IE8 and dpi

jac

IE8 and dpi
Since 2 days windows update installed IE8 on my laptop Vista Ultimate.
Now i have problem with sidebar it uses 60% CPU all the time.
I deleted all gadgets, restarted and still sidebar uses 60% CPU
I googled and found someone telling that this is caused by IE8 and DPI
problem.

I had set the DPI to 120 and when i changed it back to default 96 DPI the
problem was gone.
Is there a solution for this problem ?, because i like to use 120 DPI on my
laptop
Thanks

Xam

RE: IE8 and dpi
"jac" wrote:

> Since 2 days windows update installed IE8 on my laptop Vista Ultimate.
> Now i have problem with sidebar it uses 60% CPU all the time.

Existence of problem confirmed here. It seemed to me that sidebar.exe was
drinking up 100% of a single CPU core, although I could have been wrong about
that. (I just posted a new thread on the same problem, plus a rendering
problem with the Weather gadget; I didn't connect the problem with DPI,
though, so I didn't notice this post first.)

> I deleted all gadgets, restarted and still sidebar uses 60% CPU
> I googled and found someone telling that this is caused by IE8 and DPI
> problem.
>
> I had set the DPI to 120 and when i changed it back to default 96 DPI the
> problem was gone.

I also run a higher (custom) DPI setting. Hmmm. Other relevant specs here:
Vista SP1 x64.

> Is there a solution for this problem ?, because i like to use 120 DPI on my
> laptop
> Thanks

I hope that somebody has a solution (plus a fix for Weather Gadget's
rendering with IE8 installed).

Xam

jac

Re: IE8 and dpi

The feature : selecting another DPI setting has to be disabled by IE8
install
to prevent that sidebar.exe has a HIGH CPU of 60%
So this DPI feature is killed by installing IE8.

Is there a MVP who can tell more about this issue (bug )
will it be fixed ?
Thanks

> "jac" <jaccies@live.nl> schreef in bericht
>> Since 2 days windows update installed IE8 on my laptop Vista Ultimate.
>> Now i have problem with sidebar it uses 60% CPU all the time.
>> I deleted all gadgets, restarted and still sidebar uses 60% CPU
>> I googled and found someone telling that this is caused by IE8 and DPI
>> problem.
>>
>> I had set the DPI to 120 and when i changed it back to default 96 DPI
>> the problem was gone.
>> Is there a solution for this problem ?, because i like to use 120 DPI on
>> my laptop
>> Thanks

jac

Re: IE8 and dpi
is there an MS MVP who knows if a workaround is available
or tell us if its a bug and MS is working on ??

"jac" <jaccies@live.nl> schreef in bericht
> Since 2 days windows update installed IE8 on my laptop Vista Ultimate.
> Now i have problem with sidebar it uses 60% CPU all the time.
> I deleted all gadgets, restarted and still sidebar uses 60% CPU
> I googled and found someone telling that this is caused by IE8 and DPI
> problem.
>
> I had set the DPI to 120 and when i changed it back to default 96 DPI the
> problem was gone.
> Is there a solution for this problem ?, because i like to use 120 DPI on
> my laptop
> Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and dpi

"jac" <jaccies@live.nl> wrote in message news:15F7F481-29D4-4B6B-9A55-B082EE321986@microsoft.com...
> is there an MS MVP who knows if a workaround is available
> or tell us if its a bug and MS is working on ??

You would probably have better response posting in a newsgroup
which specializes in your OS. E.g. sidebar is a Vista only feature.

Otherwise, my guess would be that it is another symptom of the
default automatic zoom that non-standard DPI causes. There are
settings which could disable or change that feature. Have you tried
using them?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "jac" <jaccies@live.nl> schreef in bericht news:5008238C-43E5-4AE6-9757-BB7B46C80D3F@microsoft.com...
>> Since 2 days windows update installed IE8 on my laptop Vista Ultimate.
>> Now i have problem with sidebar it uses 60% CPU all the time.
>> I deleted all gadgets, restarted and still sidebar uses 60% CPU
>> I googled and found someone telling that this is caused by IE8 and DPI problem.
>>
>> I had set the DPI to 120 and when i changed it back to default 96 DPI the problem was gone.
>> Is there a solution for this problem ?, because i like to use 120 DPI on my laptop
>> Thanks

jac

Re: IE8 and dpi
Hi,
This problem i have with IE8 and gadgets in Vista at high DPI's .
The only thing i find out is no HIGH CPU of sidebar.exe of 50% constantly if
you set the DPI to 96 or 120.
Dont use CUSTOM DPI then you will have this problem of high CPU of
sidebar.exe and that the sidebar gadgets will have purple fringes around.

There are settings which could disable or change that feature, i could not
find this feature.
But i am glad 120DPI is working

Jac