Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE6 opens with "get it now" webpage

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2009
beach14
 

Posts: n/a
IE6 opens with "get it now" webpage
Even tho' home page is set properly, Explorer always open with
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. How do I get rid
of it!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE6 opens with "get it now" webpage
IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check for
IE updates (uncheck/disable).

beach14 wrote:
> Even tho' home page is set properly, Explorer always open with
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. How do I get
> rid of it!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009
beach14
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE6 opens with "get it now" webpage
Automatically check for IE updates is already disabled.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check for
> IE updates (uncheck/disable).
>
> beach14 wrote:
> > Even tho' home page is set properly, Explorer always open with
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. How do I get
> > rid of it!

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE6 opens with "get it now" webpage
Please state your IE version [This issue is usually associated with IE7: Are
you sure you're running IE6?] and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP2).

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
(e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


beach14 wrote:
> Automatically check for IE updates is already disabled.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
>> for
>> IE updates (uncheck/disable).
>>
>> beach14 wrote:
>>> Even tho' home page is set properly, Explorer always open with
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. How do I
>>> get
>>> rid of it!


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009
beach14
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE6 opens with "get it now" webpage
You are right, it is IE7. Sorry. I am running Windows XP SP3. Security, virus
protection, etc., is thru Microsoft LiveOne Care and Spybot. Don't know about
anti-spyware or firewall. How do I find out?

Had LiveUpdate (Symantec) but it expired.

Tried to install IE8, but my computer didn't seem to like and/or it didn't
install properly, so I removed it, which left me back at IE7.






"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your IE version [This issue is usually associated with IE7: Are
> you sure you're running IE6?] and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP2).
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
>
> beach14 wrote:
> > Automatically check for IE updates is already disabled.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
> >> for
> >> IE updates (uncheck/disable).
> >>
> >> beach14 wrote:
> >>> Even tho' home page is set properly, Explorer always open with
> >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. How do I
> >>> get
> >>> rid of it!

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE6 opens with "get it now" webpage
INLINE...

beach14 wrote:
> You are right, it is IE7. Sorry. I am running Windows XP SP3.


Thought that might be the case. See
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubles...sp#updatecheck (and don't miss the
reference to Spybot!!)

> ...Security,
> virus protection, etc., is thru Microsoft LiveOne Care and Spybot. Don't
> know about anti-spyware or firewall. How do I find out?


OneCare includes its own firewall and anti-spyware components.

> Had LiveUpdate (Symantec) but it expired.


Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop | Double-click
on the saved file to run the tool | Don't TOUCH your computer until the tool
completes | Reboot.

> Tried to install IE8, but my computer didn't seem to like and/or it didn't
> install properly, so I removed it, which left me back at IE7.


No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
(only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling all components of OneCare (including
the firewall) & the Spybot [1] Residents SDHelper and Tea Timer and then
enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) IE8.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

=====================
[1] NB: Spybot's Immunizations have a deleterious effect on IE8 performance.
I would strongly recommend de-Immunizing prior to installing IE8, too. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938 and this discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your IE version [This issue is usually associated with IE7:
>> Are you sure you're running IE6?] and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP
>> SP3; Vista SP2).
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>
>>
>> beach14 wrote:
>>> Automatically check for IE updates is already disabled.
>>>
>>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check
>>>> for
>>>> IE updates (uncheck/disable).
>>>>
>>>> beach14 wrote:
>>>>> Even tho' home page is set properly, Explorer always open with
>>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. How do I
>>>>> get
>>>>> rid of it!


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why does ie8 "cannot display the webpage" page coceal the actual error microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 16 09-09-2009 04:15
Webpage Shortcuts & Custom Icons for "All Programs" in Vista John Burke microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-07-2009 13:11
Re: "cannot display the webpage" opening a vaid webpage Doug microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 08-13-2008 04:42
Article ID: 929708 Internet Explorer ne peut pas "afficher le webpage" KBArticles French 0 10-23-2007 20:00
Article ID: 938723 "Hibernates" or "hibernation" appears instead of "sleeps" or "sleep" in Power Options in the Traditional Chinese (CHT) version of Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:11.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120