Compatibility View Button

WMB

Compatibility View Button
Windows XP(Home) SP3, IE 8, OE 6; Fully Updated

Hi, Right Clicking a tool bar gives a list of tool bars and buttons that can
be added to my tool bars. One of them is the "Compatibility View button".
"Ticking or Unticking" this item does not place the 'Torn Page' image on the
tool bar. From pictures I've seen this 'Torn Page' image should be placed
between the Refresh and Stop buttons. How can I troubleshoot to get this
function to work?

Info: This is my 3rd Install of IE 8, I believe I did see the 'Torn Page'
image after this last install.

I have to use "Control Click" to open new Tabs in the same Window rather
than a new Window.

Previously, the Torn Page image has displayed when going to a particular
site that I can no longer remember, so I can check again.

Undoubtedly, this is a change that I may have caused but I have no idea what
I did.

Help or any pointers will really be appreciated.

Kai Schaetzl

Re: Compatibility View Button
Wmb schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:39:00 -0400:

> Hi, Right Clicking a tool bar gives a list of tool bars and buttons that can
> be added to my tool bars. One of them is the "Compatibility View button".
> "Ticking or Unticking" this item does not place the 'Torn Page' image on the
> tool bar. From pictures I've seen this 'Torn Page' image should be placed
> between the Refresh and Stop buttons.

it will only display if it makes sense to display it. If you want to get it,
switch it on. It will appear on those pages where it should appear.

Kai
--
Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

WMB

Re: Compatibility View Button
Thank you Kai, That helps alot.

"Kai Schaetzl" <kai@mvps.org.invalid> wrote in message
> Wmb schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:39:00 -0400:
>
>> Hi, Right Clicking a tool bar gives a list of tool bars and buttons that
>> can
>> be added to my tool bars. One of them is the "Compatibility View button".
>> "Ticking or Unticking" this item does not place the 'Torn Page' image on
>> the
>> tool bar. From pictures I've seen this 'Torn Page' image should be placed
>> between the Refresh and Stop buttons.

> it will only display if it makes sense to display it. If you want to get
> it,
> switch it on. It will appear on those pages where it should appear.
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Terri B.

Re: Compatibility View Button
My comp. torn page does not appear and when I click on tools>compatibility
view....its greyed out. so I can't 'tick' it. How do I get it to work?

"Kai Schaetzl" wrote:

> Wmb schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:39:00 -0400:
>
> > Hi, Right Clicking a tool bar gives a list of tool bars and buttons that can
> > be added to my tool bars. One of them is the "Compatibility View button".
> > "Ticking or Unticking" this item does not place the 'Torn Page' image on the
> > tool bar. From pictures I've seen this 'Torn Page' image should be placed
> > between the Refresh and Stop buttons.

> it will only display if it makes sense to display it. If you want to get it,
> switch it on. It will appear on those pages where it should appear.
>
> Kai
> --
> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Robert Aldwinckle

"Terri B." <TerriB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44E93E67-655D-4673-8F18-ED76CC5629CC@microsoft.com...
> My comp. torn page does not appear and when I click on tools>compatibility
> view....its greyed out. so I can't 'tick' it. How do I get it to work?

You can use the Developer Tools (press F12) and change
the Browser mode or Document Mode settings manually.

Post a sample publicly accessible URL where you are seeing
this symptom if you need more help.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "Kai Schaetzl" wrote:
>
>> Wmb schrieb am Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:39:00 -0400:
>>
>> > Hi, Right Clicking a tool bar gives a list of tool bars and buttons that can
>> > be added to my tool bars. One of them is the "Compatibility View button".
>> > "Ticking or Unticking" this item does not place the 'Torn Page' image on the
>> > tool bar. From pictures I've seen this 'Torn Page' image should be placed
>> > between the Refresh and Stop buttons.

>> it will only display if it makes sense to display it. If you want to get it,
>> switch it on. It will appear on those pages where it should appear.
>>
>> Kai
>> --
>> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
>> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Terri B.

Re: Compatibility View Button
Thanks very much but I should not have to use developer tools to be able to
'tick' the compatibility view button and make it function. This was
supposed to be generic to I.E. along with the torn page icon. I just want to
be able to activate the comp. view button and wonder why it is greyed out.

Terri B

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Terri B." <TerriB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44E93E67-655D-4673-8F18-ED76CC5629CC@microsoft.com...
> > My comp. torn page does not appear and when I click on tools>compatibility
> > view....its greyed out. so I can't 'tick' it. How do I get it to work?

> You can use the Developer Tools (press F12) and change
> the Browser mode or Document Mode settings manually.
>
> Post a sample publicly accessible URL where you are seeing
> this symptom if you need more help.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

> >> it will only display if it makes sense to display it. If you want to get it,
> >> switch it on. It will appear on those pages where it should appear.
> >>
> >> Kai
> >> --
> >> Helpsites about Windows: http://www.mvps.org
> >> IE repair script: http://iefaq.info

Terri B.

Re: Compatibility View Button
Update...I fixed it from a post on another thread...
I just unticked all the settings at the bottom of the settings page and it
works fine now.

"check Tools > Compatibility View Settings - if either of the bottom 2
options are ticked then the option will be greyed out for those types of
sites. "