IE8: inconsistent results on local PC when editing web pages via "View Source"

Doug

IE8: inconsistent results on local PC when editing web pages via "View Source"
I am using a standard dual core PC with Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

With Microsoft now offering IE8 as a regular download I decided (after
giving up on it for three weeks) to try again, so I recently allowed Windows
Update to install on two of my computers, with the same result on each of
them.

Before running Windows Update, I completely disabled all of ESET Smart
Security, and then, using Autoruns, I closed down all logon startups other
than:

Userinit Logon Application and Windows Explorer

I believe I have complied with the advice given on this newsgroup:

"... to disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protections
afforded any anti-spyware applications, and your third-party firewall (if
any) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing IE8 &
rebooting twice after install."

In spite of my care, I have this curious experience. Using IE8, when I
right-click and select View Source, some of the web pages on my local
machine (in folder C:\webs) open "correctly" (that is as they have always
done in IE3/4/5/6/7) as locally editable files in:

C:\webs\sitefolder\index.htm

Remote examples (that edit "normally" on my local PC):
http://www.energyassessor.org/epc.htm
http://www.energyassessor.org/commercialepc.htm
http://www.energyassessor.org/hips.htm
http://www.energyassessor.org/resources.htm

whereas others that are almost indistinguishable open as un-editable
temporary internet files with this sort of pathname:

C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\LFWERI1W\index[1]

Remote examples that refuse to edit "normally" on my local PC, but instead
open as temporary internet files:
http://www.energyassessor.org/index.htm
http://www.energyassessor.org/contact.htm

(Of course they will look a bit odd if you download them, as they won't have
the style sheet, but you might spot something in the source code that makes
the first four behave differently from the last two.)

All the files have the same DOCTYPE declaration (XHTML), all have been
checked with HTML Tidy, all validate at:

http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload

yet in IE8 some are editable via the context menu and others are not, and I
can find no basis for the distinction.

One possible lead - on one of my machines, for a period of about 20 minutes
and after rebooting twice and then restoring all my security software, IE8
DID work "properly", and then a message popped up as follows:

==================
WinPatrol File Type Change Alert
(WinPatrol) ... has detected a change to one of your file type associations:
..URL

The program currently associated with this type of file type is:
Windows host process (Rundll32)
Microsoft Corporation
rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l

A change was made to use the following program for this file type.
Windows host process (Rundll32)
Microsoft Corporation
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe C:\Windows\System32\ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l

Is this change ok?
[Yes] [No]
==================

I answered Yes and then found some of the files would open as editable and
others as temporary internet files.

I would mention that, when I uninstalled IE8 on one of my machines, I got
the same WinPatrol message but reversed, and I again answered Yes. And
anyway I feel that both associations should work the same, so I feel the
message was probably an insignificant coincidence. The odd thing to me seems
to be the inconsistency.

Of course I appreciate that, having integrated IE within Windows, Microsoft
have peculiar difficulties.

Ah well, I have one machine set up with IE8 to experiment with, and the
other set up with IE7 to get some work done.

Doug

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4048 (20090501) __________

http://www.eset.com