Re: Command failed to excecute for attachments

Rainald Taesler

z1Barry wrote:

> I have had an intermittent problem where I am unable to open
> attachments (JPG files) when using Vista mail. This started after I
> upgraded to IE8. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and Avast security.
> The error message I get is "Windows cannot find xxx.jpg"
>
> The last 3 times this happened I was able to solve the problem by
> deleteing my temporary internet files. Once I did that I was able to
> open the attached JPG file. The problem keeps reoccuring however.

That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.

How about TXT-files?

Rainald

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Command failed to excecute for attachments
Interestingly, MSN Explorer users are reporting the same issue
after installing IE8. One workaround (not recommended) is to turn
off Vista's UAC.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message news:OajAcT3yJHA.5728@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> z1Barry wrote:
>
>> I have had an intermittent problem where I am unable to open
>> attachments (JPG files) when using Vista mail. This started after I
>> upgraded to IE8. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and Avast security.
>> The error message I get is "Windows cannot find xxx.jpg"
>>
>> The last 3 times this happened I was able to solve the problem by
>> deleteing my temporary internet files. Once I did that I was able to
>> open the attached JPG file. The problem keeps reoccuring however.

> That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
> It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
> relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.
>
> How about TXT-files?
>
> Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Re: Command failed to excecute for attachments
The suggestion is not of help for WinMail.
Turning off UAC does not make a difference in my system.

Rainald

Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> Interestingly, MSN Explorer users are reporting the same issue
> after installing IE8. One workaround (not recommended) is to turn
> off Vista's UAC.
>

> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> z1Barry wrote:
>>
>>> I have had an intermittent problem where I am unable to open
>>> attachments (JPG files) when using Vista mail. This started after I
>>> upgraded to IE8. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and Avast security.
>>> The error message I get is "Windows cannot find xxx.jpg"
>>>
>>> The last 3 times this happened I was able to solve the problem by
>>> deleteing my temporary internet files. Once I did that I was able to
>>> open the attached JPG file. The problem keeps reoccuring however.

>> That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
>> It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
>> relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.
>>
>> How about TXT-files?
>>
>> Rainald

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Command failed to excecute for attachments
OK, thanks for testing it.

--

"Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message news:OrvfjqDzJHA.5032@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> The suggestion is not of help for WinMail.
> Turning off UAC does not make a difference in my system.
>
> Rainald
>

> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>> Interestingly, MSN Explorer users are reporting the same issue
>> after installing IE8. One workaround (not recommended) is to turn
>> off Vista's UAC.
>>

>> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message

>>> That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
>>> It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
>>> relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.
>>>
>>> How about TXT-files?
>>>
>>> Rainald

z1Barry

On May 2, 6:23*pm, "Rainald Taesler" <taes...@gmx.de> wrote:
> z1Barry wrote:
> > I have had an intermittent problem where I am unable to open
> > attachments (JPG files) when using Vista mail. This started after I
> > upgraded to IE8. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and Avast security.
> > The error message I get is "Windows cannot find xxx.jpg"

> > The last 3 times this happened I was able to solve the problem by
> > deleteing my temporary internet files. Once I did that I was able to
> > open the attached JPG file. The problem keeps reoccuring however.

> That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
> It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
> relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.
>
> How about TXT-files?
>
> Rainald

I have only seen this on my system with attached JPG files. However I
rarely get attached TXT files, so I cant be sure if the problem exits
for TXT files or not. FYI, I have always had UAC turned OFF. So far
for me the workaround of deleting my temporary internet files always
works as a temporary circumvention. The problem keeps coming back and
is intermittent in nature. It does not happen every time I open an
attached JPG file in Vista Mail.

OS Vista Ultimate x64, IE8, Avast security, Vista Mail

Barry

z1Barry wrote:
> On May 2, 6:23 pm, "Rainald Taesler" <taes...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> z1Barry wrote:
>>> I have had an intermittent problem where I am unable to open
>>> attachments (JPG files) when using Vista mail. This started after I
>>> upgraded to IE8. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and Avast security.
>>> The error message I get is "Windows cannot find xxx.jpg"

>>> The last 3 times this happened I was able to solve the problem by
>>> deleteing my temporary internet files. Once I did that I was able to
>>> open the attached JPG file. The problem keeps reoccuring however.

>> That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
>> It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
>> relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.
>>
>> How about TXT-files?
>>
>> Rainald

> I have only seen this on my system with attached JPG files. However I
> rarely get attached TXT files, so I cant be sure if the problem exits
> for TXT files or not. FYI, I have always had UAC turned OFF. So far
> for me the workaround of deleting my temporary internet files always
> works as a temporary circumvention. The problem keeps coming back and
> is intermittent in nature. It does not happen every time I open an
> attached JPG file in Vista Mail.
>
> OS Vista Ultimate x64, IE8, Avast security, Vista Mail

Or you could disable Avast and any other real-time system protections prior
to installing (and uninstalling) IE8.

z1Barry

On May 4, 2:53*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> z1Barry wrote:

> >> That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
> >> It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
> >> relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.

> >> How about TXT-files?

> >> Rainald

> > I have only seen this on my system with attached JPG files. However I
> > rarely get attached TXT files, so I cant be sure if the problem exits
> > for TXT files or not. FYI, I have always had UAC turned OFF. So far
> > for me the workaround of deleting my temporary internet files always
> > works as a temporary circumvention. The problem keeps coming back and
> > is intermittent in nature. It does not happen every time I open an
> > attached JPG file in Vista Mail.

> > OS Vista Ultimate x64, IE8, Avast security, Vista Mail

> Or you could disable Avast and any other real-time system protections prior
> to installing (and uninstalling) IE8.- Hide quoted text -

There is no evidence that your suggestions have anything to do with
this problem.
And for the record , I always disable my antivirus/ security software
before any major software install.
In the case of my IE8 install, you assumed I did not. Wrong !
Sam Hobbs

Re: Command failed to excecute for attachments
> And for the record , I always disable my antivirus/
> security software before any major software install.
> In the case of my IE8 install, you assumed I did not. Wrong !

Your email is one of those that don't get the quote prefixes added when I
reply so I snipped most of the message; I would have retained it otherwise.

It could be that your security software has a bug that occurs only when it
is disabled when IE8 is installed. It would be rare that others would do
what you did.

Rainald Taesler

Sam Hobbs wrote:
>> And for the record , I always disable my antivirus/
>> security software before any major software install.
>> In the case of my IE8 install, you assumed I did not. Wrong !

> [...]
>
> It could be that your security software has a bug that occurs only
> when it is disabled when IE8 is installed. It would be rare that
> others would do what you did.

The problem appears in my test-computer which has never seen any
"protection" software (except Windows Firewall and Defender.

And IMHO it's a bit weird theory that IE8 might need security software
*enabled* when being installed.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

z1Barry wrote:
> On May 2, 6:23 pm, "Rainald Taesler" <taes...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> z1Barry wrote:
>>> I have had an intermittent problem where I am unable to open
>>> attachments (JPG files) when using Vista mail. This started after I
>>> upgraded to IE8. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and Avast security.
>>> The error message I get is "Windows cannot find xxx.jpg"

>>> The last 3 times this happened I was able to solve the problem by
>>> deleting my temporary internet files. Once I did that I was able to
>>> open the attached JPG file. The problem keeps reoccurring however.

>> That's exactly what I have on 4 systems.
>> It may work for a while after deleting the "Content.IE5" files or
>> relocating the TIF. But it will re-appear at least on the next day.

> I have only seen this on my system with attached JPG files. However I
> rarely get attached TXT files, so I cant be sure if the problem exits
> for TXT files or not. FYI, I have always had UAC turned OFF. So far
> for me the workaround of deleting my temporary internet files always
> works as a temporary circumvention. The problem keeps coming back and
> is intermittent in nature. It does not happen every time I open an
> attached JPG file in Vista Mail.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the returning of the problem after a short while is a common issue.

As far as TXT-files are concerned, might you pls test it by sending some
mails with TXT-attachments to your own mail-account?

We need as many facts as possible to get behind the secrets of this bug.

TIA
Rainald
P.S. IMO it's not too wise to run a system with UAC disabled