Re: Installing IE8 and KB93823

[X-post to IE General]

(Are you and KABOYPI the same poster?)

That's KB932823, not KB93823, and it was included in the *final release* of
WinXP SP3 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480). This leads me to
suspect that you've got a beta build of SP3 installed. Let's find out:

Start | Run | (type) winver | [OK]

Carefully write down the second line of text displayed in the resulting
window then post that information in a reply to this thread.
--
~PA Bear

Jonathan wrote:
> Here is the link in question:
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> KB93823 is not a KB article or update. (There should be 6, not 5,
>> numbers.) Wanna try again?
>>
>> Are you running WinXP SP3? Any chance a beta build of SP3 is installed?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> KABOYPI wrote:
>>> I attempted to install IE8 but it told me that it needed to install an
>>> update of Windows XP. It tried to install it automatically, before IE8,
>>> but
>>> it failed and suggested that I install it manually. I download the file
>>> (KB93823-v3-x86-ENU.exe) and tried to install it myself. It started and
>>> after a short while it came back with the fallowing message:
>>>
>>> “Setup has detected that the service pack version of the system I newer
>>> than
>>> the update you are trying to apply. There is no need to install the
>>> update.
>>> “
>>>
>>> How do I get out of this vicious cycle?
>>>
>>> Here are some additional data:
>>> 1) I have service pack 3.
>>> 2) When I go to windows update site, I am told that there is no update
>>> be
>>> installed
>>> 3) The above took place after I uninstalled the Zone-Alarm suite
>>> (firewall,
>>> antivirus and anti-spyware) suspecting that it was blocking the update,
>>> which related to malicious software.
>>> 4) The same vicious cycle took place earlier when Zone-Alarm wanted to
>>> install an update of it and it needed to install the KB93823 update.
>>> Then,
>>> as well, KB93823 did not install for the same reason and presented the
>>> same
>>> message about SP3.
>>>
>>> THANKS

Jonathan

Re: Installing IE8 and KB93823
No, we are not the same poster, but we are having an identical problem, and I
can't help but wonder if he's not got the same problem.

Here is what version I'm running:

Microsoft Windows
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpxp.071130-1427 : Service Pack 3, v.3264)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [X-post to IE General]
>
> (Are you and KABOYPI the same poster?)
>
> That's KB932823, not KB93823, and it was included in the *final release* of
> WinXP SP3 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480). This leads me to
> suspect that you've got a beta build of SP3 installed. Let's find out:
>
> Start | Run | (type) winver | [OK]
>
> Carefully write down the second line of text displayed in the resulting
> window then post that information in a reply to this thread.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Jonathan wrote:
> > Here is the link in question:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> KB93823 is not a KB article or update. (There should be 6, not 5,
> >> numbers.) Wanna try again?
> >>
> >> Are you running WinXP SP3? Any chance a beta build of SP3 is installed?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Installing IE8 and KB93823
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post. Thanks.