Launching URLs from other apps

Jeffrey Kaplan

Launching URLs from other apps
Using IE8 in XP Pro SP3.

I have Tools \ Internet Options \ General \ Tabbed Browser Settings:
"Open links from other programs in" set to "A new tab in the current
window".

Inconsistently, but often, such links are not opened in a new tab in
the current window but rather into a NEW window.

I have tabbed browsing enabled in IE for a reason - I want a
single-window tabbed interface.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

[Surveys room of unconscious men.] "Bugger! Now I have to wait for
someone to wake up." (Marcus Cole, B5 "Ceremonies of Light And Dark")

Re: Launching URLs from other apps
What links, for instance?

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Using IE8 in XP Pro SP3.
>
> I have Tools \ Internet Options \ General \ Tabbed Browser Settings:
> "Open links from other programs in" set to "A new tab in the current
> window".
>
> Inconsistently, but often, such links are not opened in a new tab in
> the current window but rather into a NEW window.
>
> I have tabbed browsing enabled in IE for a reason - I want a
> single-window tabbed interface.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Re: Launching URLs from other apps
Previously on microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, PA Bear [MS
MVP] said:

> What links, for instance?

For instance, any link launched from Lotus Notes. And the random
occasional link from other applications.

Notes has one setting for this, and it's set to "Internet Explorer".

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #49.
If I learn the whereabouts of the one artifact which can destroy me, I
will not send all my troops out to seize it. Instead I will send them
out to seize something else and quietly put a Want-Ad in the local
paper.

Re: Launching URLs from other apps
[Sig delimiter changed for Agent user]

IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows when
launching shortcuts... <=enable/check this one, too
~~
~PA Bear

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> For instance, any link launched from Lotus Notes. And the random
> occasional link from other applications.
>
> Notes has one setting for this, and it's set to "Internet Explorer".

<paste>

MVP] said:

> [Sig delimiter changed for Agent user]

Are you purposely trying to screw things up?

> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows when
> launching shortcuts... <=enable/check this one, too

Thank you. However, that is already set.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.
Donald Anadell

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <nomail@gordol.org> wrote in message
news:99hmv4ptvrren7fk7f8hsdfils9gu495uu@gordol.org ...
> Using IE8 in XP Pro SP3.
>
> I have Tools \ Internet Options \ General \ Tabbed Browser Settings:
> "Open links from other programs in" set to "A new tab in the current
> window".
>
> Inconsistently, but often, such links are not opened in a new tab in
> the current window but rather into a NEW window.

On the occasions that this does happen, are the links that are opened in a
new window https:// protocol links?

Donald Anadell

> I have tabbed browsing enabled in IE for a reason - I want a
> single-window tabbed interface.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
> Double ROT13 encoded for your protection
>
> [Surveys room of unconscious men.] "Bugger! Now I have to wait for
> someone to wake up." (Marcus Cole, B5 "Ceremonies of Light And Dark")

Jeffrey Kaplan

Re: Launching URLs from other apps
Previously on microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Donald Anadell
said:

> On the occasions that this does happen, are the links that are opened in a
> new window https:// protocol links?

http vs https does not appear to be a factor.

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> Previously on microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, PA Bear [MS
> MVP] said:
>
>> [Sig delimiter changed for Agent user]

> Are you purposely trying to screw things up?

No, OE's default sig delimiter causes Agent to remove anything below it when
quoting a post made by OE.

PS: Quoting the full post when replying is the custom here.

>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows when
>> launching shortcuts... <=enable/check this one, too

> Thank you. However, that is already set.

Since you again neglected to quote previous messages in your reply, I have
no idea what your problem was. Perhaps someone else can assist you.

[Some links are hard-coded to open in a new window.]

Jeffrey Kaplan

MVP] said:

> >> [Sig delimiter changed for Agent user]

> > Are you purposely trying to screw things up?

> No, OE's default sig delimiter causes Agent to remove anything below it when
> quoting a post made by OE.

Then please stop top posting. dash-dash-space-enter is the correct sig
delineator.

> >> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Reuse windows when
> >> launching shortcuts... <=enable/check this one, too

> > Thank you. However, that is already set.

> Since you again neglected to quote previous messages in your reply, I have
> no idea what your problem was. Perhaps someone else can assist you.

Navigate back up the thread, perhaps?

> [Some links are hard-coded to open in a new window.]

IIRC, this behaved correctly with IE7.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #49.
If I learn the whereabouts of the one artifact which can destroy me, I
will not send all my troops out to seize it. Instead I will send them
out to seize something else and quietly put a Want-Ad in the local
paper.
Frank Wiedmann

"Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote:

> Previously on microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, PA Bear [MS
> MVP] said:
>
> > What links, for instance?

> For instance, any link launched from Lotus Notes. And the random
> occasional link from other applications.
>
> Notes has one setting for this, and it's set to "Internet Explorer".

I also had the problem that Internet Explorer would open a new window each
time I clicked on a link in Lotus Notes. In my case, it was solved by
changing the Lotus Notes setting under File -> Preferences -> Location
Preferences -> Internet Browser to "Microsoft Internet Explorer". Before, the
setting was "Other" with the path pointing to iexplore.exe. I am using Lotus
Notes 6.5.6 and Internet Explorer 7.