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I had to register here to hopefully get somewhere I can type in a
> decent entry. I originally tried to post this in google groups and
> thought I had deleted both posts. Insert kept turning off I don't know
> what I hit to do it. This resulted in mangled posts. I thought I had
> deleted both. My apologies for the posts. I thought I would get a chance
> to edit it.
>
> The question was how do I hack the registry or find the registry key to
> change so I can get rid of the favorites icon in IE 8. I use Vista
> business and tried getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 to get
> rid of the favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar and tabbed
> browsing both did not help.
>
> I found the answer myself in the quero forums
>
> Run Regedit
>
> go to
> hkey_current_user\software\policies\microsoft\inte rnetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions
> add a d word NoCommandBar modify it to have a value of 1
>
> The downside is I have to get rid of tabbed browsing again but I'll
> live without tabbed browsing before I live with the favorites icon.
>
> If there is a better hack I'd love to know.
>

> --
> devlish

My XPPro SP3 registry does not have
"\internetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions", at the given location - did you
create the folders yourself?

devlish

spamlet;1501391 Wrote:
> "devlish" <Devlishnes********.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello, I had to register here to hopefully get somewhere I can type

> in a
> > decent entry. I originally tried to post this in google groups and
> > thought I had deleted both posts. Insert kept turning off I don't

> know
> > what I hit to do it. This resulted in mangled posts. I thought I had
> > deleted both. My apologies for the posts. I thought I would get a

> chance
> > to edit it.
> >
> > The question was how do I hack the registry or find the registry key

> > change so I can get rid of the favorites icon in IE 8. I use Vista
> > business and tried getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 to get
> > rid of the favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar and

> tabbed
> > browsing both did not help.
> >
> > I found the answer myself in the quero forums
> >
> > Run Regedit
> >
> > go to
> >

> hkey_current_user\software\policies\microsoft\inte rnetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions
> > add a d word NoCommandBar modify it to have a value of 1
> >
> > The downside is I have to get rid of tabbed browsing again but I'll
> > live without tabbed browsing before I live with the favorites icon.
> >
> > If there is a better hack I'd love to know.
> >

> > --
> > devlish

> My XPPro SP3 registry does not have
> "\internetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions", at the given location - did
> you
> create the folders yourself?

My vista registry does have those key locations on my user account but
on the other account without administrative access it does not have
them. I am currently planning on granting that account access, fixing
it, and then removing access to see if it works.

My best guess would be to back up the registry, set a restore point,
and then try to add them.

Good luck!

--
devlish
spamlet

> spamlet;1501391 Wrote:
>> "devlish" <Devlishnes********.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hello, I had to register here to hopefully get somewhere I can type

>> in a
>> > decent entry. I originally tried to post this in google groups and
>> > thought I had deleted both posts. Insert kept turning off I don't

>> know
>> > what I hit to do it. This resulted in mangled posts. I thought I had
>> > deleted both. My apologies for the posts. I thought I would get a

>> chance
>> > to edit it.
>> >
>> > The question was how do I hack the registry or find the registry key

>> > change so I can get rid of the favorites icon in IE 8. I use Vista
>> > business and tried getting rid of tabbed browsing like in IE 7 to get
>> > rid of the favorites icon. Getting rid of the favorites bar and

>> tabbed
>> > browsing both did not help.
>> >
>> > I found the answer myself in the quero forums
>> >
>> > Run Regedit
>> >
>> > go to
>> >

>> hkey_current_user\software\policies\microsoft\inte rnetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions
>> > add a d word NoCommandBar modify it to have a value of 1
>> >
>> > The downside is I have to get rid of tabbed browsing again but I'll
>> > live without tabbed browsing before I live with the favorites icon.
>> >
>> > If there is a better hack I'd love to know.
>> >

>> > --
>> > devlish

>> My XPPro SP3 registry does not have
>> "\internetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions", at the given location - did
>> you
>> create the folders yourself?

> My vista registry does have those key locations on my user account but
> on the other account without administrative access it does not have
> them. I am currently planning on granting that account access, fixing
> it, and then removing access to see if it works.
>
> My best guess would be to back up the registry, set a restore point,
> and then try to add them.
>
> Good luck!
>

> --
> devlish

Thanks for the update.
It is probably a bit beyond my normal depth of tinkering, but I might give
it a go if I get *really* annoyed with the pointless icon. I expect someone
will come up with a ready made hack before long.

Cheers,

Gordon

"spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "devlish" <Devlishnes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> spamlet;1501391 Wrote:
>>> "devlish" <Devlishnes********.com> wrote in message

>>> in a
>>> know
>>> chance

>>> tabbed

>>> hkey_current_user\software\policies\microsoft\inte rnetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions

>>> My XPPro SP3 registry does not have
>>> "\internetexplorer\toolbars\restrictions", at the given location - did
>>> you
>>> create the folders yourself?

>> My vista registry does have those key locations on my user account but
>> on the other account without administrative access it does not have
>> them. I am currently planning on granting that account access, fixing
>> it, and then removing access to see if it works.
>>
>> My best guess would be to back up the registry, set a restore point,
>> and then try to add them.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>

>> --
>> devlish

> Thanks for the update.
> It is probably a bit beyond my normal depth of tinkering, but I might give
> it a go if I get *really* annoyed with the pointless icon. I expect
> someone will come up with a ready made hack before long.
>
> Cheers,

I can't help wondering why you bother with a MODERN computer system at
all......

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

spamlet

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "devlish" <Devlishnes@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> My vista registry does have those key locations on my user account but
>>> on the other account without administrative access it does not have
>>> them. I am currently planning on granting that account access, fixing
>>> it, and then removing access to see if it works.
>>>
>>> My best guess would be to back up the registry, set a restore point,
>>> and then try to add them.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>

>>> --
>>> devlish

>> Thanks for the update.
>> It is probably a bit beyond my normal depth of tinkering, but I might
>> give it a go if I get *really* annoyed with the pointless icon. I expect
>> someone will come up with a ready made hack before long.
>>
>> Cheers,

> I can't help wondering why you bother with a MODERN computer system at
> all......
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

'BOTHER' -- as these columns are witness -- being the operative word.
'MODERN' generally being nothing more than adding endless guff nobody needs,
just to waste memory and time.