Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009
Stephen.
 

Posts: n/a
IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in
When adding multiple favorites to a sub-directory, the create-in is being
forgotton between adds, and resetting to the default Favorites.

This 'remember last' function worked in IE7, and I note it was considered
for a feature in IE8 at the URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...24_ez_ie8.mspx
search on page for 'last create in'

This omission means I will go back to IE7. (No response required.)

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009
Pamela
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Add to favorites -> last create in
Donald
thankyou i got it working you are a great help
when I download ie8 it must taking it away when i remove ie8 another
question when I download ie8 my norton's in the side bar says fix now
how come?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Add to favorites -> last create in
[you replied to the wrong thread!]

Pamela wrote:
> Donald
> thankyou i got it working you are a great help
> when I download ie8 it must taking it away when i remove ie8 another
> question when I download ie8 my norton's in the side bar says fix now
> how come?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2009
FEhrhardt
 

Posts: n/a
RE: IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in
Ah Microsoft, if you only had a brain...

Your removal of the IE7 feature (remembering last-used Favs folder) is
astonishing. I challenge anyone in MSFT or MVPs to defend this gaffe.

I'm trying IE8 on one machine and this screwup alone may convince me to go
back to IE7. Anyone in MSFT care to comment?

"Stephen." wrote:

> When adding multiple favorites to a sub-directory, the create-in is being
> forgotton between adds, and resetting to the default Favorites.
>
> This 'remember last' function worked in IE7, and I note it was considered
> for a feature in IE8 at the URL:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...24_ez_ie8.mspx
> search on page for 'last create in'
>
> This omission means I will go back to IE7. (No response required.)
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
Rumer1
 

Posts: n/a
RE: IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in
This is so incredibly annoying. I searched IE8 for an hour thinking surely
there is an option somewhere to remember last Favorites folder (or subfolder)
selected. I'm also seriously considering going back to IE7 despite many
features I like in IE8.

"FEhrhardt" wrote:

> Ah Microsoft, if you only had a brain...
>
> Your removal of the IE7 feature (remembering last-used Favs folder) is
> astonishing. I challenge anyone in MSFT or MVPs to defend this gaffe.
>
> I'm trying IE8 on one machine and this screwup alone may convince me to go
> back to IE7. Anyone in MSFT care to comment?
>
> "Stephen." wrote:
>
> > When adding multiple favorites to a sub-directory, the create-in is being
> > forgotton between adds, and resetting to the default Favorites.
> >
> > This 'remember last' function worked in IE7, and I note it was considered
> > for a feature in IE8 at the URL:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...24_ez_ie8.mspx
> > search on page for 'last create in'
> >
> > This omission means I will go back to IE7. (No response required.)
> >
> > ----------------
> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in

"Rumer1" <Rumer1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8BB8FCC3-BB1B-4BE4-804B-F69BEF168B7C@microsoft.com...
> This is so incredibly annoying. I searched IE8 for an hour thinking
> surely
> there is an option somewhere to remember last Favorites folder (or
> subfolder)
> selected. I'm also seriously considering going back to IE7 despite many
> features I like in IE8.
>



Err there IS. Use the Favorites Sidebar. Of course, it won't remember the
last folder used if you end the IE session.....

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
Rumer1
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in
Thank you, however, I don't like to keep the sidebar (if you're talking about
the Favorites Center) pinned because it takes up too much of the screen.
I'll try it for a few days to see if it becomes less annoying though.

"Gordon" wrote:

>
> "Rumer1" <Rumer1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8BB8FCC3-BB1B-4BE4-804B-F69BEF168B7C@microsoft.com...
> > This is so incredibly annoying. I searched IE8 for an hour thinking
> > surely
> > there is an option somewhere to remember last Favorites folder (or
> > subfolder)
> > selected. I'm also seriously considering going back to IE7 despite many
> > features I like in IE8.
> >

>
>
> Err there IS. Use the Favorites Sidebar. Of course, it won't remember the
> last folder used if you end the IE session.....
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in

"Rumer1" <Rumer1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B836DA68-AF3C-4DBE-8C36-BB2BC8A467EC@microsoft.com...
> Thank you, however, I don't like to keep the sidebar (if you're talking
> about
> the Favorites Center) pinned because it takes up too much of the screen.
> I'll try it for a few days to see if it becomes less annoying though.
>


You don't need to keep it pinned. Just open it when you want to add a
favorite...

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
FEhrhardt
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in
This is a well-intentioned suggestion but IHMO it misses the point. After the
n-th incarnation of an app like IE, a core principle should be MAKE IT
EFFICIENT for the user. In IE7 (to which I have returned), if I am saving
multiple URLs to the same folder, for example when planning a vacation, I
make just two (2!!) keypresses: Ctrl+D, <enter>, and I'm done. The suggestion
below (a) requires mouse move and (b) is more than 2 actions. Yes, I could
drag&drop from the address bar to the folder. Yes I could do any number of
things. My rant has to do with MSFT providing an affordance in IE7 and then
destroying it in IE8.

"Gordon" wrote:

>
> "Rumer1" <Rumer1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B836DA68-AF3C-4DBE-8C36-BB2BC8A467EC@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you, however, I don't like to keep the sidebar (if you're talking
> > about
> > the Favorites Center) pinned because it takes up too much of the screen.
> > I'll try it for a few days to see if it becomes less annoying though.
> >

>
> You don't need to keep it pinned. Just open it when you want to add a
> favorite...
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009
Essexbiker
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8: Add to favorites -> last create in
I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about IE8 Favorites not remembering
the last folder when adding multiple sites because it takes so much longer to
have to keep scrolling down the list of folders to find the folder you want
to add them to every time! And I too am considering going back to IE7 for
this very reason.

But I visited this newsgroup to see if there was a solution and I thought I
read that if you open the Favorites SIDEBAR, you should be able to drag the
address from the address bar directly in to a folder on it - but how? I am
trying out the Windows 7 RC with IE8 and I can copy and paste the address
into a folder from the address bar. But I can't see how to just drag and drop
it?

Neither can I see how to get the Favorites SIDEBAR to add sites to the last
folder used because when I click the Add to Favorites button, it still opens
up the "Add a favorite" box where it stil forces me to scroll down the
annoyingly expanded folders list to select the folder I wish to save it to!

Adding sites to the Favorites BAR (the old LINKS bar) is easy enough as most
people only put their most frequently visited sites in there and do not
necessarily need to use folders.

But as others have said, having to try and figure out how to use these
workarounds to add multiple sites to the same folder in IE8 Favorites quickly
and easily would not be necessary if IE8 worked the same as IE7 and
automatically remembered the last folder used! Haven't Microsoft heard the
phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"? They need to remember that most of
its customers are NOT particularly technically minded - and that they
shouldn't need to be just to be able to use IE!

--
HP Pavillion system model FR612AA-ABU a6632uk. AMD Phenom(tm) 8550
Triple-Core Processor. 3gb RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS graphics card. Vista
Home Premium SP2.


"Gordon" wrote:

>
> "Rumer1" <Rumer1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8BB8FCC3-BB1B-4BE4-804B-F69BEF168B7C@microsoft.com...
> > This is so incredibly annoying. I searched IE8 for an hour thinking
> > surely
> > there is an option somewhere to remember last Favorites folder (or
> > subfolder)
> > selected. I'm also seriously considering going back to IE7 despite many
> > features I like in IE8.
> >

>
>
> Err there IS. Use the Favorites Sidebar. Of course, it won't remember the
> last folder used if you end the IE session.....



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Vista Cannot create dialup/VPN connections "The wizard cannot create the connection" licensetokill007 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 14 04-27-2009 09:52
IE 8 rtm Importing favorites from firefox creates favorites in roo Yli microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 03-21-2009 19:46
Add favorites using button adds to favorites bar instead of dropdo Sakemura microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 09-10-2008 08:01
Unspecified Error when trying to create a Favorites link Matthew Armshaw microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 07-07-2008 11:20
Vista Explorer Create New Item Not Visible on Create - Bug or Feature??? Leightym@msn.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-21-2007 21:36




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120