For pre-deployment tests I'm trying to change an existing IE8 configuration
in a domain environment using the automatic configuration feature of IE.
Our problem is: The settings from the INS file will not be applied. (I
simply defined another title bar string and two favorites to add in the ins.)
Here is our configuration:
- XP SP2 Client, W2K3s DC (SP2)
- I packaged an IE8 package with IEAK8 and predefined any relevant settings.
- I also applied group policies to enforce certain security related settings.
- Through GPO, I used the IEM extension to tell IE8 the location of the
automatic configuration script.
- The IE8.ins is located on an IIS with guest access enabled
- Automatic configuration is configured to apply it's settings once at
startup (0 mins)
Here's what I found out so far:
The IEM GPO extension seems to generate an ins-file to apply it's settings
to the browser. I see the browser applying this ins file in
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\brndlog.txt without any error message.
When I start up the browser, IE downloads the IE8.ins file from the
webserver into the 'temporary internet files' location. The downloaded ins
file contains all desired settings (e.g. title bar, favorites, reference to
The IE8 installation does not only not apply the settings, it also does not
download the cab file from the webserver which is also confusing to me. I
don't have any logfile to start on with troubleshooting, brndlog.txt is not
updated in such a case (I did a snapshot). In MSDN/Technet I was unable to
find any related information which is digging deep enough.
Ah, 'Disable external branding of Internet Explorer' is not configured
Has anyone run into a similar issue or has a tip to start with? I see the
iedkcs32.dll having registry activity at this stage but no logfile...