IE8 crashing immediately on launch.

uniCorn 27

IE8 crashing immediately on launch.
Hi all,

I've tried upgrading to IE8. The installation goes well. But after restart
when I launch IE8, the main browser opens for less then a second, then the
application quits. This happens each time I launch IE8. I have reverted
back to IE7 (which works fine) and attempted re-installation of IE8 four
times. Each time with the same result.

I am running no third-party firewall or anti-virus/spyware software.

I'm running: Windows XP Pro (SP3)

Any ideas anyone?
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 crashing immediately on launch.
Hi,
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"uniCorn 27" <uniCorn27[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried upgrading to IE8. The installation goes well. But after

restart
> when I launch IE8, the main browser opens for less then a second, then the
> application quits. This happens each time I launch IE8. I have reverted
> back to IE7 (which works fine) and attempted re-installation of IE8 four
> times. Each time with the same result.
>
> I am running no third-party firewall or anti-virus/spyware software.
>
> I'm running: Windows XP Pro (SP3)
>
> Any ideas anyone?

Re: IE8 crashing immediately on launch.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928427 (applies to IE8 and IE7)

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.