Organize Favorites question

bill allemann

Organize Favorites question
Using IE7 and now IE8, I've always had problems getting the list of
favorites to display correctly.
When I go into the "Organize Favorites" window, it seems that drag & drop is
the only way to effect the display order of shortcuts and folders. As far
as I have seen though, the interface is so primitive, I can't tell what is
going on with the cursor icon and positioning. If I try to move a folder
to a position, say, between two other folders, it is near impossible to tell
where the folder will end up. The move I'm describing here is not a change
in the hierarchy level, but simply the display order in the favorites
window. Generally with drag & drop, the folder will land inside one of the
adjacent folders. The cursor icons that are probably supposed to predict
upcoming actions are undecipherable.
Is there a way to control the favorites display without using the pathetic
"Organize Favorites" window?

bill allemann

Re: Organize Favorites question
forgot to mention ... using XP sp3

"bill allemann" <custom4173@sbcglobal.netINVALID> wrote in message
> Using IE7 and now IE8, I've always had problems getting the list of
> favorites to display correctly.
> When I go into the "Organize Favorites" window, it seems that drag & drop
> is the only way to effect the display order of shortcuts and folders. As
> far as I have seen though, the interface is so primitive, I can't tell
> what is going on with the cursor icon and positioning. If I try to move
> a folder to a position, say, between two other folders, it is near
> impossible to tell where the folder will end up. The move I'm describing
> here is not a change in the hierarchy level, but simply the display order
> in the favorites window. Generally with drag & drop, the folder will land
> inside one of the adjacent folders. The cursor icons that are probably
> supposed to predict upcoming actions are undecipherable.
> Is there a way to control the favorites display without using the pathetic
> "Organize Favorites" window?

KCB

Re: Organize Favorites question

"bill allemann" <custom4173@sbcglobal.netINVALID> wrote in message
> Using IE7 and now IE8, I've always had problems getting the list of
> favorites to display correctly.
> When I go into the "Organize Favorites" window, it seems that drag &
> drop is the only way to effect the display order of shortcuts and
> folders. As far as I have seen though, the interface is so primitive,
> I can't tell what is going on with the cursor icon and positioning.
> If I try to move a folder to a position, say, between two other
> folders, it is near impossible to tell where the folder will end up.
> The move I'm describing here is not a change in the hierarchy level,
> but simply the display order in the favorites window. Generally with
> drag & drop, the folder will land inside one of the adjacent folders.
> The cursor icons that are probably supposed to predict upcoming
> actions are undecipherable.
> Is there a way to control the favorites display without using the
> pathetic "Organize Favorites" window?

When I use the drag and drop, there is a window-wide horizontal bar that
appears when I am hovering the dragged folder between other folders.
When I am on top of another folder, there is a fade effect that shows
which folder I am dropping it into. A circle with a line through it
will appear if I try to drop a folder into itself, or when dropping one
entry directly onto another (excluding folders). They are fairly
obvious and easy to see. For some reason, yours isn't displaying
properly.

bill allemann

Re: Organize Favorites question
I checked on my desktop machine and you are correct about the visibility of
the icons, etc.
My laptop, however, has nearly no useable visibility on these controls,
which is somewhat curious because it has a fairly high end video card that
is similar to the one on the desktop machine. I use solid modeling apps on
both machines.
I'm thinking the easy work around is to switch to Firefox, which looks fine
on the laptop.

Thanks