History Tab - where is it?

MuseumMan

History Tab - where is it?
I've upgraded from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times now, and each time I've had
to uninstall IE8 because there's no way to view my History. I click on
"Favorites", and the drop-down box shows only "Add to Favorites" and a blank
"Search History". There's no tab for "History", no way to view the sites I've
visited today, this week, etc.

I'm using no add-ons or Accelerators, and I'm not using "InPrivate"
browsing. I have Windows XP SP3. What am I missing here? Thanks for your help.

Leonard Grey

Re: History Tab - where is it?
"Upgrad[ing] from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times" was a better idea than
reading the Help File? A better idea than searching for the answer with
Google?

CTRL+H
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

MuseumMan wrote:
> I've upgraded from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times now, and each time I've had
> to uninstall IE8 because there's no way to view my History. I click on
> "Favorites", and the drop-down box shows only "Add to Favorites" and a blank
> "Search History". There's no tab for "History", no way to view the sites I've
> visited today, this week, etc.
>
> I'm using no add-ons or Accelerators, and I'm not using "InPrivate"
> browsing. I have Windows XP SP3. What am I missing here? Thanks for your help.

RalfG

Re: History Tab - where is it?

"MuseumMan" <MuseumMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've upgraded from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times now, and each time I've
> had
> to uninstall IE8 because there's no way to view my History. I click on
> "Favorites", and the drop-down box shows only "Add to Favorites" and a
> blank
> "Search History". There's no tab for "History", no way to view the sites
> I've
> visited today, this week, etc.
>
> I'm using no add-ons or Accelerators, and I'm not using "InPrivate"
> browsing. I have Windows XP SP3. What am I missing here? Thanks for your
> help.

Search History on the Favorites menu? Not in my IE8. Are you using one of
the old beta versions? The Favorites menu should show Add to Favorites, Add
to Favorites Bar, Add Current Tabs to Favorites and Organize Favorites.

The History tab is on the Favorites bar. Favorites bar includes the former
Links bar and when clicked it shows tabs for Favorites, RSS feeds, History,
plus various menu items.

Ways to access History:

Tools - Explorer Bars -History

or

View - Explorer Bars -History

or

Tools- Toolbars - enable Favorites Bar; Click on Favorites bar- select
History tab.

or

View- Toolbars - enable Favorites Bar; Click on Favorites bar- select
History tab.

or

Right-click on a toolbar- enable Favorites Bar; Click on Favorites bar-
select History tab.

MuseumMan

Re: History Tab - where is it?
Thanks for nothing Leonard - your answer is totally not helpful. I've read
the Help file thru start to finish with no results. I've searched Google
until the cows came home with no help. That's why I'm here. I have no
History anywhere on my IE8.

I suggest you save your snotty comments for someone who can appreciate your
complete lack of wit.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> "Upgrad[ing] from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times" was a better idea than
> reading the Help File? A better idea than searching for the answer with
> Google?
>
> CTRL+H
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> MuseumMan wrote:
> > I've upgraded from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times now, and each time I've had
> > to uninstall IE8 because there's no way to view my History. I click on
> > "Favorites", and the drop-down box shows only "Add to Favorites" and a blank
> > "Search History". There's no tab for "History", no way to view the sites I've
> > visited today, this week, etc.
> >
> > I'm using no add-ons or Accelerators, and I'm not using "InPrivate"
> > browsing. I have Windows XP SP3. What am I missing here? Thanks for your help.

MuseumMan

Re: History Tab - where is it?
RalfG,

Thank you for the suggestions, but I cannot access my History in any of
the ways you've suggested. As to an old Beta copy, No, I downloaded IE8 from
the Microsoft IE8 homepage yesterday. It's fresh.

Tools-Explorer Bar-History AND
View-Explorer Bar-History
give me only a blank drop-down box labeled "Search History".

The Favorites Bar provides no option for a History Tab.

So I'm stuck going back to IE6 and it's constant Information Bar warnings
about ActiveX problems.

Thanks for trying. If you have any further suggestions I'd appreciate
hearing about them.

"RalfG" wrote:

> "MuseumMan" <MuseumMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've upgraded from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times now, and each time I've
> > had
> > to uninstall IE8 because there's no way to view my History. I click on
> > "Favorites", and the drop-down box shows only "Add to Favorites" and a
> > blank
> > "Search History". There's no tab for "History", no way to view the sites
> > I've
> > visited today, this week, etc.
> >
> > I'm using no add-ons or Accelerators, and I'm not using "InPrivate"
> > browsing. I have Windows XP SP3. What am I missing here? Thanks for your
> > help.
> >

> Search History on the Favorites menu? Not in my IE8. Are you using one of
> the old beta versions? The Favorites menu should show Add to Favorites, Add
> to Favorites Bar, Add Current Tabs to Favorites and Organize Favorites.
>
> The History tab is on the Favorites bar. Favorites bar includes the former
> Links bar and when clicked it shows tabs for Favorites, RSS feeds, History,
> plus various menu items.
>
> Ways to access History:
>
> Tools - Explorer Bars -History
>
> or
>
> View - Explorer Bars -History
>
> or
>
> Tools- Toolbars - enable Favorites Bar; Click on Favorites bar- select
> History tab.
>
> or
>
> View- Toolbars - enable Favorites Bar; Click on Favorites bar- select
> History tab.
>
> or
>
> Right-click on a toolbar- enable Favorites Bar; Click on Favorites bar-
> select History tab.

Donald Anadell

Re: History Tab - where is it?

"MuseumMan" <MuseumMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've upgraded from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times now, and each time I've
> had
> to uninstall IE8 because there's no way to view my History. I click on
> "Favorites", and the drop-down box shows only "Add to Favorites" and a
> blank
> "Search History". There's no tab for "History", no way to view the sites
> I've
> visited today, this week, etc.
>
> I'm using no add-ons or Accelerators, and I'm not using "InPrivate"
> browsing. I have Windows XP SP3.

> What am I missing here?

Most likely an unregistered DLL file, see the following fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...et-explorer-8/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks for your help.

MuseumMan

Re: History Tab - where is it?
Great suggestion, Donald! Registering oleacc.dll finally got me my History
tab under Favorites (along with tabs for Favorites and Feeds).
Unfortunately, when I click on the History tab, I still get a drop-down box
for Search History that's completely blank, no matter how many sites I've
visited. So I'm still continuing my quest to figure out how to view my
browsing history.

At least your suggestion got me half-way there. Thank you!

> Great suggestion, Donald! Registering oleacc.dll finally got me my
> History
> tab under Favorites (along with tabs for Favorites and Feeds).
> Unfortunately, when I click on the History tab, I still get a drop-down
> box
> for Search History that's completely blank, no matter how many sites I've
> visited. So I'm still continuing my quest to figure out how to view my
> browsing history.
>
> At least your suggestion got me half-way there. Thank you!

You're welcome.

Did you try setting the drop down settings to something other than "Search
History", if you set it to "View by Date" do you have anything listed?

Are you using InPrivate Browsing?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "MuseumMan" <MuseumMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've upgraded from IE6 to IE8 a half-dozen times now, and each time
>> > I've
>> > had
>> > to uninstall IE8 because there's no way to view my History. I click on
>> > "Favorites", and the drop-down box shows only "Add to Favorites" and a
>> > blank
>> > "Search History". There's no tab for "History", no way to view the
>> > sites
>> > I've
>> > visited today, this week, etc.
>> >
>> > I'm using no add-ons or Accelerators, and I'm not using "InPrivate"
>> > browsing. I have Windows XP SP3.

>> > What am I missing here?

>> Most likely an unregistered DLL file, see the following fix:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...et-explorer-8/
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>> > Thanks for your help.

MuseumMan

Re: History Tab - where is it?
Donald -

No, I can't set the drop down to anything other than "Search History".
That's the only option it gives me, and there are no other drop down options
listed. And like I said way back in my original post, I'm not using
InPrivate Browsing.

It must be something peculiar to my computer, maybe something slightly
screwed up in some other DLL. But I'd hate to "nuke and pave" just on the
chance that it would solve my problem.

Thanks again for your help.

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "MuseumMan" <MuseumMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Great suggestion, Donald! Registering oleacc.dll finally got me my
> > History
> > tab under Favorites (along with tabs for Favorites and Feeds).
> > Unfortunately, when I click on the History tab, I still get a drop-down
> > box
> > for Search History that's completely blank, no matter how many sites I've
> > visited. So I'm still continuing my quest to figure out how to view my
> > browsing history.
> >
> > At least your suggestion got me half-way there. Thank you!

> You're welcome.
>
> Did you try setting the drop down settings to something other than "Search
> History", if you set it to "View by Date" do you have anything listed?
>
> Are you using InPrivate Browsing?
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > "Donald Anadell" wrote:
> >

> >> "MuseumMan" <MuseumMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Most likely an unregistered DLL file, see the following fix:
> >> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...et-explorer-8/
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> Donald Anadell

Re: History Tab - where is it?
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
~PA Bear