IE 8 - An Alternate View

Leonard Grey

IE 8 - An Alternate View
I upgraded my copy of Windows XP SP 3 to IE 8 earlier today, and it was
a piece of cake. I've been using the new browser for most of the
afternoon, with no problems at all.

I spent hours preparing for this upgrade, doing research on the web and
in the newsgroups. It paid off for me, and it can pay off for anyone.
--
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est
MK

RE: IE 8 - An Alternate View
Leonard, How clever you are! A clean install of XP, apply SP3, install IE 8,
yes, a fully functional browser!

Now install the newest version of Microsoft Money Plus for Home and Small
Business. Now attempt to print an invoice for your client from Money Plus.
Epic Microsoft Fail.

Now uninstall IE 8 and run IE 7 or IE 6. Print an invoice from Microsoft
Money Plus. Joy! You can print again!

IE 8 is NOT compatible with Microsoft Money Plus if you need to print
invoices.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I upgraded my copy of Windows XP SP 3 to IE 8 earlier today, and it was
> a piece of cake. I've been using the new browser for most of the
> afternoon, with no problems at all.
>
> I spent hours preparing for this upgrade, doing research on the web and
> in the newsgroups. It paid off for me, and it can pay off for anyone.
> --
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est

Re: IE 8 - An Alternate View
Sounds like MS Money Plus (or at least your version of it) is not supported
in IE8, to me...or all of your IE8 installs were 'horked'.

MK wrote:
> Leonard, How clever you are! A clean install of XP, apply SP3, install IE
> 8,
> yes, a fully functional browser!
>
> Now install the newest version of Microsoft Money Plus for Home and Small
> Business. Now attempt to print an invoice for your client from Money
> Plus.
> Epic Microsoft Fail.
>
> Now uninstall IE 8 and run IE 7 or IE 6. Print an invoice from Microsoft
> Money Plus. Joy! You can print again!
>
> IE 8 is NOT compatible with Microsoft Money Plus if you need to print
> invoices.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I upgraded my copy of Windows XP SP 3 to IE 8 earlier today, and it was
>> a piece of cake. I've been using the new browser for most of the
>> afternoon, with no problems at all.
>>
>> I spent hours preparing for this upgrade, doing research on the web and
>> in the newsgroups. It paid off for me, and it can pay off for anyone.
>> --
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 - An Alternate View
Did I say I performed a clean install? No, I did not.

Given your attitude, I'm not surprised your computer doesn't work.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

MK wrote:
> Leonard, How clever you are! A clean install of XP, apply SP3, install IE 8,
> yes, a fully functional browser!
>
> Now install the newest version of Microsoft Money Plus for Home and Small
> Business. Now attempt to print an invoice for your client from Money Plus.
> Epic Microsoft Fail.
>
> Now uninstall IE 8 and run IE 7 or IE 6. Print an invoice from Microsoft
> Money Plus. Joy! You can print again!
>
> IE 8 is NOT compatible with Microsoft Money Plus if you need to print
> invoices.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I upgraded my copy of Windows XP SP 3 to IE 8 earlier today, and it was
>> a piece of cake. I've been using the new browser for most of the
>> afternoon, with no problems at all.
>>
>> I spent hours preparing for this upgrade, doing research on the web and
>> in the newsgroups. It paid off for me, and it can pay off for anyone.
>> --
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est

MK

Re: IE 8 - An Alternate View
No, the IE8 install was perfect. The MS Money install was perfect. The
problem is that Microsoft has not released a patch to MS Money to fix it's
invoice printing issue. The MS Money product and development teams have gone
silent, with no new updates or product path announcements. The Money
software itself is notifying users that they will be losing product support
soon, but no official word yet from Microsoft on Money's fate or future.

I personally have tested clean installation scenarios of Vista Ultimate (32
bit) with SP1, Microsoft Money Plus for Home and Small Business (v
17.0.150.1415), IE 8. No other 3rd party software to remove any external
dependencies, and just running Microsoft products Money has a dependency on
the version of IE. It will produce invoices with IE 6 or 7, but not with IE 8
installed. I tried an alternate install based on XP Professional with SP3
and had the same results. Money can't work properly when IE8 is installed.

My frustration is that I can't benefit from the superior security model
available in IE8, because of my dependency on a legacy Microsoft application
that I purchased less than 2 years ago. My system would be more secure if I
could remove IE7, but I am forced to compromise my computer's security
because of my FINANCIAL software, of all things. It just makes the pain worse
because I chose a Microsoft financial package thinking that they would be
sure to keep all of their software happy working together. I've been a
Microsoft developer for the last 14 years, and I normally can figure this
stuff out. I can't figure out how Money generates the invoices, to see where
the dll mismatch is occuring. If I could simply reregister or replace the
missing dll's, I would offer up the solution for everyone to know.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Sounds like MS Money Plus (or at least your version of it) is not supported
in IE8, to me...or all of your IE8 installs were 'horked'.

MK

Re: IE 8 - An Alternate View
Hey Leonard,

My computer works fine. IE8 works great as a browser. Microsoft Money won't
print invoices if IE8 is installed. MS Money has a dependency on the browser
software which Microsoft should have accounted for when doing their internal
regression testing. It is obvious from this result that the MS Money product
is not being supported by Microsoft and people should be buying Quicken
instead. I was attempting to support Microsoft in my product selection, but
now have new information available to me, and have to make a course
correction.

You really should try a clean install of Windows sometime, it gets rid of
the accumulated windows crud that slows down your system over time.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Did I say I performed a clean install? No, I did not.
>
> Given your attitude, I'm not surprised your computer doesn't work.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> MK wrote:
> > Leonard, How clever you are! A clean install of XP, apply SP3, install IE 8,
> > yes, a fully functional browser!
> >
> > Now install the newest version of Microsoft Money Plus for Home and Small
> > Business. Now attempt to print an invoice for your client from Money Plus.
> > Epic Microsoft Fail.
> >
> > Now uninstall IE 8 and run IE 7 or IE 6. Print an invoice from Microsoft
> > Money Plus. Joy! You can print again!
> >
> > IE 8 is NOT compatible with Microsoft Money Plus if you need to print
> > invoices.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> I upgraded my copy of Windows XP SP 3 to IE 8 earlier today, and it was
> >> a piece of cake. I've been using the new browser for most of the
> >> afternoon, with no problems at all.
> >>
> >> I spent hours preparing for this upgrade, doing research on the web and
> >> in the newsgroups. It paid off for me, and it can pay off for anyone.
> >> --
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Re: IE 8 - An Alternate View
> ...The MS Money product and development teams have gone
> silent, with no new updates or product path announcements. The Money
> software itself is notifying users that they will be losing product
> support
> soon, but no official word yet from Microsoft on Money's fate or future.

I thought that might be the case. Sounds like you'd better revert to IE7 if
you will continue to be dependent on MS Money Plus, MK.

QED: Will MS Money Plus work OK in Vista SP2 (which does NOT include IE8)?

MK wrote:
> No, the IE8 install was perfect. The MS Money install was perfect. The
> problem is that Microsoft has not released a patch to MS Money to fix it's
> invoice printing issue. The MS Money product and development teams have
> gone
> silent, with no new updates or product path announcements. The Money
> software itself is notifying users that they will be losing product
> support
> soon, but no official word yet from Microsoft on Money's fate or future.
>
> I personally have tested clean installation scenarios of Vista Ultimate
> (32
> bit) with SP1, Microsoft Money Plus for Home and Small Business (v
> 17.0.150.1415), IE 8. No other 3rd party software to remove any external
> dependencies, and just running Microsoft products Money has a dependency
> on
> the version of IE. It will produce invoices with IE 6 or 7, but not with
> IE
> 8 installed. I tried an alternate install based on XP Professional with
> SP3
> and had the same results. Money can't work properly when IE8 is installed.
>
> My frustration is that I can't benefit from the superior security model
> available in IE8, because of my dependency on a legacy Microsoft
> application
> that I purchased less than 2 years ago. My system would be more secure if
> could remove IE7, but I am forced to compromise my computer's security
> because of my FINANCIAL software, of all things. It just makes the pain
> worse because I chose a Microsoft financial package thinking that they
> would be sure to keep all of their software happy working together. I've
> been a Microsoft developer for the last 14 years, and I normally can
> figure
> this stuff out. I can't figure out how Money generates the invoices, to
> see
> where the dll mismatch is occuring. If I could simply reregister or
> replace the missing dll's, I would offer up the solution for everyone to
> know.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> Sounds like MS Money Plus (or at least your version of it) is not
> supported
> in IE8, to me...or all of your IE8 installs were 'horked'.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 - An Alternate View
My system does not have "accumulated windows crud."
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

MK wrote:
> Hey Leonard,
>
> My computer works fine. IE8 works great as a browser. Microsoft Money won't
> print invoices if IE8 is installed. MS Money has a dependency on the browser
> software which Microsoft should have accounted for when doing their internal
> regression testing. It is obvious from this result that the MS Money product
> is not being supported by Microsoft and people should be buying Quicken
> instead. I was attempting to support Microsoft in my product selection, but
> now have new information available to me, and have to make a course
> correction.
>
> You really should try a clean install of Windows sometime, it gets rid of
> the accumulated windows crud that slows down your system over time.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Did I say I performed a clean install? No, I did not.
>>
>> Given your attitude, I'm not surprised your computer doesn't work.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> MK wrote:
>>> Leonard, How clever you are! A clean install of XP, apply SP3, install IE 8,
>>> yes, a fully functional browser!
>>>
>>> Now install the newest version of Microsoft Money Plus for Home and Small
>>> Business. Now attempt to print an invoice for your client from Money Plus.
>>> Epic Microsoft Fail.
>>>
>>> Now uninstall IE 8 and run IE 7 or IE 6. Print an invoice from Microsoft
>>> Money Plus. Joy! You can print again!
>>>
>>> IE 8 is NOT compatible with Microsoft Money Plus if you need to print
>>> invoices.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 - An Alternate View
To be honest, I don't know whether Money is compatible with IE 8. What I
do know is that one of the standard procedures to perform before
upgrading an operating system is to check whether the applications you
rely on most are supported under the upgrade.

If I was a user of Microsoft Money -- heh, not a chance -- I would have
checked before I upgraded to IE 8.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]

>> could remove IE7, but I am forced to compromise my computer's security
>> because of my FINANCIAL software, of all things. It just makes the pain
>> worse because I chose a Microsoft financial package thinking that they
>> would be sure to keep all of their software happy working together. I've
>> been a Microsoft developer for the last 14 years, and I normally can
>> figure
>> this stuff out. I can't figure out how Money generates the invoices,
>> to see
>> where the dll mismatch is occuring. If I could simply reregister or
>> replace the missing dll's, I would offer up the solution for everyone to
>> know.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like MS Money Plus (or at least your version of it) is not
>> supported
>> in IE8, to me...or all of your IE8 installs were 'horked'.

In file explorer, go to menu Tools / Folder Options / View tab / in Advanced
Settings / under Hidden files and folders click on "Show hidden files and
folders".

Under that, unclick the "Hide extensions for known file types", and "Hide
protected operating system files".

Now in Explorer, view the C:\Windows directory and tell me how many folders
start with "$Nt". The older your system, the more of this old crud clutters
your drive.

In explorer, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Local
Settings\Temp and look at the crud here.

In explorer, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Temporary
Internet Files and observe the crud.

All of these areas accumulate crud over the life of your windows
installation. Microsoft doesn't "clean" out the crud with any of their
built-in tools automatically. You manually have to clean your system, but I
wouldn't recommend deleting anything in any of the directories that I just
showed you. You would be more likely to do damage than good.

The above is just a partial list of areas where windows accumulates crud
over time. All of these areas grow and grow which just makes it more
difficult for your system to locate the correct files because they are mixed
in with all of the crud.

I bet your system does have some crud. And the older your install, the more
crud there is.