Favicons in IE History Drop Down Menu ???

Youka

Favicons in IE History Drop Down Menu ???
Aren't favicons supposed to be displayed next to each URL in the IE7 History
drop down window?

When I click on the down arrow at the end of the IE7 address bar, all web
sites that I've visited are displayed, but the favicon for each site has been
replaced by the generic internet explorer blue 'E'.

NOTE: When I type a URL into the IE7 Address Bar, the favicon for the web
site is displayed properly. It only gets "replaced" in the IE History drop
down window.

Any suggestions, regarding how to fix ??? Or has the IE History drop down
window always displayed sites in this manner -- without the favicon ???

All favicons in my "Favorites" file are fine.
D. Spencer Hines

Re: Favicons In IE7 History Drop Down Menu ???
Yep...

That was one of my minor gripes with IE7 too.

I tried it three times -- and uninstalled it three times...

Finally saying the hell with it...

But I lost the favicons in my Favorites List too.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Aren't favicons supposed to be displayed next to each URL in the IE7
> History
> drop down window?
>
> When I click on the down arrow at the end of the IE7 address bar, all web
> sites that I've visited are displayed, but the favicon for each site has
> been
> replaced by the generic internet explorer blue 'E'.
>
> NOTE: When I type a URL into the IE7 Address Bar, the favicon for the web
> site is displayed properly. It only gets "replaced" in the IE History
> drop
> down window.
>
> Any suggestions, regarding how to fix ??? Or has the IE History drop
> down
> window always displayed sites in this manner -- without the favicon ???
>
> All favicons in my "Favorites" file are fine.

D. Spencer Hines

Re: Favicons In IE7 History Drop Down Menu ???
Yep...

That was one of my minor gripes with IE7 too.

I tried it three times -- and uninstalled it three times...

Finally saying the hell with it...

But I lost the favicons in my Favorites List too.

They were restored when I rolled back to IE6.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Vires et Honor

"Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Aren't favicons supposed to be displayed next to each URL in the IE7
> History drop down window?
>
> When I click on the down arrow at the end of the IE7 address bar, all web
> sites that I've visited are displayed, but the favicon for each site has
> been replaced by the generic internet explorer blue 'E'.
>
> NOTE: When I type a URL into the IE7 Address Bar, the favicon for the web
> site is displayed properly. It only gets "replaced" in the IE History
> drop down window.
>
> Any suggestions, regarding how to fix ??? Or has the IE History drop
> down window always displayed sites in this manner -- without the favicon
> ???
>
> All favicons in my "Favorites" file are fine.

Youka

Re: Favicons In IE7 History Drop Down Menu ???
If I'm hearing you correctly, it sounds like my Favicon problem (as described
above) is not unique, but is common to all IE7 users.

I guess I just never noticed it before, and was hoping that it was something
on my end that could be fixed.

FYI: I had to restore my "Favorites" Favicons once, and AM-DeadLink
(available at http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm ) did the trick nicely --
essentially a one-click "Check bookmarks and restore Favicons" operation. You
may want to try it if the problem with your Favicons arises again.
D. Spencer Hines

Re: Favicons In IE7 History Drop Down Menu ???
Thanks...

I'll remember that and keep this message on file.
--

> If I'm hearing you correctly, it sounds like my Favicon problem (as
> described
> above) is not unique, but is common to all IE7 users.
>
> I guess I just never noticed it before, and was hoping that it was
> something
> on my end that could be fixed.
>
> FYI: I had to restore my "Favorites" Favicons once, and AM-DeadLink
> (available at http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm ) did the trick
> nicely --
> essentially a one-click "Check bookmarks and restore Favicons" operation.
> You
> may want to try it if the problem with your Favicons arises again.

Youka

Re: Favicons In IE7 History Drop Down Menu ???
Problem Solved (albeit in a round about manner).

After reading the comment above, I uninstalled/re-installed IE7, and the
problem was resolved -- or so I thought.

However, when I logged back on this AM, the problem was back -- all favicons
in the IE7 address drop down window had again been replaced by the generic
'E'.

WTF ????

It occurred to me that my Temporary Internet File folder (where these IE7
favicons are apparently saved) was being emptied automatically when I closed
my browser and/or rebooted my PC.

So I checked my IE Settings, but the option to "Empty Temporary Files Folder
When Browser IS Closed" was missing. See |Tools|Internet Options|Advanced
Tab|Security|

This led me to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/persistent.htm which provides a
"cache.reg" fix to restore this option.

Once the registry fix was downloaded/installed, I was able to UNCHECK the
box next to "Empty Temporary Files Folder When Browser IS Closed" (which was
now visible) and the problem was resolved.

Hope this info helps someone else, since I believe I read that some folks
were experiencing a similar problem with IE8. True ????

In my travels, I also found a nice little cleanup utility called IEHistoryX
at http://www.585soft.com/iehistoryx.asp that (among other things) let's you
delete Typed URLs via a registry edit -- which means that you can cleanup the
URL entries that are displayed in the IE7 Address drop down window on a
one-by-one basis.
Richard

Re: Favicons In IE7 History Drop Down Menu ???
"Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Aren't favicons supposed to be displayed next to each URL in the IE7
> History
> drop down window?
>
> When I click on the down arrow at the end of the IE7 address bar, all web
> sites that I've visited are displayed, but the favicon for each site has
> been
> replaced by the generic internet explorer blue 'E'.
>
> NOTE: When I type a URL into the IE7 Address Bar, the favicon for the web
> site is displayed properly. It only gets "replaced" in the IE History
> drop
> down window.
>
> Any suggestions, regarding how to fix ??? Or has the IE History drop
> down
> window always displayed sites in this manner -- without the favicon ???
>
> All favicons in my "Favorites" file are fine.

The "favicon.ico" files get deleted when you clear your Temporary Internet
Files cache.

> In my travels, I also found a nice little cleanup utility called
> IEHistoryX
> at http://www.585soft.com/iehistoryx.asp that (among other things) let's
> you
> delete Typed URLs via a registry edit -- which means that you can cleanup
> the
> URL entries that are displayed in the IE7 Address drop down window on a
> one-by-one basis.

On a one-by-one basis you can right-click the items in the History window,
choose Delete, and press Y to delete. Any items organized by folders can all
be eliminated by right-clicking the particular history sub-folder and
deleting. (Are you sure? Y/N/Duh!

To keep the favicons associated with bookmarks from disappearing when you
clear your Temporary Internet cache:
1. Create a folder such as: C:\WebStuff
2. Open "Temporary Internet files" folder and arrange icons by name, press F
to quickly goto files beginning with the letter F and locate "favicon.ico"
files.
3. One at a time, drag and drop favicon.ico files from that folder to your
WebStuff folder, and then rename as favicon_01.ico, favicon_02.ico, etc.
4. Access your Favorites display in your browser, right-click the bookmark
you want to change, choose Properties, and on the Web Document tab click
Change Icon. Browse to your WebStuff folder, choose the correct
favicon_##.ico file and open, then click OK twice to complete the change.

To access your Temporary Internet files from your browser:
Tools | Internet Options | General | Settings | View Files

(You're welcome.
--Richard

Youka

Re: Favicons In IE7 History Drop Down Menu ???
Thanks for the input Richard, but the Favicons that are displayed with my
"Favorites" (aka Bookmarks) and in my "History" weren't what I was referring
to.

I guess I did a poor job of explaining, so let me try again.

When I click the down arrow at the end of the IE 7 Address Bar window, a
list of previously visitied web sites is displayed in the drop down window,
along with the associated "Favicon" for each site.

Within a day or two, these favicons are replaced by the generic 'e', and I'm
just trying to understand why, since I haven't cleared my cache -- and the
expiration date for these "favicon.ico" files (in my Temporary Internet Files
folder) is NONE.

I'm just trying to understand why, since this is only a problem with
Internet Explorer -- no such problem with Firefox.

NOTE: I solved the problem that you described a long time ago with the
Favorg utility.
Robert Aldwinckle

"Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A417612-6266-45D4-8F16-E17846C99DD7@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the input Richard, but the Favicons that are displayed with my
> "Favorites" (aka Bookmarks) and in my "History" weren't what I was referring
> to.
>
> I guess I did a poor job of explaining, so let me try again.
>

> When I click the down arrow at the end of the IE 7 Address Bar window, a
> list of previously visitied web sites is displayed in the drop down window,
> along with the associated "Favicon" for each site.

In fact, in IE7 what you are using is known as the TypedURLs list
and not really related to your History at all.

> Within a day or two, these favicons are replaced by the generic 'e', and I'm
> just trying to understand why, since I haven't cleared my cache -- and the
> expiration date for these "favicon.ico" files (in my Temporary Internet Files
> folder) is NONE.

Well, are they in your History? Depending on how often you add new
entries to TypedURLs versus how often your History (e.g. Ctrl-h) changes,
they could be out of synch. If the rendering of the icon depends on the
presence of the URL in your History, not having it there would explain
your symptom.

> I'm just trying to understand why, since this is only a problem with
> Internet Explorer -- no such problem with Firefox.

Apples and Oranges? Does Firefox use TypedURLs?

> NOTE: I solved the problem that you described a long time ago with the
> Favorg utility.

Is that still working? I had read that Favorg might have a problem with
some new implementation for favicons in IE7...

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/1004380261.aspx

<quote>
FavOrg's author did investigate the possibility of updating FavOrg to work
with IE7, but came to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time
</quote>

Oh. And this has reminded me of another possibility...

<quote>
Apparently, IE7 periodically (during "idle time", perhaps?) goes through
your entire Favorites list, retrieving and setting favicons
</quote>

Is the URL in question actually a Favorite? If so, and there is such a visit
and the host does not respond, perhaps that would be enough to cause
the Favorite's favicon to be deleted? In fact, favicons for Favorites are
also stored in NTFS stream files under the Favorites subfolder but I have
never detected those images actually being used. It has always looked
like WIP to me. I asked (repeatedly) for some clarification about
the new implementation without result.

Related to this you should also be considering whether you ever look at
the History item for the URL you have your problem symptom with.
E.g. there is known bug in IE7's History which causes the Last Accessed
value always to change. If this happens because of the rendering of the
site's favicon and an actual download for it is requested (e.g. due to your
cache-checking option being Every time I visit...) and it fails, then
similarly that might result in the deletion of the site's favicon.
You could try some of the diagnostics that I suggested to other posters
who supposedly were interested in uncovering more quirks about IE7's
favicon implementaton, e.g. Run... FileMon filtering on *fav*
Running Fiddler2 concurrently would also help make it clearer
when favicons were being fetched from the web versus from the TIF.

On top of all that I bet that IE7 still has the longstanding issue about
deleting items from the TIF seemingly randomly but I haven't checked
on this since IE6. Let's see what David Pochron is doing these days...

http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/index.html

(via Live Search for
pochron cachesentry
)

<quote>
As for my thoughts on IE7, its caching pretty much works the same
as it did with IE6. It tends to remove files that are oldest but skips
large chunks of them and can remove many newer files as well.
</quote>

I used to use his CacheMonitor tool to understand how the TIF
was being (ab)used by IE. You could try it too to see if that's
how your favicons are going.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Richard

> "Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the input Richard, but the Favicons that are displayed with my
>> "Favorites" (aka Bookmarks) and in my "History" weren't what I was
>> referring
>> to.
>>
>> I guess I did a poor job of explaining, so let me try again.
>>

>> When I click the down arrow at the end of the IE 7 Address Bar window, a
>> list of previously visitied web sites is displayed in the drop down
>> window,
>> along with the associated "Favicon" for each site.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

> In fact, in IE7 what you are using is known as the TypedURLs list
> and not really related to your History at all.

Thanks for your clarification too.
(I usually paste, rather than tYpE.

There is one connection between History and the "TypedURLs",
in this from IE6 Help:

: URLs, deleting previous Address bar entries

: To delete Autocomplete entries from the Address bar list

: The AutoComplete feature saves previous entries you've made for Web
: addresses, forms, and passwords. To delete entries from the Address bar,
: you must clear your History folder. You cannot clear individual entries
: from the list of saved entries.

: On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
: Click the General tab.
: Under History, click Clear History.

: * Notes
: • When typing information in Web forms, and typing passwords, you can
: remove an item from the list of suggestions by clicking the item and
: then pressing the DELETE key.

Also:

: To adjust AutoComplete settings

: You can configure AutoComplete to save and suggest only the information
: you want. You can choose whether to use AutoComplete for Web addresses,
: forms, and passwords, or not use it all. You can also clear the history
: for any of these.

: 1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
: 2. Click the Content tab.
: 3. Under Personal information, click AutoComplete.
: 4. Select the check boxes for the AutoComplete options you want to use.
[end Help]

FWIW.
--Richard