MSIE8, Vista sidebar.exe, and Weather Gadget

Xam

MSIE8, Vista sidebar.exe, and Weather Gadget
On a previous installation of Vista SP1 x64, I installed IE8 RTW by
downloading the installer from Microsoft's website. I experienced the
problems described below with (1) sidebar.exe and (2) the weather gadget
which is included with Vista. Since then, I've had to repave my system for
other reasons. I really want to install IE8; and particularly now that I'm
seeing IE8 as an update, I want to know if anybody else has seen the same
problems and found some solutions.

(1) sidebar.exe in general: sidebar.exe spiked to take 100% of a CPU core
and froze intermittently. I *think* (although I'm not sure) that it was only
maxing out one core at a time, indicating that there was a single thread
running out of control. I was only running widgets that came with Vista:
Weather, clock, and CPU/RAM meter.

(2) Weather Gadget 1.1.0.0 obviously uses some HTML/CSS which is
incompatible with IE8's improved, standards-compliant engine. The elements
of the widget were misaligned, and there was a purple fringe around the edge.
I can't be much more specific because, unfortunately, a catastrophic
hardware failure intervened.

My system is pretty much stock Microsoft gear: Vista SP1 x64 with all
critical updates, no weird add-ons or gadgets which might conceivably
interfere with sidebar/weather/&c.

IE8 has a better browser engine generally than any other I've seen on the
market; I'm running it on other systems. And I really do like Vista.
Please, somebody, tell me that there's a way to make sidebar.exe and the
nifty little Weather Gadget coöperate with IE8! I don't want to be stuck
with bad old IE7 on this machine.

Thanks,

Xam

RalfG

Re: MSIE8, Vista sidebar.exe, and Weather Gadget

"Xam" <Xam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a previous installation of Vista SP1 x64, I installed IE8 RTW by
> downloading the installer from Microsoft's website. I experienced the
> problems described below with (1) sidebar.exe and (2) the weather gadget
> which is included with Vista. Since then, I've had to repave my system
> for
> other reasons. I really want to install IE8; and particularly now that
> I'm
> seeing IE8 as an update, I want to know if anybody else has seen the same
> problems and found some solutions.
>
> (1) sidebar.exe in general: sidebar.exe spiked to take 100% of a CPU core
> and froze intermittently. I *think* (although I'm not sure) that it was
> only
> maxing out one core at a time, indicating that there was a single thread
> running out of control. I was only running widgets that came with Vista:
> Weather, clock, and CPU/RAM meter.
>
> (2) Weather Gadget 1.1.0.0 obviously uses some HTML/CSS which is
> incompatible with IE8's improved, standards-compliant engine. The
> elements
> of the widget were misaligned, and there was a purple fringe around the
> edge.
> I can't be much more specific because, unfortunately, a catastrophic
> hardware failure intervened.
>
> My system is pretty much stock Microsoft gear: Vista SP1 x64 with all
> critical updates, no weird add-ons or gadgets which might conceivably
> interfere with sidebar/weather/&c.
>
> IE8 has a better browser engine generally than any other I've seen on the
> market; I'm running it on other systems. And I really do like Vista.
> Please, somebody, tell me that there's a way to make sidebar.exe and the
> nifty little Weather Gadget coöperate with IE8! I don't want to be stuck
> with bad old IE7 on this machine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xam

Been running IE8 in Vista HP 32bit and haven't seen any of those issues with
Sidebar or the Weather gadget in particular. Certain gadgets I've tried do
tend to use a lot of resources even with IE7, but not near the 100% CPU
mark. If it is a 64bit OS issue, have you considered trying a 32bit
version of IE8 instead?

FWIW aside from several other alternative weather gadgets you could try
there is also one that is nearly identical to the stock MS weather gadget --
iWeather 2.02. The only visible difference between the two is optional time
and date display, the size and graphics are identical. Some of the others
are more detailed (larger) but I found their incessant updates irritating.
:-)

You may consider your current IE add-ons as ordinary but that doesn't
guarantee that all of the existing ones are compatible with IE8. Safest bet
is to uninstall the current add-ons before installing IE8. I went so far as
to delete all of the downloaded Java files and uninstall the runtime to make
sure any old junk was gone. 3rd party software that hooks into the browser
(AV, pop-up monitors, anti-spyware) might also have compatibility issues to
watch out for. SpyBot S&D's (possibly others too) browser inoculation causes
a major slow-down in IE and subsequent tab opening. If you use it, best to
Undo the inoculation and disable that feature before upgrading to IE8.

Donald Anadell

Re: MSIE8, Vista sidebar.exe, and Weather Gadget

"Xam" <Xam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a previous installation of Vista SP1 x64, I installed IE8 RTW by
> downloading the installer from Microsoft's website. I experienced the
> problems described below with (1) sidebar.exe and (2) the weather gadget
> which is included with Vista. Since then, I've had to repave my system
> for
> other reasons. I really want to install IE8; and particularly now that
> I'm
> seeing IE8 as an update, I want to know if anybody else has seen the same
> problems and found some solutions.
>
> (1) sidebar.exe in general: sidebar.exe spiked to take 100% of a CPU core
> and froze intermittently. I *think* (although I'm not sure) that it was
> only
> maxing out one core at a time, indicating that there was a single thread
> running out of control. I was only running widgets that came with Vista:
> Weather, clock, and CPU/RAM meter.

The only two workarounds that I've seen posted for you problem with the
Sidebar is to:

1. Reset you DPI settings to Vista's default setting of 96
2. Remove the System Clock from the Sidebar

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> (2) Weather Gadget 1.1.0.0 obviously uses some HTML/CSS which is
> incompatible with IE8's improved, standards-compliant engine. The
> elements
> of the widget were misaligned, and there was a purple fringe around the
> edge.
> I can't be much more specific because, unfortunately, a catastrophic
> hardware failure intervened.
>
> My system is pretty much stock Microsoft gear: Vista SP1 x64 with all
> critical updates, no weird add-ons or gadgets which might conceivably
> interfere with sidebar/weather/&c.
>
> IE8 has a better browser engine generally than any other I've seen on the
> market; I'm running it on other systems. And I really do like Vista.
> Please, somebody, tell me that there's a way to make sidebar.exe and the
> nifty little Weather Gadget coperate with IE8! I don't want to be stuck
> with bad old IE7 on this machine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xam

Xam

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Xam" <Xam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

[snip]
> > (1) sidebar.exe in general: sidebar.exe spiked to take 100% of a CPU core
> > and froze intermittently. I *think* (although I'm not sure) that it was
> > only
> > maxing out one core at a time, indicating that there was a single thread
> > running out of control. I was only running widgets that came with Vista:
> > Weather, clock, and CPU/RAM meter.

> The only two workarounds that I've seen posted for you problem with the
> Sidebar is to:
>
> 1. Reset you DPI settings to Vista's default setting of 96
> 2. Remove the System Clock from the Sidebar

Thanks for your reply.

Since this seems to be an issue known on the Internet, does anybody know if
Microsoft has confirmed it and assigned a KBID? A search of
support.microsoft.com seems to turn up nothing relevant (and indeed, "Windows
Internet Explorer 8" isn't even on the short-list of advanced search[1]).

I could live without the clock gadget; but I'm one of those people who
believes that an inch is an inch and 1 point (Adobe bp) is 1/72 of a physical
inch. If 1 (traditional) point on-screen equals greater or less than
absolutely 1/72.27 of a physical inch, I go into a trance and repeatedly
murmur ``ERROR, does not compute''. Besides, my eyes couldn't take the tiny
fonts. Setting 96dpi on a screen of physical proportions other than 96dpi is
therefore as manifestly unacceptable as playing an 11KHz sound file at
physical speed of 44.1KHz. It distorts output linearly, results in
unusability, and is morally wrong.

Microsoft, you know the importance of DPI accuracy; look to the E7 blog[2]!
If this is a reproducible issue---as evidently it is---please produce a
hotfix. Issues such as this may hinder adoption of what could, in practical
terms, be the single most important web browser development in five years;
and if this specific issue is encouraging people to set incorrect DPI (as
again is evident), it could further inculcate a common user/developer error
which has been set as a goal to overcome in Windows 7.

Don't make people choose between any two of MSIE8, Vista's nifty sidebar,
and the natural imperative of an inch being an inch.

Thanks in advance,

Xam

[1] One must navigate to:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?spid=13418&adv=1

[2] E.g.:
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...esolution.aspx

Xam

"RalfG" wrote:

> "Xam" <Xam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On a previous installation of Vista SP1 x64, I installed IE8 RTW by
> > downloading the installer from Microsoft's website. I experienced the
> > problems described below with (1) sidebar.exe and (2) the weather gadget
> > which is included with Vista. Since then, I've had to repave my system
> > for
> > other reasons. I really want to install IE8; and particularly now that
> > I'm
> > seeing IE8 as an update, I want to know if anybody else has seen the same
> > problems and found some solutions.
> >
> > (1) sidebar.exe in general: sidebar.exe spiked to take 100% of a CPU core
> > and froze intermittently. I *think* (although I'm not sure) that it was
> > only
> > maxing out one core at a time, indicating that there was a single thread
> > running out of control. I was only running widgets that came with Vista:
> > Weather, clock, and CPU/RAM meter.
> >
> > (2) Weather Gadget 1.1.0.0 obviously uses some HTML/CSS which is
> > incompatible with IE8's improved, standards-compliant engine. The
> > elements
> > of the widget were misaligned, and there was a purple fringe around the
> > edge.
> > I can't be much more specific because, unfortunately, a catastrophic
> > hardware failure intervened.
> >
> > My system is pretty much stock Microsoft gear: Vista SP1 x64 with all
> > critical updates, no weird add-ons or gadgets which might conceivably
> > interfere with sidebar/weather/&c.

[snip]
> Been running IE8 in Vista HP 32bit and haven't seen any of those issues with
> Sidebar or the Weather gadget in particular. Certain gadgets I've tried do
> tend to use a lot of resources even with IE7, but not near the 100% CPU
> mark. If it is a 64bit OS issue, have you considered trying a 32bit
> version of IE8 instead?

Is this even possible? Although I'm not an expert in Windows/MSIE
internals, I am under the impression that the 64-bit installer delivers both
32- and 64-bit versions (since many undeservedly popular add-ons don't have
64-bit versions---I'm looking at you, Adobe). Getting a 32-bit version
running would therefore have no effect on the DLLs installed on the system;
it's there by default, and sidebar.exe (which does *not* run in WOW64) can
choose whatever it wants.

As to running the installer for the 32-bit version on my production x64
system and hoping it doesn't break my 64-bit sidebar, 64-bit Windows
Explorer, and other 64-bit programs which hook MSIE libraries deep in their
internals---I'll pass.

[...]
> You may consider your current IE add-ons as ordinary but that doesn't
> guarantee that all of the existing ones are compatible with IE8. Safest bet
> is to uninstall the current add-ons before installing IE8. I went so far as

[snip]

When I said my setup is (ordinary) ``stock Microsoft'', I meant it. *Zero*
add-ons that don't come out-of-the-box with a clean Vista install. Not even
Adobe Flash (ugh). No 0xCAFEBABEs. Certainly no Spybot, no crazy
anti-virus---just lean, mean, add-on free IE.

Yes, I am oftentimes left to wonder why people complain about IE being so
slow...

Xam

RalfG

Re: MSIE8, Vista sidebar.exe, and Weather Gadget
Replied inline.

> "RalfG" wrote:
>

>> "Xam" <Xam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On a previous installation of Vista SP1 x64, I installed IE8 RTW by
>> > downloading the installer from Microsoft's website. I experienced the
>> > problems described below with (1) sidebar.exe and (2) the weather
>> > gadget
>> > which is included with Vista. Since then, I've had to repave my system
>> > for
>> > other reasons. I really want to install IE8; and particularly now that
>> > I'm
>> > seeing IE8 as an update, I want to know if anybody else has seen the
>> > same
>> > problems and found some solutions.
>> >
>> > (1) sidebar.exe in general: sidebar.exe spiked to take 100% of a CPU
>> > core
>> > and froze intermittently. I *think* (although I'm not sure) that it
>> > was
>> > only
>> > maxing out one core at a time, indicating that there was a single
>> > thread
>> > running out of control. I was only running widgets that came with
>> > Vista:
>> > Weather, clock, and CPU/RAM meter.
>> >
>> > (2) Weather Gadget 1.1.0.0 obviously uses some HTML/CSS which is
>> > incompatible with IE8's improved, standards-compliant engine. The
>> > elements
>> > of the widget were misaligned, and there was a purple fringe around the
>> > edge.
>> > I can't be much more specific because, unfortunately, a catastrophic
>> > hardware failure intervened.
>> >
>> > My system is pretty much stock Microsoft gear: Vista SP1 x64 with all
>> > critical updates, no weird add-ons or gadgets which might conceivably
>> > interfere with sidebar/weather/&c.

> [snip]
>> Been running IE8 in Vista HP 32bit and haven't seen any of those issues
>> with
>> Sidebar or the Weather gadget in particular. Certain gadgets I've tried
>> do
>> tend to use a lot of resources even with IE7, but not near the 100% CPU
>> mark. If it is a 64bit OS issue, have you considered trying a 32bit
>> version of IE8 instead?

> Is this even possible? Although I'm not an expert in Windows/MSIE

I'm not in a position to try it myself, seems moot anyway if the 32bit
version is already present.

> internals, I am under the impression that the 64-bit installer delivers
> both
> 32- and 64-bit versions (since many undeservedly popular add-ons don't
> have

Just so.

> 64-bit versions---I'm looking at you, Adobe). Getting a 32-bit version
> running would therefore have no effect on the DLLs installed on the
> system;

DLLs can be present on the system but they aren't necessarily loaded until
some app calls for them. IE being so integrated
into the system that may well include all of the relevant DLLs. Still, this
isn't apparently a situation where everybody with Vista 64 has these same
issues after IE8 is installed.. so what is the difference between those that
do and those that don't.

> it's there by default, and sidebar.exe (which does *not* run in WOW64) can
> choose whatever it wants.
>
> As to running the installer for the 32-bit version on my production x64
> system and hoping it doesn't break my 64-bit sidebar, 64-bit Windows
> Explorer, and other 64-bit programs which hook MSIE libraries deep in
> their
> internals---I'll pass.

Nothing ventured, nothing lost. But another possibility presents itself.
Apparently you can have your 64bit Vista run a 32 bit sidebar. Its already
in the system. Instructions to enable it on this page:

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnm/archive/...bit-vista.aspx

> [...]
>> You may consider your current IE add-ons as ordinary but that doesn't
>> guarantee that all of the existing ones are compatible with IE8. Safest
>> bet
>> is to uninstall the current add-ons before installing IE8. I went so far
>> as

> [snip]
>
> When I said my setup is (ordinary) ``stock Microsoft'', I meant it.
> *Zero*
> add-ons that don't come out-of-the-box with a clean Vista install. Not
> even
> Adobe Flash (ugh). No 0xCAFEBABEs. Certainly no Spybot, no crazy
> anti-virus---just lean, mean, add-on free IE.

Some other x64 Vista Sidebar related fixes to try then; re-registering 3
specific files, enabling print spooler.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-disc...-problems.html

> Yes, I am oftentimes left to wonder why people complain about IE being so
> slow...

Ump**** thousand restricted sites, each page scanned by AV, 3 different
anti-spyware, 4 pop-up blockers, anti-phishing filters, ad blockers, worm
detection, etc. etc. etc. plus 5 handy time-saving toolbars to boot! ;-)