Sharepoint explorer view fails in IE8 (WSS 3.0)

Ed Hall

Sharepoint explorer view fails in IE8 (WSS 3.0)
Hi all,

We have hit a snag using Vista / IE8/ SharePoint WSS 3.0.

The explorer view on a document library fails to load, and instead the
following useful message is displayed:
"Please wait while Explorer View is loaded. If Explorer View does not
appear, your browser may not support it".
I can confirm that all is fine using IE7.

Using compatibility mode in IE8 does not solve. Adding URL to local Intranet
in IE8 didn't solve.

A quick Google indicates lots of posts around the net on the same topic, so
seems a generic incompatibility and not limited to our configuration - based
on this I won't bore you all with the finer environment details. A search of
Microsoft's knowledgbase also didn't provide a solution.

As this would be a complete showstopper for IE8 in a corporate environment,
it would have been tested by MS and presumably passed. So what am I (and many
thousands of others based on the Google hits) doing wrong?

I note this was a complaint re the IE8 Beta by quite a few also, but can't
find any posted resolution.

Anybody know of a solution, or can confirm this is a IE8 without a solution?
Anybody have this combination working?

Ed Hall
MCDST, MCTS, MCITP.
Ed Hall

RE: Sharepoint explorer view fails in IE8 (WSS 3.0)
Slight update, the actual environment which doesn't work is:
Windows XP / IE8/ SharePoint WSS 3.0.

The Vista environment does work (although with different behaviour to Vista
with IE7 in that it opens explorere view in a seperate window rather than
embedded in the internet explorer window).

Now, this must be a hint to somebody smarter than me?