Plugins

Just D.

Plugins
Does anybody have a list of plugins that can be installed in IE? For example
I see these names pretty often in the log tables created on each user login.

SIMBAR - Virus
GTB5 - Google Toolbar
FunWebProducts - Virus
Hotbar - Virus
SLCC1 -
Trident -
AskTB -
FBSMTWB -
YPC - Yahoo Parental Control

And I'd like to know in detail which is which. I realize that this list is
not complete, I just started gathering this info, and I entered my guesses
into the right part of the table googleing for these names. But I was not
able to write the right google query and most of the requests were returning
me just the user agent strings that I already have in my collection on the
database. Any good ideas?

Sorry for x-posting to two newsgroups, I was not sure is it a general or
security related question. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just D.

Re: Plugins
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

Just D. wrote:
> Does anybody have a list of plugins that can be installed in IE? For
> example
> I see these names pretty often in the log tables created on each user
> login.
>
> SIMBAR - Virus
> GTB5 - Google Toolbar
> FunWebProducts - Virus
> Hotbar - Virus
> SLCC1 -
> Trident -
> AskTB -
> FBSMTWB -
> YPC - Yahoo Parental Control
>
> And I'd like to know in detail which is which. I realize that this list is
> not complete, I just started gathering this info, and I entered my guesses
> into the right part of the table googleing for these names. But I was not
> able to write the right google query and most of the requests were
> returning
> me just the user agent strings that I already have in my collection on the
> database. Any good ideas?
>
> Sorry for x-posting to two newsgroups, I was not sure is it a general or
> security related question. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Just D.

Just D.

Re: Plugins
Thanks,

But probably you didn't read the question to the very end. Our company wrote
the app using by thousands of primary clients and hundreds of thousands of
secondary clients in many states. Their browsers return the strings and we
document all these strings on our database together with the session log
info. Some of these people are complaining about some stuff, I was able to
localize the reason of these complaints. As a result I created a long enough
database table having all substrings returning by the browsers presenting
different features. I actually parsed all these strings and saved only the
unique ones. In many cases these plugins are safe, but there are also many
cases when the plugin presents the bot, spyware, tracking tool, backdoor,
etc. The complete list is about 400 entries. The question was - does anybody
have the complete list like mine, but having some kind of description of
these substrings. I gave a pretty short example in my first posting
including several lines. My purpose is to make a system from this mess
assigning the number reflecting the threat, etc.

Just D.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
>
> Just D. wrote:
>> Does anybody have a list of plugins that can be installed in IE? For
>> example
>> I see these names pretty often in the log tables created on each user
>> login.
>>
>> SIMBAR - Virus
>> GTB5 - Google Toolbar
>> FunWebProducts - Virus
>> Hotbar - Virus
>> SLCC1 -
>> Trident -
>> AskTB -
>> FBSMTWB -
>> YPC - Yahoo Parental Control
>>
>> And I'd like to know in detail which is which. I realize that this list
>> is
>> not complete, I just started gathering this info, and I entered my
>> guesses
>> into the right part of the table googleing for these names. But I was not
>> able to write the right google query and most of the requests were
>> returning
>> me just the user agent strings that I already have in my collection on
>> the
>> database. Any good ideas?
>>
>> Sorry for x-posting to two newsgroups, I was not sure is it a general or
>> security related question. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> Just D.

rob^_^

Re: Plugins
Hi D,

You are talking about the UserAgent string. navigator.userAgent

see this page - http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/browser_ids.htm
or further this web search -
http://www.google.com/search?q=malwa...ragent+strings

This may be unreliable as many malware addons do not modify the userAgent
string to signal their existence, and/or they do not remove the userAgent
entries when they are uninstalled.

The key profiling indicator of malware is its CLSID, Filename and/or
publisher. Microsoft has the Malware Removal Tool which scans your registry
for known profiles. Server 2008 has PC health check that stops infected
computers connecting.

Castlecops.com (site now closed) had a comprehensive list of CLSID's. You
may like to try contacting the owners (see castlecops.com for contact
details)

see this web search for other listings of CLSID values -
http://www.google.com/search?q=malware+clsid

Regards.

"Just D." <no@spam.please> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> Trident -
>>> AskTB -
>>> FBSMTWB -
>>> YPC - Yahoo Parental Control
>>>
>>> And I'd like to know in detail which is which. I realize that this list
>>> is
>>> not complete, I just started gathering this info, and I entered my
>>> guesses
>>> into the right part of the table googleing for these names. But I was
>>> not
>>> able to write the right google query and most of the requests were
>>> returning
>>> me just the user agent strings that I already have in my collection on
>>> the
>>> database. Any good ideas?
>>>
>>> Sorry for x-posting to two newsgroups, I was not sure is it a general or
>>> security related question. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Plugins
[I don't think he is referring to UA strings here, Rob. Then again, I
really don't understand what he's talking about or referring to.]

>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm

>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,