Updating to IE8

Gerry

Updating to IE8
What do you gain?

Does it cause problems on Windows XP?

TIA

--

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mae

Re: Updating to IE8
Go here and take the tour and read all the links.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
Then decide for yourself.

I have been using on XPsp3 without problems since March 27th.
I thought it was a faulty install at first, because I didn't know of the IE7
items removed.
It would really be a time-saver if the release notes would tell you the
changes so you would know what to expect.

There are better security settings with a security center icon for the
commandbar.
The manage add-ons tell you how long it takes an addon to load.
Option to preserve your favorites when deleting history,
You have option to turn off the needless "features"
I think those are the only improvements that apply for me that I have
encountered.

It seems designed more for a work environment or developer.

mae

"Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
| What do you gain?
|
| Does it cause problems on Windows XP?
|
| TIA
|

| --
|

| Gerry
| ~~~~
| FCA
| Stourport, England
| Enquire, plan and execute
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ColTom2

Re: Updating to IE8
Hi:

I upgraded from IE7 to IE8 about 45 days ago running XP (MCE2005) SP3,
which is basically XP pro, and had numerous problems.

In fact, after about a week of running IE8 I rolled it back to IE7. I have
hid the current Windows Update for IE8 and plan to wait at least another 90
days and will review at that time as to whether I will upgrade to IE8 or
not.

Most, if not all, have apparently had problems with IE8 to some degree or
another.

It's your decision....

ColTom2

"Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
What do you gain?

Does it cause problems on Windows XP?

TIA

--

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

D. Spencer Hines

Re: Updating To IE8
That's usually a Good Idea, rather than being a New Adopter GUinea Pig
[NAGUP] -- as with WLM14...

Or many other major MS updates.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

> In fact, after about a week of running IE8 I rolled it back to IE7. I have
> hid the current Windows Update for IE8 and plan to wait at least another
> 90
> days and will review at that time as to whether I will upgrade to IE8 or
> not.

Gerry

Re: Updating to IE8
Thanks Mae for your comments.

--

Gerry
~~~~

mae wrote:
> Go here and take the tour and read all the links.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
> Then decide for yourself.
>
> I have been using on XPsp3 without problems since March 27th.
> I thought it was a faulty install at first, because I didn't know of
> the IE7 items removed.
> It would really be a time-saver if the release notes would tell you
> the changes so you would know what to expect.
>
> There are better security settings with a security center icon for the
> commandbar.
> The manage add-ons tell you how long it takes an addon to load.
> Option to preserve your favorites when deleting history,
> You have option to turn off the needless "features"
> I think those are the only improvements that apply for me that I have
> encountered.
>
> It seems designed more for a work environment or developer.
>
> mae
>
> "Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> What do you gain?
>>
>> Does it cause problems on Windows XP?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>>

>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry

Re: Updating to IE8
Thanks Tom for your comments.

--

Gerry
~~~~

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I upgraded from IE7 to IE8 about 45 days ago running XP (MCE2005)
> SP3, which is basically XP pro, and had numerous problems.
>
> In fact, after about a week of running IE8 I rolled it back to IE7.
> I have hid the current Windows Update for IE8 and plan to wait at
> least another 90 days and will review at that time as to whether I
> will upgrade to IE8 or not.
>
> Most, if not all, have apparently had problems with IE8 to some
> degree or another.
>
> It's your decision....
>
> ColTom2
>
> "Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
> What do you gain?
>
> Does it cause problems on Windows XP?
>
> TIA

ColTom2

Re: Updating to IE8
You bet!

ColTom2 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I upgraded from IE7 to IE8 about 45 days ago running XP (MCE2005)
> SP3, which is basically XP pro, and had numerous problems.
>
> In fact, after about a week of running IE8 I rolled it back to IE7.
> I have hid the current Windows Update for IE8 and plan to wait at
> least another 90 days and will review at that time as to whether I
> will upgrade to IE8 or not.
>
> Most, if not all, have apparently had problems with IE8 to some
> degree or another.
>
> It's your decision....
>
> ColTom2
>
> "Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com> wrote in message
> What do you gain?
>
> Does it cause problems on Windows XP?
>
> TIA

Re: Updating to IE8
What’s New in Internet Explorer 8
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...09.04.ie8.aspx

Release Notes for IE8 Final
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/dd441788.aspx

IE8 FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...pport/faq.aspx

IE8 Quick Reference FAQ (including Keyboard Shortcuts)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a&mg_id=20318b

IE8 Tour
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx

IE8 Videos
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx (Silverlight)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
• Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
• Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
• Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
• Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
• History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...abid=1&catid=1

IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm
• Screenshot Tutorial:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm

About IE7 (and higher) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

About IE7 (and higher) and Windows XP Service Pack 3

Download links for IE8 Final
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
--
~Robear

Gerry wrote:
> What do you gain?
>
> Does it cause problems on Windows XP?
>
> TIA

Gerry

Re: Updating to IE8
Thanks for the info.

--

Gerry
~~~~

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> What’s New in Internet Explorer 8
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...09.04.ie8.aspx
>
> Release Notes for IE8 Final
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/dd441788.aspx
>
> IE8 FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...pport/faq.aspx
>
> IE8 Quick Reference FAQ (including Keyboard Shortcuts)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a&mg_id=20318b
>
> IE8 Tour
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
>
> IE8 Videos
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx
> (Silverlight)
> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
> Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE • Security
> Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4 • Easier
> Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
> Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
> History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4
> IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History
> Management; Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery;
> InPrivate Browsing; Security; and more
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...abid=1&catid=1
>
> IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm
> • Screenshot Tutorial:
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm
>
> About IE7 (and higher) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
> About IE7 (and higher) and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>
> Download links for IE8 Final
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>
> Gerry wrote: