Consistent crash in IE 8

Don Eilenberger

Consistent crash in IE 8
Folks, I've been experiencing problems with IE8 - release version
8.0.6001.18702, 64bit Intel, running under Vista Ultimate.

Certain websites crash, and I receive the "Internet Explorer has stopped
working".. yadayada.. Close Program.

I have tried all the troubleshooting given on the MS website, removed
customizations, addins, accelerators, user settings, - the works. Still
happens.

One website that is absolutely consistant is www.hemmings.com - it crashes
each and every time. Hemmings opens fine in IE7, Chrome, and other browser
I've tried (and I have most all of them installed on this machine) - but it
ALWAYS crashes opening in IE8 (and yes - in compatibility mode also.)

Any ideas? Or do I simply switch to Chrome, or go back to IE7 on this machine?

TIA!
Doug

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
Don, I am seeing www.hemmings.com perfectly using IE 7.0.6001.18000 on my
regular PC1 and also perfectly using IE8.0.6001.18702 installed yesterday
via Windows Update on PC2 upstairs. However I do have a different problem
with IE8 (posted just over an hour ago) and so have reverted to IE7 on PC1.
Doug

"Don Eilenberger" <DonEilenberger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:155022FF-7DF1-4DEC-9449-3F72129F13AA@microsoft.com...
> Folks, I've been experiencing problems with IE8 - release version
> 8.0.6001.18702, 64bit Intel, running under Vista Ultimate.
>
> Certain websites crash, and I receive the "Internet Explorer has stopped
> working".. yadayada.. Close Program.
>
> I have tried all the troubleshooting given on the MS website, removed
> customizations, addins, accelerators, user settings, - the works. Still
> happens.
>
> One website that is absolutely consistant is www.hemmings.com - it crashes
> each and every time. Hemmings opens fine in IE7, Chrome, and other
> browser
> I've tried (and I have most all of them installed on this machine) - but
> it
> ALWAYS crashes opening in IE8 (and yes - in compatibility mode also.)
>
> Any ideas? Or do I simply switch to Chrome, or go back to IE7 on this
> machine?
>
> TIA!

> signature database 4048 (20090501) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4048 (20090501) __________

http://www.eset.com

smlunatick

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
On May 1, 4:02*pm, Don Eilenberger
<DonEilenber...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Folks, I've been experiencing problems with IE8 - release version
> 8.0.6001.18702, 64bit Intel, running under Vista Ultimate.
>
> Certain websites crash, and I receive the "Internet Explorer has stopped
> working".. yadayada.. Close Program.
>
> I have tried all the troubleshooting given on the MS website, removed
> customizations, addins, accelerators, user settings, - the works. Still
> happens.
>
> One website that is absolutely consistant iswww.hemmings.com- it crashes
> each and every time. *Hemmings opens fine in IE7, Chrome, and other browser
> I've tried (and I have most all of them installed on this machine) - but it
> ALWAYS crashes opening in IE8 (and yes - in compatibility mode also.)
>
> Any ideas? Or do I simply switch to Chrome, or go back to IE7 on this machine?
>
> TIA!

It is not a general problem with IE 8 a it works on my IE *. It is
probably cause by the anti-virus / anti-spyware / firewall software
installed on your PC.

Revert back to IE 7, clear out any "security" add-ons from IE. Then,
set all IE 7 setting to "defaults." Turn off any "security" software
that "hooks" into IE (such as Spybot: Search and Destroy's
"TeaTimer.) Uninstall printer driver "web" modules (Canon has a "Web"
module.) Download the "full" IE 8 install file (do not rely on the
Windows Update version.) Once the download is complete, temporarily
disable the antivirus (as some do block the updates from completing.)
Doug

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
PS: Forgot to say using Windows Home Premium 32bit.

"smlunatick" wrote:

> It is not a general problem with IE 8 a it works on my IE *. It is
> probably cause by the anti-virus / anti-spyware / firewall software
> installed on your PC.

Actually - it works fine with IE8 on other machines I run it on, but none
of them are 64 bit OS's.

> Revert back to IE 7, clear out any "security" add-ons from IE. Then,
> set all IE 7 setting to "defaults." Turn off any "security" software
> that "hooks" into IE (such as Spybot: Search and Destroy's
> "TeaTimer.) Uninstall printer driver "web" modules (Canon has a "Web"
> module.) Download the "full" IE 8 install file (do not rely on the
> Windows Update version.) Once the download is complete, temporarily
> disable the antivirus (as some do block the updates from completing.)

I can try this - I've already deleted almost everything that hooks into
IE, and disabled what couldn't be deleted. To no good effect.. but
I'll give this a shot.

I had hoped someone else experienced the same problem and knew
what the magic bullet is. Right now Chrome is starting to look better
and better..

Thanks!
rob^_^

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
Hi Don,

The web page is full of markup errors. Ensure you have the setting
"Automatically recover from page layout errors with Compatibility View" on
the Advanced tab of Internet Options checked.
and/or
Add those problem sites to your compatibility view list.
(Tools>Compatibility View Settings)

Compare your settings for the x64 and x86 versions of IE on your machine. (I
don't have it on my Vista machine, so I am guessing to some extent).

If all else fails, do a RIES (Reset IE Settings), the Reset button on the
Advanced tab of Internet Options. This will reset all of IE's settings back
to their factory defaults and disable ALL of your Addons and Downloaded
ActiveX controls.

Possibly, (the page uses Flash), there may be a problem with Flash, but
since I am not using x64, I am only guessing.

Regards.

"Don Eilenberger" <DonEilenberger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8ECA96EC-72A1-42FD-833D-0E1E5236F6B3@microsoft.com...

> "smlunatick" wrote:
>
>> It is not a general problem with IE 8 a it works on my IE *. It is
>> probably cause by the anti-virus / anti-spyware / firewall software
>> installed on your PC.

> Actually - it works fine with IE8 on other machines I run it on, but none
> of them are 64 bit OS's.
>
>> Revert back to IE 7, clear out any "security" add-ons from IE. Then,
>> set all IE 7 setting to "defaults." Turn off any "security" software
>> that "hooks" into IE (such as Spybot: Search and Destroy's
>> "TeaTimer.) Uninstall printer driver "web" modules (Canon has a "Web"
>> module.) Download the "full" IE 8 install file (do not rely on the
>> Windows Update version.) Once the download is complete, temporarily
>> disable the antivirus (as some do block the updates from completing.)

> I can try this - I've already deleted almost everything that hooks into
> IE, and disabled what couldn't be deleted. To no good effect.. but
> I'll give this a shot.
>
> I had hoped someone else experienced the same problem and knew
> what the magic bullet is. Right now Chrome is starting to look better
> and better..
>
> Thanks!

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
1. Does the behavior persist if you access the page in Compatibility Mode?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Don Eilenberger wrote:
> Folks, I've been experiencing problems with IE8 - release version
> 8.0.6001.18702, 64bit Intel, running under Vista Ultimate.
>
> Certain websites crash, and I receive the "Internet Explorer has stopped
> working".. yadayada.. Close Program.
>
> I have tried all the troubleshooting given on the MS website, removed
> customizations, addins, accelerators, user settings, - the works. Still
> happens.
>
> One website that is absolutely consistant is www.hemmings.com - it crashes
> each and every time. Hemmings opens fine in IE7, Chrome, and other
> browser
> I've tried (and I have most all of them installed on this machine) - but
> it
> ALWAYS crashes opening in IE8 (and yes - in compatibility mode also.)
>
> Any ideas? Or do I simply switch to Chrome, or go back to IE7 on this
> machine?
>
> TIA!

RalfG

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
Apparently there is no 64 bit version of Flash (yet?) so if there is Flash
content on the problematic pages that could be the source of the problem.
Using 32bit IE8 is a workaround solution.

> Hi Don,
>
> The web page is full of markup errors. Ensure you have the setting
> "Automatically recover from page layout errors with Compatibility View" on
> the Advanced tab of Internet Options checked.
> and/or
> Add those problem sites to your compatibility view list.
> (Tools>Compatibility View Settings)
>
> Compare your settings for the x64 and x86 versions of IE on your machine.
> (I don't have it on my Vista machine, so I am guessing to some extent).
>
> If all else fails, do a RIES (Reset IE Settings), the Reset button on the
> Advanced tab of Internet Options. This will reset all of IE's settings
> back to their factory defaults and disable ALL of your Addons and
> Downloaded ActiveX controls.
>
> Possibly, (the page uses Flash), there may be a problem with Flash, but
> since I am not using x64, I am only guessing.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Don Eilenberger" <DonEilenberger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:8ECA96EC-72A1-42FD-833D-0E1E5236F6B3@microsoft.com...
>>

>> "smlunatick" wrote:
>>
>>> It is not a general problem with IE 8 a it works on my IE *. It is
>>> probably cause by the anti-virus / anti-spyware / firewall software
>>> installed on your PC.

>> Actually - it works fine with IE8 on other machines I run it on, but none
>> of them are 64 bit OS's.
>>
>>> Revert back to IE 7, clear out any "security" add-ons from IE. Then,
>>> set all IE 7 setting to "defaults." Turn off any "security" software
>>> that "hooks" into IE (such as Spybot: Search and Destroy's
>>> "TeaTimer.) Uninstall printer driver "web" modules (Canon has a "Web"
>>> module.) Download the "full" IE 8 install file (do not rely on the
>>> Windows Update version.) Once the download is complete, temporarily
>>> disable the antivirus (as some do block the updates from completing.)

>> I can try this - I've already deleted almost everything that hooks into
>> IE, and disabled what couldn't be deleted. To no good effect.. but
>> I'll give this a shot.
>>
>> I had hoped someone else experienced the same problem and knew
>> what the magic bullet is. Right now Chrome is starting to look better
>> and better..
>>
>> Thanks!

Don Eilenberger

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
PA Bear - thanks much. Answers below.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you access the page in Compatibility Mode?

Yes. No change. I had to also remove IE8 from my wife's laptop when it did
the same thing on http://www.newyorkjets.com - identical problem. Doesn't do
it with IE7.

> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

Yes.

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

Tried it. Same problem. Consistant on both my wife's laptop at home (HP
running XP) and my work machine (homebrew dual core, Vista64-Business) - on
both these websites.

I just tried what someone suggested - uninstalling IE8, then reinstalling it
yet again - and no change.

I think it was Einstein who said "The definition of idiocy is repeatedly
doing what failed.." - I'm starting to feel like an idiot

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

Yes. Did this on work machine. I did it using inetcpl.cpl - first trying it
with retaining login-passwords - didn't help, in desperation - went back did
it again letting it delete logins and passwords (PITA..) didn't help.

> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

Haven't done this yet. Will try.

> 5a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?

Sophos AV, no firewall (I do that with hardware upstream), and nothing
running in the background but Sophos, Webshots desktop, Feedreader 3.14.

> 5b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Nope. Never ever. I avoid them like the plague.. plus my Sophos license
allows for unlimited home use of Sophos for company employees - and since I
administer it - I take advantage of this.

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Thanks much. Will try SafeMode..

Just tried to get it to start in SafeMode - hitting F5/F8/F1 during boot
screen.. nothing happened. Started in normal mode.

Hmm. Chrome is starting to look better and better.

FWIW - browsers on this same machine that work fine with both websites:
(I use this machine to test our company website for browser compatibility..)

Safari - both open fine
Firefox - both open fine
Chrome - both open fine
Opera - both open fine
Avant - (ver 11.7b26) Opens the www.newyorkjets.com page - but doesn't load
the center section of the page. It crashes on www.hemmings.com - doesn't
Avant use the IE rendering engine? Avant seems to go into limbo at times -
and stops responding.

Re: Consistent crash in IE 8
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Assuming you're not running Avant browser w/IE8 installed, try disabling
your anti-virus application prior to installing (and uninstalling) IE8. All
other running applications (e.g., Avant; Webshots; Feedreader) should be
closed, too.
--
~PA Bear

Don Eilenberger wrote:
> [...]

> administer it - I take advantage of this.
>
> Thanks much. Will try SafeMode..
>
> Just tried to get it to start in SafeMode - hitting F5/F8/F1 during boot
> screen.. nothing happened. Started in normal mode.
>
> Hmm. Chrome is starting to look better and better.
>
> FWIW - browsers on this same machine that work fine with both websites:
> (I use this machine to test our company website for browser
> compatibility..)
>
> Safari - both open fine
> Firefox - both open fine
> Chrome - both open fine
> Opera - both open fine
> Avant - (ver 11.7b26) Opens the www.newyorkjets.com page - but doesn't
> load
> the center section of the page. It crashes on www.hemmings.com - doesn't
> Avant use the IE rendering engine? Avant seems to go into limbo at

<paste>